November Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Took a hot bath with lavender salts. Listening to fav country music songs. All settled in my loft to read Oprah’s favorite things issue now.

I'm having a soak tonight too!🤜🤛
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started watching a new to me so on Netflix. I have a hard time with new shows and books because I feel like I have such weird standards for what is good (especially books!!). I tend to watch and read the same things repeatedly because, not only do I find new meaning or entertainment each time, they are like old friends.

Today I baked. I am determined to be a baker! The recipe I used neglected to mention it was a wet dough so that got interesting when I went to knead. It also said it would take 8-10 minutes to knead it to the right texture. Lies!! Haha.
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Although I didn't see this until the end of my day... here's mine for today:

Body - core workout followed by stretching, fit a walk into my day as well. Day 3 of crest white strips, and washing my face as soon as I get home from work, and really taking the time to take care of myself.
    Mind - I let go of some things that I could have let destroy my day. Considered not going to work, happy I did.
    Spirit - Allowed myself time to think about a person who has recently been very kind to me and appreciate that.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @skram01, what are some books/genres you enjoy? (If anyone would like to join me on GoodReads, I'm simply "SaraKim" on there; please feel free to send me a GoodReads friend request. My reading is sometimes sporadic, but I love to discuss books.)

@maggierenee88, I love your self-care for yesterday!

Yesterday's self-care was a lot of "home" work: cleared out my car, laundry, dishes, going through accumulated paper (there is a lot more, but I'm happy with what I achieved), and TWO trips to the recycling center.

On a fun note, I wrote an "old-fashioned" letter to a friend who moved to Washington state. I hope to do this more often; I enjoyed it.

Have a wonderful day, everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to those of us in the U.S. 😃
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    @SaraKim17 I love your idea of writing a letter. I sent a bunch of Thanksgiving cards to my friends recently. And I really enjoyed writing them, addressing the envelopes, and putting that beautiful stamp on each card. I got several text messages from those who received the cards thanking me.

Body: Ab workout, had no carbs at an Italian restaurant (skipped bread and pasta)
    Mind: Read Oprah magazine, enjoying turning the pages and even looking at the beautiful ads.
    Soul: Listened to some meditation audios. One of my favorites is a woman reciting the poem “She Let Gol”
    https://youtu.be/0jtwQc34sUo

Close your eyes for two minutes and listen to this poem. Xo
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @SaraKim17 I love your idea of writing a letter. I sent a bunch of Thanksgiving cards to my friends recently. And I really enjoyed writing them, addressing the envelopes, and putting that beautiful stamp on each card. I got several text messages from those who received the cards thanking me.

Body: Ab workout, had no carbs at an Italian restaurant (skipped bread and pasta)
    Mind: Read Oprah magazine, enjoying turning the pages and even looking at the beautiful ads.
    Soul: Listened to some meditation audios. One of my favorites is a woman reciting the poem “She Let Gol”

@RubyRed427, I love that meditation! Thank you. I think I need to listen to it daily. Also, great self-care yesterday. :)

I started writing out Christmas and holiday cards. I'm really enjoying it.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    ...One of my favorites is a woman reciting the poem “She Let Gol”

So simple, yet profound...Just do it! Let go. :D
    I need to remember this whenever I'm struggling - whether it's getting started on a project (I overthink and overwhelm myself sometimes) or stressing over something I can't change. Let all that crap go and move on with it. Awesome!
  • thisPGHlife
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    @skram01, what are some books/genres you enjoy? (If anyone would like to join me on GoodReads, I'm simply "SaraKim" on there; please feel free to send me a GoodReads friend request. My reading is sometimes sporadic, but I love to discuss books.)

@maggierenee88, I love your self-care for yesterday!

Yesterday's self-care was a lot of "home" work: cleared out my car, laundry, dishes, going through accumulated paper (there is a lot more, but I'm happy with what I achieved), and TWO trips to the recycling center.

On a fun note, I wrote an "old-fashioned" letter to a friend who moved to Washington state. I hope to do this more often; I enjoyed it.

Have a wonderful day, everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to those of us in the U.S. 😃

I downloaded the app yesterday so I will add you!! It will probably look somewhat sparse for a while until I can add books I've read in earnest. I usually end up going more for fantasy and sci fi. I would love to discuss books!!

Yesterday I managed to make it through Thanksgiving workout tomorrow much stress. I logged most of what I ate and I'm ok with the knowledge that I was over maintenance yesterday and probably over for the week. In the grand scheme I couldn't have been that much over and 1-2 pounds won't be that bad if I do gain them. Weighed in this morning and somehow was down 2/10 of a pound from yesterday. Must have been magic because carbs weren't safe from me yesterday and I had some wine.

I also took a couple days off of bullet journal, which I don't feel great about, but I'm getting pumped for a new month and new opportunities to figure out what works best for me.

Today, as much as I don't want to brave the stores, I'm going to get myself some desperately needed new jeans. We are also picking up the Christmas tree!! Tonight I'm hoping we can make it to one of the area light up nights. I just love the Christmas season.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    Hey, I did it! I let go. B)

And it was not the end of the world. Everything turned out just fine.

