‘‘Tis the season for rude comments

Options
2»

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    But you can't change another person. You can only change how you respond, and you can try asking them to change themselves. Sometimes that will change the dynamics of the relationship. Sometimes it won't. You can live with it as it is, you can do what you can to change your responses, or you can limit or eliminate contact. Those are your choices.

I guess what I was trying to do was take another, healthier approach. Instead of dying a little inside but saying nothing to her about it, and then having the feeling come out later in a snide comment in an unrelated situation, I chose to tell her that I know I’m fat but that her comments hurt me and I’m doing the best I can. Through therapy I have learned that my family of origin is TERRIBLE at communication. I decided I want better for my kids.

I think expressing how it made you feel is a good thing. The problem is that you want her to respond to what you say in a specific way, and that's just not a realistic expectation.

I didn’t say that. 🤷‍♀️ I was simply venting about the initial text this morning and how it hurt me. I know that I can’t control how she responds. And I never blamed my weight on her leukemia either. I was fat long before she was diagnosed.

Maybe I'm not expressing myself well. When you texted that her original expression of concern about your weight was hurtful, and she apologized, and then got angry when you didn't respond, that wasn't the response you were hoping for, right?

No, that’s not what happened. She responded to me while I was cleaning. I didn’t see it right away so I didn’t respond right away. And when I did see the apology, she had already followed up with the stuff about her being a terrible mother before I had a chance to see or respond to the apology.
    And if you were fat long before she was diagnosed, how was the statement in your OP about using food and alcohol to cope with your stress over her illness even relevant? What were you trying to tell us with that statement? Again, you probably didn't mean it this way, and again, another good example of things we say (like "you've gained weight and I'm concerned") can be misinterpreted, but to me it sounds like, "OK, I'm taking in too many food and alcohol calories but I'm only doing it because I'm worried about her, so how dare she mention it to me!"

Because it’s been a pattern with me. I have some unhealthy coping mechanisms I’m working to change. I didn’t say anything about that to her either, just added it here for context. I’ve actually gained only about 5 lbs since she got sick, but more like 20 over the last year.

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    who would do that to someone? sounds abusive to me. My parents would say things like that to me and I think they are the main reason I gained weight! What I mean is I emotionally eat and geez people should watch what and when and how they say stuff.
  • witchaywoman81
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Don't know if this will help, but...

I have a difficult relationship with my father. Among other things, he was a nasty drunk when I was growing up and would be critical of my mother about her weight (which she was always struggling with, but never hugely overweight). When I was a teen (and not fat at all) he would tell me I was fat when in a fight (I was into confronting him for a while and would pretend not to be bothered, but this was something I very much internalized even though I pretended I did not care, since it was important to me that he not know he hurt me). There's more and worse, but this is the relevant bit.

Anyway, he stopped drinking when I was in my mid 20s, and gradually became a better person, although he continued to be pretty insecure and to lash out if he perceived someone else attacking him. For some reason his feelings are extra-easily hurt by me, and vice versa (I care too much about what he thinks even though I'd say I reject a lot of his views and values).

When I was fat later in life (and I was very fat), I believed that he was embarrassed by that (when I'd lost weight and been in really good shape before he made comments that made me think me being in shape was really important to him, for superficial reasons). Around this time my mom started having health problems (related to a genetic health condition), which followed on a period of time when she'd been reasonably inactive due to an injury and gotten out of shape again (probably on the edge of obese, but not more so).

I visited my parents (largely because of my mom's health worsening) for the first time after I'd gotten pretty heavy and he started hinting about wanting to talk to me about "my health" (which I was having no problems with) and said more direct things to my sister about me (she said to leave it). Ultimately, when I was planning to go out there the next time I had a ridiculous amount of stress and didn't want to go (although obviously I had to, because of my mom), because I knew he was going to look down on me and see me as a failure because I was fat, and also because I didn't think I could take the conversation with him telling me I was fat (as if I didn't know).

I was freaking out to such an extent that I considered writing him a long email explaining that I knew I was fat and was working on it, but found it unhelpful to have him telling me what a failure he saw it, and then ended up just calling him and saying "look, I'm really out of shape, I know it's not great, I know you find it embarrassing, but I'm working on it and you talking to me about it will be counterproductive." He said basically thanks for trusting me with that, I am not embarrassed, I am just worried because I think your mom's weight affected her health/quality of life (which is also frustrating because according to the doctor no, and I think he was blaming her, but anyway).

