Post antibiotics gut tips? & probiotic recommendation?

2»

Replies

• swatson99
    swatson99 Posts: 53 Member
    I went on antibiotics and the pharmacy label on the bottle told me to go on probiotics. I didn't and got diarrhea the very first day. Second day I ate yogurt galore and it had zero effect and i still had diarrhea. Day 3 I got on Renew Life brand Women's Care Ultimate Flora Probiotic (at Walmart) and had no diarrhea for the rest of the 10 days on antibiotics. So yeah they work.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    kefir (home made is better than shop bought)
    dark chocolate
    natural yoghurt
    cloudy cider
    and red wine

sorted

+1 on the home made kefir. It not only tastes better, it's way cheaper and extremely easy to do.

Recipe please :)

Cheers, h.

Equipment needed: milk (not ultra-filtered; not lactose-free)with whatever fat content you prefer
    jar - I use a two liter mason jar and make a liter at a time. You can make less or more :)
    paper coffee filter, napkin or paper towel to secure with a rubber band, or a mason jar
    ring
    fine-ish mesh strainer which can be metal or plastic - you can't keep kefir in contact with
    metal for long but for straining purposes metal is fine
    kefir grains - I use about a tablespoon for a liter to make a batch in 24 hours

Process: Put the grains and the milk in your jar, cover the jar with paper of some sort, and set it on the counter or in a cupboard for about 24 hours. Strain it into a plastic or glass container and refrigerate. Take your strained kefir grains and plop them back into the jar with more milk. Or if you want to slow the process down you can refrigerate the kefir in 250ml of milk or so for up to a week and then strain and plop them in the jar. That 250 ml is usually fully kefir'ed and I use it happily. Handy website here: https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/category/milk-kefir/

Get some kefir starter grains (either from a friend or buy them - amazon.uk has them here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Kefir-Grains-Highest-Quality/dp/B06XYMQ5X5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542670219&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=kefir+grains&psc=1

Reconstituting dried kefir grains simply involves adding them to a cup of milk and changing the milk daily for a couple of days until they are fluffy and white.

You can add fruit or whatever you want if you prefer. It seems best to store it in the fridge plain and add any additional ingredients as you go.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    katijjaa wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for helping. It seems that articles discouraging the use of antibiotics all goes back to one Israeli study and their sample is very small. It still kinda makes sense that using probiotic may hinder the body's ability to produce on its own. I think I will stick to eating healthy and fermented food with bone broth and so on for at least 3 weeks before taking probiotic and florastor. What do you guys think?

Also my friend's doctor suggested that she eats expired yogurt for a month and that really fixed her gut problems so I was thinking of doing the same. Only as I live in Mexico, I can't find any yogurt or kefir that does not have sugar.

Sometimes I can only find Plain Yogurt in the larger containers. Lately I started making my own, and much prefer it.
    Leftovers? https://www.marthastewart.com/1072730/ten-delicious-ideas-plain-yogurt?slide=3465864
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited November 2018
    kamaclaire wrote: »
    Recent research casts doubt on the effectiveness of taking probiotics post-antibiotics. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180906141640.htm

That's nice, but it was just released, so no peer review yet - don't assume it's factual science at this point please.

Also, the research talked about "many people's digestive tracts prevent standard probiotics from successfully colonizing" and "In the first study, 25 human volunteers underwent upper endoscopies and colonoscopies to sample their baseline microbiome in regions of the gut" - which doesn't directly relate to your summary about taking post-antibiotics.

A lot of people don't understand statistical analysis of research (p-hacking), peer review importance of any research to validate findings, or will take one study in a specific experiment metrics and then apply them generally to the field as a whole. They mean well, but ignorance and assumptions of understanding can lead to dangerous misinformation.
  • ClaireEZ2
    ClaireEZ2 Posts: 8 Member
    jondspen wrote: »
    That's nice, but it was just released, so no peer review yet - don't assume it's factual science at this point please.

I included qualifiers twice. There is no reasonable interpretation of my statements that leads to them being a claim of indisputable fact.

