Is Coke Zero too good to be true?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If it makes OP feel better, Coke Zero is the "manly" version of Diet Coke.
  • mjolnir81
    mjolnir81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The only negative I can see is that because it is very sweet....it could cause some people to crave more sweet things which makes it difficult to stay within your calorie goal. However if you don't have any adverse reactions to the sweetener (headaches, cravings) then go for it. I don't drink it regularly but if I am out for a meal and not having alcohol I'd usually have a diet fizzy drink.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the coke marketing strategies.

In my subjective opinion, Pepsi max and coke zero both taste better than diet coke which to me has a bit of a chemically taste.

i dont like the taste of diet sodas other than the cola ones as I think they all taste way too chemically. I guess the cola flavour is strong enough to overcome this whereas lemonade, orange etc isnt.

But from an 'are they ok' question - yes, fine.

just up to you if you like the taste of them or not.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Coke Zero, especially if a bit of sweet taste helps nip cravings in the bud or if you'll drink that instead of full-cal beverages.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda, but colas aren't my thing. I only drink them when out and there's nothing else available. At home, we're diet ginger ale fiends. I especially like the diet cranberry ginger ale.

It's often just the thing when you feel like you want a little something something but you're not sure what.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking diet pop since I was a teenager (67 now), and I’m still here and that’s a long time.
    Just saying, I could take the blind taste test and would pick Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke every time. I’ll drink either, but prefer Diet Pepsi.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Cherry coke zero is nectar of the gods.

I keep a mini fridge filled with it. I drink it every day. I've lost over 200lbs. It saved me a crap ton of calories compared to regular coke and tastes the same to me.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    I love diet cherry PEPSI. I have to admit that at this point it causes me to crave it more and more and also more food.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes...............................Diet Pepsi is better. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, but Pepsi Max is the best. Diet Coke is just too watered down.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    There are lots of zero calorie drinks. I like diet dr pepper. I have one every day and it has no affect on my weight

And it mixes really well with Fireball & a splash of grenadine.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It claims to have 0 calories and looks like a great substitute for sugary snacks. Are there any non-widely known negatives of it?

It looks like it has aspartame in it. There is some controversy about the side effects caused by this ingredient. It causes me to get really bad headaches....plus I can't stand the horrible aftertaste. I just stick with water....or vitamin water sweetened with something that is not aspartame.

For people who enjoy the taste and don't get headaches from it, there's no good evidence it should be avoided. Presumably OP likes the taste and hasn't noticed any headaches and that is why he is interested in drinking it.

Avoiding something just because there is "controversy," in the absence of good evidence, will result in cutting thousands of enjoyable, productive, and non-harmful experiences from life.

Well, he asked about the negatives. One of the negatives is that aspartame has been associated with multiple health concerns. I have experienced one of those health issues. Didn't realize aspartame was such a hot button topic around here. I'm still new here so I will avoid this topic in the future.

It's been extensively discussed in the past, and addressed by a person with professional education/knowledge in the field: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

So sorry. I am new and didn't realize that. Believe me, I will never bring it up again.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It claims to have 0 calories and looks like a great substitute for sugary snacks. Are there any non-widely known negatives of it?

It looks like it has aspartame in it. There is some controversy about the side effects caused by this ingredient. It causes me to get really bad headaches....plus I can't stand the horrible aftertaste. I just stick with water....or vitamin water sweetened with something that is not aspartame.

For people who enjoy the taste and don't get headaches from it, there's no good evidence it should be avoided. Presumably OP likes the taste and hasn't noticed any headaches and that is why he is interested in drinking it.

Avoiding something just because there is "controversy," in the absence of good evidence, will result in cutting thousands of enjoyable, productive, and non-harmful experiences from life.

Well, he asked about the negatives. One of the negatives is that aspartame has been associated with multiple health concerns. I have experienced one of those health issues. Didn't realize aspartame was such a hot button topic around here. I'm still new here so I will avoid this topic in the future.

It's been extensively discussed in the past, and addressed by a person with professional education/knowledge in the field: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

So sorry. I am new and didn't realize that. Believe me, I will never bring it up again.

Please do have a read through of the link provided! It’s very informative!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Wait until you try Coke No Sugar, it tastes exactly like full sugar Coke but still no calories.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    haven't found that myself Trish.

I dont think any of them , including No Sugar, taste like 'real coke' - that's fine, I'm quite happy with how the diet ones taste.
    But as for tasting exactly the same - No, to me they dont.