Back to strict logging or nah?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've been able to maintain near enough 75kg for the last couple of months without logging, but now I want to get down to 72 for a cycle event at the end of January. I wonder if I need to start back in with the full on calorie counting or if I'll get there just by pumping up the burn? The training program I'm starting will pump it up a bit anyway.

You could also slightly reduce what you are eating. If you want to take the guess work out of it, then log. If you are okay with winging it, then try that. Personally, I find comfort in knowing what to expect, so logging would be my choice. You could also log for a couple days to a week or two to get into the rhythm of it.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Humans are not constructed to run on paved surfaces and maybe nowhere. A casual runner (noncompetitive) suffers on average 2 injuries per year requiring medical attention or lost work. That is about an 5 injuries per 1000 hours. The range is 2.5 to 12.5 in the literature. There are sheet metal shops that have 200,000 injury free hours. Meaning that running is about 1000 times more dangerous than working in a sheet metal shop. If it saves your life from cardiac surgery recovery, good for you. To lose weight, its a stupid move.

"The literature" - please provide a link.

Abstract found here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1439399
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Humans are not constructed to run on paved surfaces and maybe nowhere. A casual runner (noncompetitive) suffers on average 2 injuries per year requiring medical attention or lost work. That is about an 5 injuries per 1000 hours. The range is 2.5 to 12.5 in the literature. There are sheet metal shops that have 200,000 injury free hours. Meaning that running is about 1000 times more dangerous than working in a sheet metal shop. If it saves your life from cardiac surgery recovery, good for you. To lose weight, its a stupid move.

Interesting; I searched around to refute it and found the stats are pretty consistent; roughly 20% to 70% sustain some kind of injury, with the variance primarily based on what was defined as an injury in the various studies.

You would think I would heartily agree with you from personal experience. I had to stop because of joint problems, but they are genetic and were exacerbated, not an injury. I really miss running because of the convenience and solitude. I am around a lot of runners and my experience seems pretty rare - having to stop. Most are minor annoyances. I have to get my shoulder scoped soon (other one doe a few years ago). Should I stop lifting weights? Stop paddling? Walk as my only exercise and just sit around doing nothing the rest of the time? It's a dangerous thing, going out your door...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I think maybe you should read the abstract. The main issue caused by these injuries, as defined in the abstract, is that they temporarily stop the person from running. Only 5% of them cause the injured person to miss work, and as few as 20% according to one estimate cause the injured person to seek help from a doctor. The majority are resolved by simply RUNNING LESS for a brief period of time.

Not running in order to avoid an injury which might stop you from running seems kind of pointless to me, especially since there are huge additional benefits to running, such as a massive improvement in cardiovascular health.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I think maybe you should read the abstract. The main issue caused by these injuries, as defined in the abstract, is that they temporarily stop the person from running. Only 5% of them cause the injured person to miss work, and as few as 20% according to one estimate cause the injured person to seek help from a doctor. The majority are resolved by simply RUNNING LESS for a brief period of time.

Not running in order to avoid an injury which might stop you from running seems kind of pointless to me, especially since there are huge additional benefits to running, such as a massive improvement in cardiovascular health.

All of my posts above have been subject to the comment I made regarding cardiac health.

But, as a serious cardiac patient (I had a 25% EF in my recent Echo) consulting with the very top cardiologists at the Cleveland Clinic, I have a lot of info. And, I'm not going to trouble you with what I think are the facts since the effects of cardio exercise on a general population is nothing more than informed speculation based on extrapolation from actual clinical tests of patients recovering from cardiac procedures. I will simply point you to the populations of the longest living persons on the planet, most of whom do exactly ZERO cardio exercise. At best, cardio exercise will permit the aging to engage in activities comfortably that might exhaust their not exercising peers.

Our society engages in exercise because our lifestyles don't promote the constant moderate physical activity common to all of the long-lived populations. We have to compensate for that shortfall.

It's cool that you personally are against this, but I'm not quite getting your zeal in promoting your viewpoint as a universal standard.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been able to maintain near enough 75kg for the last couple of months without logging, but now I want to get down to 72 for a cycle event at the end of January. I wonder if I need to start back in with the full on calorie counting or if I'll get there just by pumping up the burn? The training program I'm starting will pump it up a bit anyway.

Depends on you. I haven't tracked anything in years and have no issue dropping weight if/when I want/need to. I usually put on 8-10 Lbs over the winter due in large part to my activity level dropping and it comes back off in the spring when I start putting in more miles on my bike and get back into training for various cycling events. I put on about 5 Lbs in late summer/early fall this year while nursing an injury...I'm taking it off now by just cutting back on some snacking.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Lol this post has gone off the deep end.

OP it's up to you... Depends how committed you are to reaching your goal. If you're just kind of like "meh, I'd like to lose the weight but if I don't it's fine" then you could try doing it without the logging.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Exercise creates a false sense of calorie entitlement. Think of this same process for budgeting money for those who overspend. The "exercise calories" are like supplementing the budget with scratch off lottery cards. It just trains you to think the calorie plan is just flexible. Any level of exercise above normal daily in order to increase food intake is a fools errand.

So if someone wins a lot of money playing scratch off lotto cards they shouldn't add that money to their budget?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Near the beginning of WW1 all British soldiers were issued with steel helmets. The War Office was shocked to discover the number of reported head injuries increase drastically. panicking they began to issue a recall of the helmets. Then they realized that the number of DEATHS had decreased by the same amount. Those soldiers had survived with head injuries rather than dying.

Statistics are all about context and interpretation.

Context and interpretation? You expect us to think about the data and question what it means?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmHlpaGdSqx8S7Qm7Yb4fg20cvQ4aqcLNjZmaX57i--1wXIQig1g
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't think even Ric Flair could keep up with all of the 'woo's in this thread
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Near the beginning of WW1 all British soldiers were issued with steel helmets. The War Office was shocked to discover the number of reported head injuries increase drastically. panicking they began to issue a recall of the helmets. Then they realized that the number of DEATHS had decreased by the same amount. Those soldiers had survived with head injuries rather than dying.

Statistics are all about context and interpretation.

Context and interpretation? You expect us to think about the data and question what it means?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmHlpaGdSqx8S7Qm7Yb4fg20cvQ4aqcLNjZmaX57i--1wXIQig1g

Good God no, what do you think this is...?!