But while we are talking about "factual" science, there is still way too much we know that we don't know about the gut microbiome to not be skeptical about health claims of companies in the business of selling probiotics, which are not tailored to an individual's actual gut microbiome.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    kefir (home made is better than shop bought)
    dark chocolate
    natural yoghurt
    cloudy cider
    and red wine

sorted

+1 on the home made kefir. It not only tastes better, it's way cheaper and extremely easy to do.

Recipe please :)

Cheers, h.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/milk-kefir/how-to-find-milk-kefir-grains/

Kefir grains are what you need.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    you can get kefir grain either by buying them OR if you check on facebook join a fermenting group and people will send you them for free because they grow like wild fire so everyone usually has plenty spare.

I started making it for my Dalmatian after he was o antibiotics for an ear infection and I didnt want to give him the robiotic the vets gave me as wasnt sure on purine content.

anyway, now between me, my youngest son, my gran and my 2 dogs we get through 4lts a week.

it has a taste that you either love or hate but when added to smoothies or such like blends in leaving no taste,.
    my gran takes it every day by the spoon full (6 tables ) when she takes her morning tablets
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    you can get kefir grain either by buying them OR if you check on facebook join a fermenting group and people will send you them for free because they grow like wild fire so everyone usually has plenty spare.

I started making it for my Dalmatian after he was o antibiotics for an ear infection and I didnt want to give him the robiotic the vets gave me as wasnt sure on purine content.

anyway, now between me, my youngest son, my gran and my 2 dogs we get through 4lts a week.

it has a taste that you either love or hate but when added to smoothies or such like blends in leaving no taste,.
    my gran takes it every day by the spoon full (6 tables ) when she takes her morning tablets

If they are to be sent across international borders, just check to make sure it's actually allowed. Some countries have restrictions on what can and what cannot be sent across the border (living organisms and food stuffs are sometimes problematic)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

If they are to be sent across international borders, just check to make sure it's actually allowed. Some countries have restrictions on what can and what cannot be sent across the border (living organisms and food stuffs are sometimes problematic)

shouldnt need to be, should be easy to find some in what ever country your in
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    ClaireEZ2 wrote: »
    Recent research casts doubt on the effectiveness of taking probiotics post-antibiotics.
    I included qualifiers twice. There is no reasonable interpretation of my statements that leads to them being a claim of indisputable fact.
    I see where you said casts doubt once, so where's your second qualifier, b/c most people would take that link as you providing scientific evidence probiotics are useless post anti-biotics, which you misrepresented the paper as directly addressing. So yes, there is a reasonable interpretation that it is fact. Just because you come back after the fact and qualify it as not being indisputable, doens't negate the impression it initially conveyed. Otherwise, you have have quantified it in the initial comment. Also, I never made any claim about "indisputable fact", just stated no way to know if the experiment was properly conducted.
    I just stated the until peer review has been done, even the researches can't be 100% their data and conclusions are accurate. Maybe their is something in their study the overlooked or failed to consider.

ClaireEZ2 wrote: »
    But while we are talking about "factual" science, there is still way too much we know that we don't know about the gut microbiome to not be skeptical about health claims of companies in the business of selling probiotics, which are not tailored to an individual's actual gut microbiome.

Sure...in fact I think I pointed out the same fact from the paper you mentioned
    "many people's digestive tracts prevent standard probiotics from successfully colonizing"

Seems like you are being defensive b/c I highlighted people are ignorant about how to critically evaluate scientific research and interpretation of the data. Regardless of any of that,you took a study that had nothing to do with post antibiotics and passed it off as "possible" evidence of the ineffectiveness of probiotics. It wasn't intentional, but you inadvertently compared apples to oranges, and instead of owning up to that, you argue off on some "absolute" tangent. That and the comment below is what you seem to be really getting defensive about, instead of just admitting you weren't as clear and concise in your communications as you could have been.
    A lot of people don't understand statistical analysis of research (p-hacking), peer review importance of any research to validate findings, or will take one study in a specific experiment metrics and then apply them generally to the field as a whole. They mean well, but ignorance and assumptions of understanding can lead to dangerous misinformation.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

shouldnt need to be, should be easy to find some in what ever country your in

True, but people don't automatically think about borders being potentially a problem. And in some places, it might be harder to get a hold of because of language barrier. :wink: