What Type Of Running shoes Do You Like?

Options

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Most shoes seem to have a depression in the heel area of the sole, which i can actually feel. Not sure why they put craters in the heel or arch, since that puts less support there, creating a sag. Anyway, i choose a simple, flat sole with no fancy holes.. sort of like Nike Free.
    Flexible sole.. neutral support.. medium cushion.
    Currently need a higher heel-toe drop due to Achilles pain uphill, but will transition to low drop.
    :+1:
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,811 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I don't mean brand or model, but the type of shoes.

max/moderate/low/minimal cushioning
    neutral/stability/motion control
    flexible/stiff
    heel toe drop

I have 32 pairs of running shoes. I used to prefer the more cushioned ones, but lately i have been leaning more toward the less cushioned ...
    Curious what other people like or don't like.

Perhaps you need to change your name to Imelda Marcos 🙃. 32 pairs seems a lot. Personally I like to rotate between 2 or 3 pairs. What’s fun to do is go to someplace like Academy with your fave pair. You know pretty much what style you like now. Just start grabbing various brands in your size and type from the shelf and comparing feel to your own. I discovered Mizunos that way. I also don’t look at the price tags just go by feel. Sometimes I find nothing better. Brands and styles are ever changing now. Nothing like when I was a kid and you would find these model year after year. Quality of materials is also a lot cheaper so shoes tend to need rotation sooner.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

flexible/stiff
    heel toe drop

I have 32 pairs of running shoes. I used to prefer the more cushioned ones, but lately i have been leaning more toward the less cushioned, neutral, flexible shoes. Heel toe drop can be from 0 to no more than 10 mm. I guess my joints are developing and/or my form is improving, but i can run a few miles on concrete in minimalist shoes now.

When i wear my high cushioned shoes i feel like i am working harder than normal and fighting the cushioning, rather than letting my body absorb the impact naturally.

I run barefoot. I guess I’m weird, but to me it just feels natural and it’s a lot of fun. When conditions aren’t ideal, I wear Xero huaraches which are sandals with 4mm zero drop flexible soles tied to the foot with a single diy lace. I run about 600 miles per year this way and have done so for the last 5 years. If you like minimalist shoes, you might like to check out Xero shoes, they have a lot of zero drop, flexible, no cushion shoes.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

flexible/stiff
    heel toe drop

I have 32 pairs of running shoes. I used to prefer the more cushioned ones, but lately i have been leaning more toward the less cushioned, neutral, flexible shoes. Heel toe drop can be from 0 to no more than 10 mm. I guess my joints are developing and/or my form is improving, but i can run a few miles on concrete in minimalist shoes now.

When i wear my high cushioned shoes i feel like i am working harder than normal and fighting the cushioning, rather than letting my body absorb the impact naturally.

I run barefoot. I guess I’m weird, but to me it just feels natural and it’s a lot of fun. When conditions aren’t ideal, I wear Xero huaraches which are sandals with 4mm zero drop flexible soles tied to the foot with a single diy lace. I run about 600 miles per year this way and have done so for the last 5 years. If you like minimalist shoes, you might like to check out Xero shoes, they have a lot of zero drop, flexible, no cushion shoes.

I have the following minimalist shoes...

xero prio
    vivobarefoot stealth II
    lems primal 2
    Merrell trail glove 3
    new balance minimus

I did a 3.5 mile run on asphalt last week in the trail glove 3's and felt pretty good. It keeps my form in check.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I miss running!

When I first started I wore a very cushioned shoe because I have a lot of pain in my feet, but over time found the most comfortable shoes for me ended up being minimalist shoes. My favorite pair were Merrell Vapor Gloves.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wear Saucony Kineta Relay. They have a 4mm drop. I guess they are more of a neutral shoe.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm a significant over-pronator, but prefer neutral, flexible shoes as that allows me to focus on the run.

For roads I wear Inov-8 Road Claw 275, with a 6mm drop, reasonably positive sole and moderate cushion. They're fine up to marathon distance, although I'm not keen on that distance on roads.

For muddy trails, Inov-8 MudClaw 300, with a 4mm drop, 8mm lugs and no cushioning. I've worn them up to marathon distance.

For moderate trails I've got Inov-8 Race Ultra 270 and Trail Talon 270. The Race Ultra is a 4mm drop, minimal cushioning but with light lugs, so reasonable for hybrid use. I've done 40 miles in those. The Trail Talon has a 6mm drop and the lugs are about the same depth but more open, again minimal cushioning. I've only done up to 50Ks in those.

I much prefer being able to feel the surface and respond to it, hence a more raw design preference.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm a significant over-pronator, but prefer neutral, flexible shoes as that allows me to focus on the run.

For roads I wear Inov-8 Road Claw 275, with a 6mm drop, reasonably positive sole and moderate cushion. They're fine up to marathon distance, although I'm not keen on that distance on roads.

For muddy trails, Inov-8 MudClaw 300, with a 4mm drop, 8mm lugs and no cushioning. I've worn them up to marathon distance.

For moderate trails I've got Inov-8 Race Ultra 270 and Trail Talon 270. The Race Ultra is a 4mm drop, minimal cushioning but with light lugs, so reasonable for hybrid use. I've done 40 miles in those. The Trail Talon has a 6mm drop and the lugs are about the same depth but more open, again minimal cushioning. I've only done up to 50Ks in those.

