How do you conquer the fear of gaining?

Replies

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    @nowine4me Thanks. A number of years ago I lost weight and like you gained it back. Yes, this time I have a much better understanding of what I need to do. It just helps to know others had the same fear of gaining it back.

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    By understanding that it's just part of the struggle and if I'm serious about this, it's a part of the struggle I must overcome same as any other aspect...

If I want to keep it off, I have to be able to do it through holidays, through times where I can't workout, through anything life throws at me...

It's all part of it
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Congrats on losing 76lbs - terrfic job :smile: It takes a long time for the head to catch up. Keep doing what you did to lose but now you get to enjoy extra calories. Step on the scale daily/weekly/monthly (whatever you've been used to), and use a trending app. After you have several weeks and then months of data you will start feeling confident in your ability to maintain that loss.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I downloaded the Happy Scale app and I really like the way it works - simple and to the point. I appreciate the suggestion.
    @sijomial Do you just eat more of what you normally eat for the increased calories, or did you add an extra snack/meal? I'm wondering because we share the same cycling interest. Did you add extra protein, or a high calorie recovery drink/meal after workouts?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I downloaded the Happy Scale app and I really like the way it works - simple and to the point. I appreciate the suggestion.
    @sijomial Do you just eat more of what you normally eat for the increased calories, or did you add an extra snack/meal? I'm wondering because we share the same cycling interest. Did you add extra protein, or a high calorie recovery drink/meal after workouts?

A bit of everything really, larger portions, a lot more snacks, different food choices, have breakfast more often (it's an optional meal for me).
    I specifically fuel more rides than I used to (I don't need to fuel rides of up to 2hrs but get a slight performance benefit for the higher intensity ones, longer rides I've always fuelled for).
    I keep protein in mind but I think in terms of grams rather than percentages and it's not difficult to get enough with a high calorie allowance. High protein is a bit less important when maintaining compared to when losing weight but my exercise and age makes it sensible to have a high'ish amount.

This time of year takes a little conscious adjustment as my cycling mileage drops dramatically and I have to remember to take that into account (snacks and alcohol are the first things to prune back).
    I weigh daily to keep a rough idea of trends.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I don't do the trending app thing. I have a range big enough that I consider even a spike over the limit to indicate I need to cut for a bit and drop a couple. It could be within a few days that I see it really was that big of a spike and I can chill again. I don't look back at my history much either. That kind of attention to detail over time would be unsustainable for me so I don't do it.
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    The strongest tool you have is the habit of ‘logging’. The numbers don’t lie. Also, watch how your clothes fit, if there is a change with that, it is time to tighten up the calorie count. Fear is not irrational, it will help keep you slim. Congrats on your loss, that is magnificent! :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I think we have all been there. While losing, I developed a mindset of cutting calories everywhere I possibly could, and now I sometimes have to catch myself thinking that way and make myself stop. Sometimes I really could use a snack, have the calories for it, and still think I should skip it. I have to tell myself to just eat the kitten protein bar already.

The best way to do it is honestly just to do it. After you have been in maintenance for a while, you gradually come to trust your maintenance routine and the fear of gaining gets better. Remember that you are in control of your weight. Gaining is not just something that happens to you; it's something that happens or doesn't happen because of your routines. I'm a lot less afraid of things that I can control.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    You did a terrific job addressing your weight. I am finding that the work is never done because we eat every day. So I face facts every day.

CICO works for me. If I am going out for dinner, I assume hidden butters and oils and overestimate calories in my log. My phone step-counter is linked to MFP. Yes I log every day. It works for me. If I’m up to the top of my five pound range I go right back to the stricter routine that brought me to -175.

You will feel more intuitive over time. You have the ability to lose if needed. We all have to “watch it.” The fact that you posted is a sign that you are on top of the situation!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Oma827 wrote: »
    You will feel more intuitive over time.

Interesting thing about that. I haven't gotten significantly better at it but I usually realize early in the day that my appetite and self control are pushing me toward some choices that won't be easy to counteract. That doesn't always stop me from continuing to make those sorts of choices (this is not an entirely rational thing) but it is an improvement over failed maintenance attempts in the past when I often didn't think there was a problem until I was up a few pounds.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Just live one day at a time and log and weigh your food and weigh every day. Don’t lie on the log about what you are eating and don’t skip weighing yourself. All the data will tell you, that you are eating maintenance and you will not gain it back.

It takes some time after losing a lot of weight to feel normal. I’m 8 months into maintenance after a 75 lb loss. I do all I suggested above. I’m actually just now starting to feel normal at maintenance, not starving all the time or feeling weird or over skinny (which I’m not). I’m starting to feel like me, but I’m still surprised at how I look when I see my reflection. I hear after a year, your brain finally catches up to your body size. I’m waiting for that to happen, but it’s getting better every week.
  • pe4sandra2
    pe4sandra2 Posts: 39 Member
    I'm new to maintenance. After all the work and dedication it has taken to lose 76 pounds I'm afraid of gaining. This is really a mindset issue I know.

The intellectual side of my brain knows to simply add in more calories and monitor my weight trend in the same way I did while losing. I know the scale will fluctuate and I need to maintain within a range. I'm familiar with water weight fluctuations due to exercise stress and increased carb/salt intake at times. I know all that...

But I still have an irrational fear. I don't want to return to that fat, former me. How have you maintainers managed the (irrational) mental aspect of maintenance? I'm sure many if not most of you have gone through what I'm describing. How do you cope?

I'm afraid too, but I don't think the fear is irrational. We worked hard and it's scary to think we could go back to our old weight. For me, the fear comes in waves. Some days are harder than others. The worst is when I start pacing back and forth in my kitchen. My heart literally beats faster, and I feel like the former, chubby me (and all of her bad eating habits) is fighting to get out. I cope by taking calm breaths. I take 3-5 calm breaths and while I'm taking those breaths I plant my feet firmly on the ground. I make a conscious effort to feel the ground beneath my feet and it helps to calm my mind and body. Sometimes I have to do a few rounds before feeling better. It doesn't seem like much, but it's very soothing and I feel more present and in control after a mini-meditation session.