JUST GIVE ME 10 DAYS - ROUND 59

Replies

• DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member

@deepwoodslady We used to stay at a little lodge in Colorado. We aren’t hunters and we’re quite disturbed to come out of our cabin and discover elk hanging from every tree! Hunters were sitting outside their cabins hacking up and packing into huge coolers those (formerly) beautiful animals. It made us all sad.

I agree with you 100% on the hunting. As an animal lover, it is certainly something that I just could not do. I am originally a city girl so I found all the hunting and fishing I've seen to be disturbing when I first moved here. I try not to dwell on it now. Many people who live in this area actually do hunt, fish or farm their own food. And "city folks" like I used to be come north to hunt as well. It is just not something I am accustomed to. With Ruby the Chicken, my greatest fear in taking her to the nearby farm was that she would eventually be slaughtered for meat when she no longer can produce viable eggs (if she can even do so now). But I also know that they have the coops, the roosting boxes, the egg boxes, the heat during our brutal winters, the proper food and knowledge and that whatever life she has left, she would be most comfortable. But trust me, I lost sleep every night she was here. There are actually "buck poles" all over town on the main roads in front of businesses who hold contests so it is common to see deer hanging everywhere, even in front of our small clothing stores! I try not to look. Like you, I always feel sad. It is during these times the most that I more understand vegetarians. I am with you on how sad this practice is. I only pray it is not for sport or display, but for food.

I have a lot of hunters and even more fisher(people) in my family. Every single last one eats the meat, and no one decorates in dead animal (which is my reference to taxidermy). It is the "greenest" meat possible, since all those animals lived wild until the very last bad day. I also have vegetarians and vegans in the family, and completely understand their stance, but it isn't mine. I used to say that if I had to hunt to feed my kids, I'd do it, but now that my kids are grown and I'm officially out of generating for the gene pool, I'd just go veg.