How do you de-stress?

Options

Replies

• ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Having a break from the 4 walls of the house, walking along the beach. Early morning or evenings are the best, when there's not many if any people around. Sooo calming and peaceful.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    My goal is to start de-stressing. I have 3 kids (6,3,2) and the toddlers are.... well.. they're walking little germy stress balls for me. Basically just being normal toddlers.
    The stress caused me to have chest pains which scared the bejeezus out of me before knowing that it was stress related.

Was just curious what everyone does to relieve their stress?

I plan on doing crafts that I love. Like crocheting, or making cute little crafty things. Stuff I loved doing before but just let everything else get in front of.

If you can figure out ways that your kids can be included on the doing of crafts, I bet you could have a lot of fun together and see some of that stress slip away.

I enjoy making things from polymer clay, which has to be cured in an oven at 275F, but, until it is cured it can be molded and manipulated endlessly. Even 6 yrs old can have fun with that.
    Playdoh is sort of like that except that playdoh air dries after time out of the can.

good luck and have fun with the kids while they are little.
  • ElC_76
    edited November 2018
    Options
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Having a break from the 4 walls of the house, walking along the beach. Early morning or evenings are the best, when there's not many if any people around. Sooo calming and peaceful.

Ohh, that's my summer stress release strategy, my winter is sitting by a fire in the bush sipping on tea or hot chocolate, having a bbq and wood cutting collecting wood for home open fire.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Exercise using you tube videos
    reading
    prayer
    checking into healthy and fitness
  • DaytimeDuchess
    DaytimeDuchess Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I :'(!
  • ElC_76
    Options

Aww,... Hugs for you. I think most of us do that too.. :)<3
  • ElC_76
    Options
    Paddling, fishing, hiking and other outdoor pursuits. I hate winter; going in to high stress season now. And it kicks off with the ever stressful holidays...

Not sure why anyone would woo this.

Have a hug to balance it out. Hope winter goes quickly for you.

Looks like they wooed you too. I probably come off as a Grinch and I am not or at least I don't want to be. But the holidays are nothing like what they once were in my family. I hope winter is quick also. I am grumpy today as the wet chill has my joints complaining and makes it hard to pretend that getting fit has made me young again...

I hope u find something this winter ( my summer) to luv winter for. Then u can b happy all year round. Hugs for you too, hope to see u happy soon
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do a few crafts too (I think I like that you actually have a finish line and see things completed - so unlike parenting!)

Going for walks is great - getting out in nature helps me feel better. We got our dog a couple of years ago, so I definitely walk more now, plus she is a great companion.

I also do Tai chi - learning the routines is a bit of a mental challenge, and then practicing the ones I have learned is really relaxing. And I have met some lovely people there too.
  • DaytimeDuchess
    DaytimeDuchess Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Aww,... Hugs for you. I think most of us do that too.. :)<3

Thank you! <3B)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Paddling, fishing, hiking and other outdoor pursuits. I hate winter; going in to high stress season now. And it kicks off with the ever stressful holidays...

Not sure why anyone would woo this.

Have a hug to balance it out. Hope winter goes quickly for you.

Looks like they wooed you too. I probably come off as a Grinch and I am not or at least I don't want to be. But the holidays are nothing like what they once were in my family. I hope winter is quick also. I am grumpy today as the wet chill has my joints complaining and makes it hard to pretend that getting fit has made me young again...

I hope u find something this winter ( my summer) to luv winter for. Then u can b happy all year round. Hugs for you too, hope to see u happy soon

I used to when I was younger. I lived out west and skied 50+ days a few years. The first day or two of snow still makes me smile. The novelty wears off pretty quick now. I can't stand cold rainy days.
  • MIpiccolo
    MIpiccolo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is something I really need to figure out. My kids are 8, 6 and 3 - then I babysit before/after school for 2 6 year olds, a 5, a 4, a 2 year old. So once the kids all go to bed I just want sugary snacks as a stress relief 🙄😵
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    My goal is to start de-stressing. I have 3 kids (6,3,2) and the toddlers are.... well.. they're walking little germy stress balls for me. Basically just being normal toddlers.
    The stress caused me to have chest pains which scared the bejeezus out of me before knowing that it was stress related.

Was just curious what everyone does to relieve their stress?

I plan on doing crafts that I love. Like crocheting, or making cute little crafty things. Stuff I loved doing before but just let everything else get in front of.

To unload/deload and destress, my fitness ("maintenance") go-tos are any of the following:
    • Meditation (and prayer) usually outdoors by the boulders at the moment
    • Hiking through the Citrus Groves, especially when the blossoms are out or by the California Red Pepper trees, when they're fragrancing the breeze
    • Full body massage course treatments (I usually do my own and if not, I'll massage my sister for example, for it relaxes me)
    • Scheduled nap time on 2 days within my work-week.
    • Swimming - freestyle usually, not my preferred breaststrokes (if I need to cry, it just helps when I'm in water lol doing laps. Breaking down with the waterworks, can be so undignifying).

My wind-down almost lounge relaxed mode go-tos time-permitting sometimes are:
    • Chunky blanket knitting (which we donate)
    • Helping out at the Food Pantry as a volunteer, even when my God-son who is still a toddler is in. He usually helps with the Fresh Produce all gloved-up and enthusiastic.
    • Karaoke/Line dancing to do "the silly" and just be
    • Flexibility routines to center me; My balance
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    In no particular order: Exercise, meditation, painting/creating art work, reading, walking the dogs, playing a video game now and then, watching movies (at home or theater)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    MIpiccolo wrote: »
    This is something I really need to figure out. My kids are 8, 6 and 3 - then I babysit before/after school for 2 6 year olds, a 5, a 4, a 2 year old. So once the kids all go to bed I just want sugary snacks as a stress relief 🙄😵

food is fuel, not comfort. (sometimes delicious fuel)
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

food is fuel, not comfort. (sometimes delicious fuel)

Yeah, that's the logical thought but I know that I personally am where I am because of 25 years of a bad habit of using food for comfort, now so ingrained that it is really difficult to untrain myself. But I have hope it can be done.

OP don't make the mistake I have, which is to give up the things you love because of another big commitment. Please try to find the time to do something that you love each day, even if it is only for half an hour. My experience is a lesson in what not to do. I took on a big commitment which I wanted, then decided I didn't have anytime for the hobbies that I loved. Then found my stress levels high, then returned to old habit of eating for comfort/stress relief. Now I am heavily overweight (in fact too overweight to do the hobbies I used to love) and mentally and physically exhausted! What would have been more productive was to make time for the hobbies (I mean I knew I was a stress/emotional eater, have been since 15).
  • Phoebe356
    Phoebe356 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am trying to meditate. So far my record is 3 days in a row.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

How about a hot bath? Throw in some bubbles? Light a candle, dim the lights, and daydream about something pleasant until the water cools off.