Working Mom and Unsupportive Husband - Gym Time vs Time with the Kids?

Options
I am really struggling with my husband lately. I have been working very hard to lose some weight after my latest pregnancy. My husband has been resentfully supportive of it the past 10 months. He will begrudgingly pick up two of three kids so I can attend a fitness class while bringing one along with me. He feels my gym time should not trump time with our 3 children, and thinks I should trim down or eliminate my gym time. We both work full time and the kids are in daycare. I add an extra hour to an extra hour and a half to their time at daycare by going to the gym, and I do it 5 days a week if feasible. Usually an appointment, meeting, or illness (my own or a child) will get me about 3-4 times a week.

It's hard enough to get to they gym all by itself, but now my husband is getting on my case. He tells me how my kids should be my top priority and I should be spending more time with them, making me feel so guilty. I am so discouraged, because the gym is the only place I actually get support and inspiration to reach my goals. I have a really good community there, and that community has done so much for both physically and emotionally. I really don't want to let it go I think it's the fuel to making me healthier and slimmer.

Does this make me a bad mom? A bad wife? I don't disagree with him, I would love to have more time with my kids, but I also want to be healthy, strong, and feel good about myself. How can I be the best mom and wife to them and still pursue losing weight?

Anyone else have a moral dilemma with losing weight and the cost their friends and family have to pay?

Replies

• smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No you are not a bad mother for wanting to be healthy and fit. You are a better mother for it, does he want an overweight, tired, stressed out, unhealthy, depressed mother for the children?

Is your husband missing out on anything by picking up the children, what would he be doing otherwise if you were there? How much time does he ordinarily spend with the children or does he think it is the mother's responsibility only to spend as much time as possible with the children?

Same alarm bells going off for me.
    BusyBaer wrote: »
    Does this make me a bad mom? A bad wife? I don't disagree with him, I would love to have more time with my kids, but I also want to be healthy, strong, and feel good about myself. How can I be the best mom and wife to them and still pursue losing weight?

I think you're already doing the best thing you can do.
  • 6raham
    6raham Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I wont speak on your husbands behalf and the only way you will know how he is feeling is by speaking with him, I can however give example of what it is like from my own perspective, my wife and I have 3 kids 4, 6 and 14, we both work (I work three jobs and volunteer) my wife one job (nights twice / three times a week) and volunteers for our kids football club, this means we pass each other in the morning and may get to sit down and eat together once or twice during the week and maybe more at weekends. For my fitness routine to work I had to combine what I do with home so I workout at home when my wife is at work (either early morning or evening), this means I can fit it in within our busy schedules and when we both finally get to have free time we spend it together. Dont get me wrong there are loads of occassions when Im stressed out from work and how busy life is I dont want to have to take care of the kids and my wife is much much much better than I am at keeping sane but for a relationship to work with busy schedules try and find a way that you can be efficient, my way was to work out at home so I can still look after the kids when my wife goes to work, that way when we are both off we spend it together as a family.
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but I have three daughters (11, 8 and 3) and while my Wife is a stay at home Mom, if my wife wanted to get in shape and go to the gym I would just suck it up and spend the time with my monsters. As it is I wish I could get more time in, and my wife is nice enough to give me a one night out a week for band practice. I feel it behooves me to give her some time from those monsters: she's with them all day!

Not sure of the age of your children or all the scenarios with you and your husband, but I definitely think he needs to be more supportive. Personally, I'd love for my wife to get back to the gym and so forth (but that's a story for another day)

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can't possibly take care of your kids if you don't first take care of yourself.

You exist as a person outside of motherhood, that is not your only value in the world.

That being said, change is hard for people, and it's not uncommon to get some resentment and insecurities expressed when people are change resistant. I suggest you talk. When the kids are not a distraction. Talk about how you want to be fit and how it's important to you that you set a good example of health FOR YOUR CHILDREN.

And give him a chance to express his concerns...he may be worried that you won't want him when you are smoking hot...he may just be having a hard time with his own stress level...or maybe he needs some time of his own away from parenthood and views this as you hogging all the free time.

Whatever it is, talk about it, and be fair, and if the discussion gets heated then table the discussion and take time to think about it and pick it back up. Fighting isn't going to solve it, but you can work it out if you two talk and compromise. Assuming he's at all reasonable. After all, he's a father, there's no reason you have to be the one caring for the kids all the time, you didn't make 'em without help, you shouldn't be raising them without help.
  • Celia0909
    Celia0909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Coming at this from a different angle. It sounds like the hard part is WHEN you want to work out...That hour or so when you leave work/pick up kids/get home and try and do dinner/baths is ROUGH. It's also when kids are hungry and overstimulated and parents are at low-energy from working all day. What if you adjusted your workouts to be 2 or 3x a week in the morning, so one parent isn't dealing with the crazy hour at home? It won't be easy, because it's hard to get up early and work out, but it might take away the idea that you're not spending time with the kids and might make the evening routine smoother.

Agree with this. I also work full time and don’t want to extend the kids daycare time do work out early morning.
  • Mendykiins
    Mendykiins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that say that you need to take care of your health-physical and mental. That IS important and you're a great mom to take that time to yourself. I WILL say though, as someone that spent a summer working at a few day cares... don't make your kiddos spend more time there. There isn't much thriving at a daycare. It's rough, but if you can fit your gym time earlier or later in the evening when they're in bed or winding down, try that. Best wishes!
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    No, you're not a bad mom for wanting to get fit.
    But, I also think part of his problem is WHEN you exercise. A couple of years ago my husband had a fulltime job 90 minutes away from where we lived, so I was always the one to take kids to daycare and pick them up. I felt like I was a bad employee because I was never able to stay a bit extra for work...or do anything after work with my collegues.

Today we work at the same time. We more or less take turns on picking up kids. I work out a bit most days, but at very different hours, as my husband also go out some evenings - he's a scout leader. And this seems a lot better for everyone
  • Shenanigans38
    Shenanigans38 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need that hour to yourself everyday and it's not too much to ask. Is it possible to start your day a little earlier and attend a gym close to home...put the hour on the front end while the kids sleep?