My goal was to deep clean my fridge and freezer today. Instead of stressing about "strategy" and whether I was doing it right or being thorough enough, (or any of the other endless "what-if's" that tend to pop into my mind to distract me and make things take forever...aka, procrastination), I just let go. I said to myself, "good enough is good enough" (it doesn't have to be perfect) and I simply got it done.

And because there was no pressure, I was OK with however it turned out, so I was just totally mindful in the task. It was actually relaxing. And when I was done, it looked just as good as it would have if I had made a big deal out of it and stressed myself out. But I didn't. And it was easy.

So I'm gonna try letting go with more things and see what happens! :D
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am very late to be starting for November, but I am joining because I NEED to start taking care of me, and hopefully this challenge will continue into the coming months. Thank you for this board.

This morning I got up and typed in a journal to sort out some of my feelings, which I am counting as self-care for my mind.
    I sat quietly in the sunshine (coming in the window) while doing the writing, so that was self-care for my spirit. (I very rarely get any quiet time in my family.)
    I ate a nutritious, purposefully chosen breakfast (and logged it for the first time in almost 2 years) and then took my dog and my puppy for a walk right after breakfast before the rest of the family got up. (body)

These may not seem like much to anyone else, but given the state my life has been in and because I have done none of these things in so long, for me is amazing.

Yay for me! Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I want it to be so much different than it has been for the last 18 months.
  • thisPGHlife
    Options
    Yesterday my husband and I went to the movies again. I really enjoy going with him but this year has been somewhat sparse for movies we want to see in the theater. From now through next year is shaping up to be better!

Today we are braving the crowds and going to the zoo. It's free right now so we can feel good about not spending money but we get to be a little more active. He is putting the lights on the tree this morning. I can't wait to get home and decorate the tree while listening to Christmas music. Friday we watched the new Christmas special on Netflix with Kurt Russell. It was campy the way you expect Christmas movies to be but it was good. I'm debating on whether to make him "suffer" and watch all the campy Christmas movies or just stick to the classics.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Hey, I did it! I let go. B)

And it was not the end of the world. Everything turned out just fine.

My goal was to deep clean my fridge and freezer today. Instead of stressing about "strategy" and whether I was doing it right or being thorough enough, (or any of the other endless "what-if's" that tend to pop into my mind to distract me and make things take forever...aka, procrastination), I just let go. I said to myself, "good enough is good enough" (it doesn't have to be perfect) and I simply got it done.

And because there was no pressure, I was OK with however it turned out, so I was just totally mindful in the task. It was actually relaxing. And when I was done, it looked just as good as it would have if I had made a big deal out of it and stressed myself out. But I didn't. And it was easy.

So I'm gonna try letting go with more things and see what happens! :D

Awesome! WHat a good feeling! Xo
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Monday:.

Body:. Stayed in bed as long as possible since I have been chronically tired.
    Mind:. Talked with my daughter's therapist for a few minutes about myself.
    Spirit:. Decided to stay present and not play any computer games.

Will have to try harder tomorrow for the mind area.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    Made art! Just did it. Loose & free. It’s a start!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Mind: Got my desk organized at school. Sorted papers, threw away things not needed, and started planning for an upcoming trip away from school. So, the lesson plans and activities have to be planned in advance. Decided to stay at work as late as needed later, so I can walk away tomorrow night from school to go on vacation with a peaceful mind.
    Body: Yoga in the morning
    Soul: Changing my mindset when I have negative self talk OR when my mind starts racing with needless worry. This moment is all we have.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options

Saw a friend! Asked her advice on some home refurbishment/remodeling. She was thrilled I asked & agreed to mentor me!!

Made art last night :) SO FUN!

Working to create more fun in my life!!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @RubyRed427, I was going out to dinner tonight with a bunch of current and former work friends. I had actually arranged the get together but was feeling reluctant to go for a number of reasons. I listened to the "Let Go" video you posted, and it helped me to get out of the house. I ended up having a wonderful evening with my friends. Thank you. <3

In your previous post, you talked about changing your mind set when...

Any tips on how you do this specifically? I try telling myself "STOP" or distracting myself, but it's often easier said than done.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @SaraKim17 Well, I think to change your mindset, we have to form new pathways in our thinking. I’ve posted little notes on my mirror. I listen to insight timer meditations.... One is called “There is nothing wrong with you.” By Robin Rice. I listen to it often to reassure myself that “there is nothing wrong with me.” And even while I was typing on the thread, I had it in my earbuds. I like your idea of “stop”. Tonight, my daughter said a few times something negative about her appearance and I said “you need to stop saying things like that about yourself. Only talk to yourself with loving words.”

I’m so happy you liked “let go.” I really love it too. I found that poem on “insight timer” app as well. IT’s a free app on my Apple iPhone. I’m delighted you had a great evening! xo
  • jenilla1
    Options
    I've got some kind of sickness, so I took a nap today and I'll be having a nice, warm bath later tonight!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @RubyRed427, thank you for the ideas. I'm going to see if there's an android version of the insight timer app, and I have plenty of Post-It notes! You said just the right words to your daughter; I hope she takes them to heart.

@jenilla1, hope you feel better!