Clearing the air helped a lot, I knew I was fat, and didn't expect people not to notice, and I kind of believed he was concerned or thought he was, and was not just trying to put me down/use it as leverage. Family experience being what it was, I wasn't totally sure, but we were able to get along, and I was able to not have that added stress on everything else surrounding the situation with my mom (who died one year ago).

So it's possible your mom really is just concerned, and in any case don't get drawn into the drama and try to focus on the important things. You told her how you felt, you can tell her you didn't immediately see the texts and appreciate the response, and the subject should be over. Family patterns are really hard, but a lot of it is not worth it, especially if she's sick.

What rheddmobile said about not expecting people to change is pretty much right on. If they do, great, but I think you can't expect it.

Thank you for this. ❤️
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Perhaps also consider that there are likely things you do or say that your mother finds hurtful but you don’t realize and/or don’t intend. Not to say that any of your mother’s actions or statements here are your responsibility or that you deserved it in any way, just that sometimes some perspective can help—she made a mistake or else gifted you the opportunity to be a better person by treating it as a mistake, even if it wasn’t.
  • witchaywoman81
    Options
    Perhaps also consider that there are likely things you do or say that your mother finds hurtful but you don’t realize and/or don’t intend. Not to say that any of your mother’s actions or statements here are your responsibility or that you deserved it in any way, just that sometimes some perspective can help—she made a mistake or else gifted you the opportunity to be a better person by treating it as a mistake, even if it wasn’t.

I think you’re absolutely right, thanks! I do think it came from a place of genuine concern, but it was a blow after not holding back at all yesterday and feeling sluggish from the food on top of being overweight.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

And, a little bit tangential here, but when some major bad thing happens to someone, comfort and support is supposed to flow inward toward those most immediately affected. Family and friends support the person who is actually suffering the bad thing, such as major illness; they don't ask that person to support them.

There is no manual for any of this stuff. Cancer sucks. And it sucks when your “person” is in the vulnerable position when you’re used to them being there for you. But I am trying REALLY *kitten* hard not to burden her, which is why I’m such a hot mess (again, I am in NO WAY saying this is her fault). I drove to the hospital to sit with her all day multiple times a week. I told her over and over again that it’s ok for her to feel whatever she’s feeling. I bit my tongue when she made fun of my scarf and said my boots looked sloppy. I got her whatever she needed, regardless of how ridiculous the request. I came here to vent. I didn’t tell her she was wrong, but I DID tell her that my weight is not a topic of discussion.

Parents being ill is hard. I thought my mom and I were going to straight up murder each other when we were splitting duties caretaking for my dad after his stroke. He wasn't a problem - he barely knew who we were half the time - but she was stressed and unreasonable, and it seems like the harder I tried to be sweet and understanding the more she threw at me - sometimes literally, she threw a roll of medical tape at me when she said we were out and I showed her we still had some. But we got through it. You will get through this too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

And, a little bit tangential here, but when some major bad thing happens to someone, comfort and support is supposed to flow inward toward those most immediately affected. Family and friends support the person who is actually suffering the bad thing, such as major illness; they don't ask that person to support them.

There is no manual for any of this stuff. Cancer sucks. And it sucks when your “person” is in the vulnerable position when you’re used to them being there for you. But I am trying REALLY *kitten* hard not to burden her, which is why I’m such a hot mess (again, I am in NO WAY saying this is her fault). I drove to the hospital to sit with her all day multiple times a week. I told her over and over again that it’s ok for her to feel whatever she’s feeling. I bit my tongue when she made fun of my scarf and said my boots looked sloppy. I got her whatever she needed, regardless of how ridiculous the request. I came here to vent. I didn’t tell her she was wrong, but I DID tell her that my weight is not a topic of discussion.

It's really hard, yeah. I get needing to vent. I was lucky that my sister and I had each other to vent to (although we didn't always agree on everything we were pretty supportive of each other and understood).
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    " I know I’m fat. I’d have to be an idiot not to know that."
    From time to time I've seen people ask how they can tell a relative that they are concerned about their weight and every time I tell them "just don't. They already know and your telling them will only add to their feeling bad. " Sorry you are having to deal with a mother who doesn't get that.