I much prefer being able to feel the surface and respond to it, hence a more raw design preference.

I've got the same shoe... Great for soft or sloppy conditions.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

flexible/stiff
    heel toe drop

I have the following minimalist shoes...

xero prio
    vivobarefoot stealth II
    lems primal 2
    Merrell trail glove 3
    new balance minimus

I did a 3.5 mile run on asphalt last week in the trail glove 3's and felt pretty good. It keeps my form in check.

I have the Prios but I wear them for work, not running, they are comfy. I also still own a couple pairs of the now discontinued New Balance Minimus Hi-Rez, those are the most minimalist shoes I have ever worn! I don’t run in them because they would probably disintegrate (really, they are that minimal) but they are fabulous walking shoes!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have two Merrell pairs and I wish I knew what model they are because I really love them. Maybe trail gloves? I have really bad arthritis in one knee so I stick to the treadmill now and switched over to a front foot strike and minimalist type shoes a few years ago. I don't know if it helps but that's what I hear.
  • gdionelli
    gdionelli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just made a radical change because of injury. Before a non-running ankle injury I wore neutral shoes with a 4 mm heel-toe drop. Some cushioning, not too much. After ankle surgery recovery I began running again with my Newton Fates and immediately developed a toe injury - sesamoiditis. I've been struggling for a year to find a solution (I've gone through four sets of custom orthotics) and finally tried the Hoka Gaviota to get a rocker soled shoe. It's also highly cushioned and structured. I had to get a wide size (Hokas have never fit my feet before). They feel incredibly big and sort of clunky...but I can run again.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

Thanks for this.

I always wanted to try a pair of Inov-8's.

Just went on their website and noticed they had the Road Claw 275 V2 on sale for $36.00 for black friday (originally $120.00), so i just ordered a pair.

Coooooooool!!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Neutral and cushy. I have PF. Hoka One.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually wear Mizuno wave inspires. I want to try Brooks.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread. I hope those who are just getting into running notice the theme here. There's not one shoe that is better than any other. Nearly everyone who replied has a different favorite. The thing that is common is the type of shoe is based on how each of us runs, not what is popular or what someone else suggests.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    This is an awesome thread. I hope those who are just getting into running notice the theme here. There's not one shoe that is better than any other. Nearly everyone who replied has a different favorite. The thing that is common is the type of shoe is based on how each of us runs, not what is popular or what someone else suggests.

Good point.

Also if you have as many pairs of shoes as i do it becomes a mood thing.

Some days i think... hmmm... i'm in the mood to run in my Brooks Levitate's today... or maybe my On Cloudflow's

:)
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Minimalist all the way. I can't imagine ever going back to thick padded, heel-rise "regular" running shoes.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that shoe preference is extremely individual.
    I have broad feet and so I need a shoe that comes in different widths. There aren't many. Not athletic/running shoes anyway. New Balance does; but I find all their shoes too squishy. I like a shoe that is neutral and firm. What I have found is that I can wear Nike Pegasus. It's the only Nike that comes in different widths -- I am pretty sure.
    I wear the 4E. They seem pretty firm to me and they last a good number of miles.
    (Either that, or I am such a cheap skate I just keep running in them when all the support is gone but I just don't notice it because the degradation occurs gradually.)
    I like the idea of a zero drop shoe. I wore Nike Frees back in the day when many experts warned against them. The design ideas behind the Frees appeal to me -- more foot engagement, less heel to forefoot drop.
    I'd like to be a barefoot runner, if I could.
    But, I had plantar fasciitis for a decade, almost, and I have had a Morton's neuroma -- this is what you have to look forward to, kids, when you get older, and the miles pile up -- and I need a bit more support than the Frees provide now.
    I tried a couple of pairs of Hokas, because they were zero drop and they are broad in the toe box. They were okay ... But ... They were WAY too squishy for me. I would run in them three or four times, and I would have sore knees afterwards. I never get sore knees. That ended the experiment.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I have broad feet and so I need a shoe that comes in different widths. There aren't many. Not athletic/running shoes anyway. New Balance does; but I find all their shoes too squishy. I like a shoe that is neutral and firm. What I have found is that I can wear Nike Pegasus. It's the only Nike that comes in different widths -- I am pretty sure.
    I wear the 4E. They seem pretty firm to me and they last a good number of miles.
    (Either that, or I am such a cheap skate I just keep running in them when all the support is gone but I just don't notice it because the degradation occurs gradually.)
    I like the idea of a zero drop shoe. I wore Nike Frees back in the day when many experts warned against them. The design ideas behind the Frees appeal to me -- more foot engagement, less heel to forefoot drop.
    But, I had plantar fasciitis for a decade, almost, and I have had a Morton's neuroma -- this is what you have to look forward to, kids, when you get older, and the miles pile up -- and I need a bit more support than the Frees provide now.
    I tried a couple of pairs of Hokas, because they were zero drop and they are broad in the toe box. They were okay ... But ... They were WAY too squishy for me. I would run in them three or four times, and I would have sore knees afterwards. I never get sore knees. That ended the experiment.

Have you tried Altra yet? Wide width, various degrees of cushioning, zero (or minimal) drop.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »

Have you tried Altra yet? Wide width, various degrees of cushioning, zero (or minimal) drop.

Topo is another... not as wide as Altras, but wider than traditional European fitting shoes.