Setting up for Keto

Options
I’m trying to set this up for Keto, anyone else? I’m a little overwhelmed.

Replies

• s_ajohnson
    s_ajohnson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m doing the same too, just getting started.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Google a Keto TDEE calculator. It will help you figure out your macros.

Keto is typically 5-10% carbs, 20-35% protein (high end is better during weight loss), and the rest is fat, typically 60-75%.

Many ketoers make their protein grams equal their fat grams, although the calories will differ greatly.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I didn't keep track of everything when I first started out. Just kept it simple and took note of net carbs, keeping it under 20g. If you are unsure of a vegetable or fruit, just look it up. Recipes online will often have a breakdown of the net carbs to make it easier.
    Stocking up on your keto pantry eg - coconut flour, almond flour, xanthum gum; Can be done as you go. See a recipe that has something you don't own, buy it, now you have it for another recipe.
    If you don't have the time or energy for a recipe, you can just do a ratio of 50% veggies, 25% protein, 25% fat. Just imagine it on a plate. For example, half the plate could be roasted broccoli, quarter is a chicken breast. The fats would be from cooking the broccoli in oil and the chicken could be fried in butter. Remember to season for flavour.
    Don't worry about counting calories or tracking the other macros until you are comfortable and in the keto habits, at least 2 weeks in. I was over a month in before tracking calories.
    Last note, remember fat is your friend. Have a bacon and mushroom omelette fried in butter and topped with cheese in the morning if you like.
  • RyRoWest
    RyRoWest Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jerky,
    Pepperoni slices cooked into chips,
    Have veggie platters on the ready always lol, we have made almond flour bread, and cookies. I made battered elk bites last night with just egg, almond flour and spices.
    Use romaine lettuce as a wrap substitute for tacos, burgers, or whatever you can fit in there.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I lost over 90lb with keto.
    Just start with targeting your carb level to sub-50g.
    Track calories and hit that macro for awhile.
    I did that for 3 months, and then I was ready to get more nit-picky.
    I used a keto calc to find the ideal protein range for me (grams) and filled the rest with fat.
    Reddit's r/keto has a FAQ that is excellent.
    Alternately, you can join the Keto or Low Carb Daily (all low-carb plans but many keto-folk) groups.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I love Keto. It fits my lifestyle and I've lost more inches than weight with it. I eat white rice (rinsed thoroughly to get most of the starch off) and spaghetti w/ turkey meat balls as my staple carbs then the rest is whatever. No sugar or soda either. Good luck!
  • erinlpfeil
    erinlpfeil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I sure appreciate your insights!
  • Melemur
    Melemur Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb not really keto feel free to add me if you would like
  • GDowning2Fit
    GDowning2Fit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi - I want to try keto too... I've been on and off of the low carb diet for a couple of months now but I am ready to get serious. My gut is huge! :(