I want to drown myself in ice cream (but the same time, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat again)

Options
(Warnings: very sad, very personal, & not entirely food-&-fitness related)

The news reports are referring to my nephew* as "the pedestrian." That's pending the autopsy and the notification of people like me that he was the 33rd traffic-related fatality in Portland this year.

(*For anyone who remembers some of my earlier posts, this is not the nephew who got married this last summer. I have two nephews. Had two.)

My late nephew, who had been homeless and struggling with meth addiction, was collecting cans and bottles from among cars parked on a suburban street when the row of parked cars was struck by a drunk and speeding driver. (Live by the addiction, die by the addiction....(Is that a reasonable thought for me to be having right now?))

The driver has been arrested and is in jail. I want to murder the *kitten*; and I also want to see him through rehab and watch him become a reformed person and live a decent and reasonable life. I have to admit to googling him: he is ten years younger than my nephew was, and what strikes me most is that his photos and playlists remind me of my nephew's photos and playlists from ten years ago. The universe is, indeed, run on irony.

And, in keeping with the day's apparent spirit of contradiction, I want to immerse myself and my sorrows in ice cream; but my stomach is in knots that make me feel like I constantly want to throw up. I have no idea what, or whether, I will eat today.

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Addiction is a terrible thing and to watch someone we love struggle is absolutely heartbreaking.

Be kind to yourself. Cry and yell and scream if you need to. Your thoughts sound totally sane considering what you are going through.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry. You still have two nephews. Don't try to make sense of your thoughts right now (whether or not they are 'reasonable'). This will all take a long time to process.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Addiction is horrible. Be a jumbled mess for now, It's okay to feel however you are feeling. And it's okay to eat all the ice cream you can fit in, or nothing at all (for now). As you start to feel stronger in the coming days, regain your balance. Vent as much as you need to. And take time to grieve.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss.
  • OvershareUsername
    OvershareUsername Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My heart breaks for you. Healing thoughts to you and yours.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Watching a loved one go through addiction is horrible, now he is gone forever yet in your heart forever. Grief has no set rules, but in time it will improve. Vent as little or as much as you need.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I live in Portland and saw the story on the news this morning.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you're going through right now, but as others have said, I think the way you're feeling makes perfect sense in the situation.
  • DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Iam sorry hun
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry for the loss of your nephew.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    My prayers are with you and your family at this time.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. All your thoughts and feelings are valid and reasonable, let yourself grieve in whatever way comes natural to you, everyone has to work through the process in their own way. Hugs.
  • wannabesmaller2017
    wannabesmaller2017 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry for your loss.