Journey Day 1

Options
I’m 47 years old, healthy for the most part. I do have improvements to make. Today is day 1 of my life changes. I have grandkids and want to be around for them and be able to play with them nd not get tired so fast. After last weekend i was working around my house, nothing to bad and get tired fast. That is when i decided that im going to make a change. So im going to start out slow, walk an hour on the treadmill to start with.
So hear i go...

Replies

• Melolson14
    Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well so far day 1 is going good.
    Food went well
    Exercise didn’t happen today.
  • mellyb11
    mellyb11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well done on making a start...
    Im day 3 and eating better and exercising daily. I have used MFP before and done really well, but never stuck to it.
    What is your scale or non scale goals?
  • Melolson14
    Options
    Day 2
    Well rested and up early
    Changing my breakfast habits. I used to eat bread a lot. So I’m cutting it back.
    I will be making a protein shake, after my coffee.
    I will keep you posted
  • Melolson14
    Options
    My scale goals are 170-160.
  • Melolson14
    Options
    Day 3
    Yesterday didn’t go the greatest, but I’m still working on it.
    I’m eating 1200 calories
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    Day 3
    Yesterday didn’t go the greatest, but I’m still working on it.
    I’m eating 1200 calories

Are you just journaling or open to some BTDT advice? If the second, 1200 calories is hangry territory for me, and also not necessary (even at 5'2 and normal BMI I can eat more than that and lose, albeit somewhat slowly). If you still feel you must eat 1200 calories, focus on protein, adequate fat, and fiber.
  • ABNana2614
    ABNana2614 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started. I recently just got back into it myself. I'm a 46 year old grandmother who also just wants to be around for a long time with my grandchildren and able to actively play with them. :)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    good luck. Totally agree that 1200 is probably needlessly low, no need to make it harder than it needs to me.

nothing wrong with carbs. I eat steel cut oats for breakfast and still loose weight.
  • Melolson14
    Options
    I just thought it was a good number to start with (1200).
    But I’m not sure what number it should be at.
  • robin153
    robin153 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started my journey here and looking forward to connecting so I marked you discussion. Are you looking for advice or just support?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You want to lose 10lbs right? so set this app for 0.5lb loss per week, that will give you the calories you can eat at to lose that amount.
    Log everything you eat, move a bit and weight loss will happen, it just takes time and longer than we ever think so be patient.

All the best,
    Ruth

(ps I'm a nana too (I'm 49) :smiley: love being a grandparent :smiley: )
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I just thought it was a good number to start with (1200).
    But I’m not sure what number it should be at.

Use the website you are currently on, that's a main function of it! ;)

Here is a step by step guide. Basically you go in My Home, Goals, View Guided Set-up and input critieria. for only 10 pds don't go faster than 1pd a week.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Personally I'd choose 1/2 pound a week with only 10 pounds to lose, and advise against choosing sedentary (contrary to the link). Most people choose sedentary, even though most people aren't. I fit the profile for sedentary (desk job, not a lot of daily activity) but my results say I'm actually a little more than lightly active.

But definitely set up your diet profile here. It's such a basic function of MFP that I'm always surprised when people post saying they don't know.
  • Melolson14
    Options
    Day 4

I’m excited for this journey
    I know there will be ups and downs.
    I’m working on drinking more water and eating better. I still like some beer and wine sometimes. This is going to be a challenge
  • Melolson14
    Options
    I changed my goals to loss 1/2 lb a week
    It gave me 1830 calories a day. That just seems so much
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    It might seem like a lot, but it means that you can enjoy that bottle of beer or wine on occasion without blowing the budget, and it stop you from being hungry all the time as well, which is normally the sticking point with most people's weight loss efforts.

However, I would point out that if you're trying to lose slowly, it is very important to log accurately, weigh every solid and measure every liquid that goes into your mouth.

And at the end of the day, if you get to about 4 weeks and you're not noticing any difference, you can always lower the amount of calories you're eating.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    I changed my goals to loss 1/2 lb a week
    It gave me 1830 calories a day. That just seems so much

You could split the difference and aim for 1500 per day for a few weeks and see how it goes.
  • Melolson14
    Options
    Last week I started with a personal trainer and have lost 1.4lbs in a week.
    Off to a good start.