What can you live without in a relationship?

Options
MistressSara
MistressSara Posts: 2,341 Member
edited November 2018 in Chit-Chat
Trust, kindness, respect, dependability, sexual compatibility- clearly a relationship should have all these things.

And while a relationship can survive while missing one or more of these pieces, can it do so happily?

What if your relationship had all but one of these characteristics? What could you live without? Is wanting it all greedy? Or is settling for less...settling?

In short, can anything replace the zsa zsa zsu?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    All those basics have to be there. I dont need a guy who makes a lot of money. I don't have to see my guy more than twice a week. I'm very independent.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I've been thinking this one over and its a tricky one. The thing that immediately came to mind was shared interests and quality time.

My job used to be high stress and lots of customer interaction all I wanted was "me" time. Now I crave a lot more social interaction and with mismatched schedules and juggling child care, household duties, fitness, etc. I find myself alone much more and craving connection.

I think we tend to overvvalue the things we have found to be lacking in our previous relationships and take for granted those that have not.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    A good heart and trust is all that I need in a relationship everything else takes a back seat for me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think the first list you outlined are all essential to me "Trust, kindness, respect, dependability, sexual compatibility".

What I can live without is common hobbies/small interests, I actually prefer it that way. I am a person who really appreciates my personal time. My husband has no interest in horses or running a half marathon, so those are things I can do on my own and enjoy by myself. I think there are "big ticket" items you have to agree on - kids, where you want to live, family lifestyle. But having some separate interests can be beneficial as well.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I think there are "big ticket" items you have to agree on - kids, where you want to live, family lifestyle. But having some separate interests can be beneficial as well.

Agreed 100%

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    I’ve been in a loving, fulfilling relationship without sex. I dated a man who was paralyzed from the waist down and we had more fun than most of the able bodied men I’ve known.

I found this interesting, mostly because I recently listened to Esther Perels book Mating in Captivity. I have to ask, was it really sexless? I realize certain functions were not possible, but *without going into too much detail* I imagine some things were still possible. Alot of what I gathered from her book was sex is alot less about the physical act itself and more about our need to be wanted/desired by someone. Was there really no sexual side to this relationship?
  • theoneothr2
    theoneothr2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It depends on your intent of the relationship. Not everyone gets in a relationship to get married. But if your intent of the relationship is to get married, then no, you should not settle for anything less than you need/want. And you should be greedy a.f. with what you want/need, after all, your intent is to be with that person for the rest of your life. Imo, settling is one of the reasons why there is many failed marriages these days. People are to impatient to wait for the one that truly makes them happy, so they settle for who only meets some of what they need/want, and that only lasts for so long. Have patience and never settle
  • MarianMarMoi
    MarianMarMoi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Now, I don't think I will ever be in a relationship again, but the sex stuff would be an easy "sacrifice".
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I don’t need to see him everyday, but We do need to communicate everyday

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    It depends on your intent of the relationship. Not everyone gets in a relationship to get married. But if your intent of the relationship is to get married, then no, you should not settle for anything less than you need/want. And you should be greedy a.f. with what you want/need, after all, your intent is to be with that person for the rest of your life. Imo, settling is one of the reasons why there is many failed marriages these days. People are to impatient to wait for the one that truly makes them happy, so they settle for who only meets some of what they need/want, and that only lasts for so long. Have patience and never settle

Are they too impatient, or do they have unrealistic expectations. Are we expecting too much from one person, creating shoes no one could possibly fill, then getting mad at someone who can't?

I disagree with the concept of a perfect match. Shoot, I sit here and change my mind every few minutes about what a perfect person is like, probably swings right along with my moods. Finding a long term partner is finding someone who has weaknesses you can deal with, not someone with no weaknesses.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised to see how many people on this thread, men and women, could have a relationship without sex. I feel the same way, but I thought no one else would admit to it.

I would love an affectionate, intimate, sex-free relationship.

Maybe it's become a more popular and acceptable thing now.

Recent polls and studies indicate that people are having less and less sex in affluent, Western societies with electronics and social media being the main reasons why.

So maybe there's hope that those of us not particularly interested in sex could get married and have that type of fulfillment some day.
  • theoneothr2
    theoneothr2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Are they too impatient, or do they have unrealistic expectations. Are we expecting too much from one person, creating shoes no one could possibly fill, then getting mad at someone who can't?

I disagree with the concept of a perfect match. Shoot, I sit here and change my mind every few minutes about what a perfect person is like, probably swings right along with my moods. Finding a long term partner is finding someone who has weaknesses you can deal with, not someone with no weaknesses.

Just because others may think they have unrealistic expectations, doesn't mean they are. It's a subjective thought. Some people have higher standards, and they have that right. Just like you have the choice to not be with that person if you don't want to.

I agree with you that there's no such thing as a perfect person or a perfect match. However I do believe there is people out there that can meet everything you need/want out of a partner that you want to spend the rest of your life with.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see how many people on this thread, men and women, could have a relationship without sex. I feel the same way, but I thought no one else would admit to it.

I would love an affectionate, intimate, sex-free relationship.

Maybe it's become a more popular and acceptable thing now.

Recent polls and studies indicate that people are having less and less sex in affluent, Western societies with electronics and social media being the main reasons why.

So maybe there's hope that those of us not particularly interested in sex could get married and have that type of fulfillment some day.

I wouldn't say I could go without, but I've definitely come to favor quality over quantity.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. I also think a lot of people get divorced because they don't know what they want when they get married, and have no idea what they'll need 5 or 25 years down the road.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    denny_mac wrote: »
    Trust, kindness, respect, dependability, sexual compatibility- clearly a relationship should have all these things.

And while a relationship can survive while missing one or more of these pieces, can it do so happily?

What if your relationship had all but one of these characteristics? What could you live without? Is wanting it all greedy? Or is settling for less...settling?

In short, can anything replace the zsa zsa zsu?

For me, if it was missing any of those things I would not want to remain in the relationship. If I had to list which I felt was lowest on the ranking of the things you listed... I would probably say dependability. I rarely depend on anyone, so for me that is the least important of the list. But if she was seriously non dependable, it would not last.
    Interesting. What are some things I haven’t listed that are important to you?

Compatibility in other areas such as spirituality (does not necessarily mean that we both have to believe the same things, but our beliefs should not be diametrically opposed or even extremely far apart), social compatibility (it would be nice if we both liked to go out or stay in on a similar frequency), and even diet compatibility to an extent. I've had a partner criticize many of my diet choices and it got old really quickly. Eat whatever you want to eat, but let me do the same without criticism please. Especially if I'm healthier than you are.

And just to weigh in on the topic of sexual compatibility, as it's become the recent focus of the comments here. I was in a marriage where we very rarely had sex, and also very rarely had any type of physical intimacy. She was perfectly happy with that, and I was miserable. So in my experience, one's need for that type of intimacy should match his or her partner's need for it. Whatever that means to each person. I need more physical touch than my ex does. We became incompatible. This is not the only reason we split up, by any means. But it was a big factor in our happiness declining.

I think that's the case for most big things. If you have similar needs/expectations for what a relationship will and won't be/give, then it's much more likely to thrive.