Rationing out calories

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in knowing what you are eating that 600 calories seems stingy for dinner. 4-6 oz of lean meat, a veg or two with some oil, and a carb should just get you there.

Im sure 600 is actually not. Its me figuring out my correct portion sizes and (husband does the cooking in our house) looking at what he is making before hand and figuring out the nutrition of it all and how much, if any of certain carb food i can actually have..last night for instance we had wraps. I knew the wrap itself would have some carbs/ higher in cals but wasnt to bad. Then had some chicken, cucumber, tomatoe, cheese (put more than i should have for the cals in it) then added leftover quinoa..which has a ton of cals.. then chipotle sauce which was nooott a good choice either. Seemed like a healthy meal..just should have really took the time to look into everything first before eating it thennnnn adding it in here.

There was a poster a while back (don't remember who) whose wife cooked dinner and he never had a clue what the calories would be so he couldn't plan for it. So he started logging today's dinner on the next day so he could adjust calories for his other meals. Over the course of a week it all worked out. Might work for you.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    600 calories for dinner would feel stingy to me. I like having one big meal a day and eating a relatively light (or no) breakfast and ~400 calorie lunch. Maybe a small afternoon snack (string cheese, bit of chocolate, yogurt, etc.)
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Weekdays: wake up at 5am, workout 5:30-6 (exercise videos)
    Net calories before workout = 1400. After workout = 1500-1550

*Beakfast at 6:45am. calories = 250 - 300. Usually bagel with light spread or breakfast burrito that contains protein
    *Snack at 10:30-11am. Calories = 75 - 150. Have savory things like crackers, only take in enough for one serving.
    *Lunch whenever i get hungry (flexible boss), usually around 12-12:15 depending on when I had snack. Calories = 300-350
    *Dinner approx 5:45-6:45. anywhere from 500-700 calories depending on what i'm having (higher range = eat out, lower range = home meal)
    *Dessert at 8:30pm. Size depends on how many calories I have to spare, leave a balance of 75-150 on my net goal.

Notes:
    -I'm losing very slowly, but also not working as hard as others. I do exercise to work on fitness, not to kill myself, so sticking to lower intensities. I sweat, but can still breathe at end...
    -Large help to me was sipping water instead of snacking. Found I tend to snack out of boredom
    -Log EVERYTHING. No cheat snacks at work, or when you are waiting for dinner to cook.
    -Set myself a firm "dessert-o-clock" to avoid having too much dessert. It is long enough after dinner that I enjoy it, but far enough out from bedtime that I don't regret choices.

On weekends I try to see how long I can go without food. I wake up slightly later, do exercise as soon as I wake up. Usually able to either skip breakfast entirely, or have breakfast but skip lunch.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That sounds like me! Working out and eating healthy isnt my norm. So to jump full force into it i think id die and end up caving and binging on bad food for like 2 days straight aha im not gunna punish myself by going over a bit in calories because i know im being way more causious of what im eat, making better choices for food and portion size for what im eating..and im starting to work out n move but do not wana cause any damage by over doing it. Baby steps to last :)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like my problem is with my breakfast meals, need to find better options to cut down the calories! I have been cutting down on alot and trying to make better changes, though some of the better options like almonds and quinoa instead of rices and stuff still takes away a ton of my daily calories even though i know they are healthy calories. I have been cutting back a ton on alcohol as well and when i do have some drinks on weekends ( got to be honest I usually have more than one and know i am over my calories but use sat nights as a off night/cheat night) but I have been trying to drink very low cal/carb beers or vodka with water and lemon juice or some mix lower in cals. What does everyone chose for alcohol drinks when you do have some drinks?? Im interested to learn what healthier options are out there! (sorry - i know its bad cals but im not looking to cut it out completely/ forever)

alcool is a hard one as it is high cal. if you like harder clear liquors with non caloric mixer that is a better way. check out Hungry Girl she has lots of tips for drinks. Personally i just make it work for a smaller quantity of beer or wine.

i reduced rices and such because they are not my favorite, they eat up a ton of calories and I like to eat VOLUME. so tons of veggies VS 1/4cup cooked rice. I do love riced cauliflower.

for breakfast i eat steel cut oats.

and yes i prelog as much as possible to make better choice at least at first or something new.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any of your exercise calories? If not, try starting with about half of what you burn and see if that helps.
  • Panini911
    Options
    I would be interested in knowing what you are eating that 600 calories seems stingy for dinner. 4-6 oz of lean meat, a veg or two with some oil, and a carb should just get you there.

Im sure 600 is actually not. Its me figuring out my correct portion sizes and (husband does the cooking in our house) looking at what he is making before hand and figuring out the nutrition of it all and how much, if any of certain carb food i can actually have..last night for instance we had wraps. I knew the wrap itself would have some carbs/ higher in cals but wasnt to bad. Then had some chicken, cucumber, tomatoe, cheese (put more than i should have for the cals in it) then added leftover quinoa..which has a ton of cals.. then chipotle sauce which was nooott a good choice either. Seemed like a healthy meal..just should have really took the time to look into everything first before eating it thennnnn adding it in here.

as yes one quickly learns that wrap+chicken+cheese+quinoa or rice really adds up fast!

healthy in NO WAY means low cal. there are a TON of wonderfully "clean" recipes that are high cal (if not most)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like my problem is with my breakfast meals, need to find better options to cut down the calories! I have been cutting down on alot and trying to make better changes, though some of the better options like almonds and quinoa instead of rices and stuff still takes away a ton of my daily calories even though i know they are healthy calories. I have been cutting back a ton on alcohol as well and when i do have some drinks on weekends ( got to be honest I usually have more than one and know i am over my calories but use sat nights as a off night/cheat night) but I have been trying to drink very low cal/carb beers or vodka with water and lemon juice or some mix lower in cals. What does everyone chose for alcohol drinks when you do have some drinks?? Im interested to learn what healthier options are out there! (sorry - i know its bad cals but im not looking to cut it out completely/ forever)

No. Those breakfast calories don't seem high to me. The problem might be your total daily calories are too low. What is your target at the moment?

I use alcohol a bit, but only ONE drink at a time, and often its only one day in a whole week. My preference is brandy or whisky. Not so much beer, but even then it would only be one.
  • Panini911
    Options
    600 calories for dinner is a ton. You just need to work on better dinner plans not reduce breakfast. Things didn't work out with the wrap but that in no way means you can't have a good and satisfying meal for dinner for 500-600 calories (depending if you want a snack after dinner or eat all the calories for dinner).
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    @TonyB0588 I have 1480 calories per day. Thats before (if i do) work out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Is that the most appropriate calorie goal for you?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    How does everyone split up their calories for the day?? I know its alot of personal preference on whether you prefer a bigger breakfast or supper. But Lately I find come supper I am short on calories and end up going over (prob have to adjust what i am eating more to) but I wake up between 5 and 6am depending if i go to the gym or not. Start work at 830. Come 9/9:30 I am starving. I will then sip on coffee all morning and have something to eat which all together for the morning i tend to be between 400&500cals. Lunch is at 1. And tends to be a bit better and only have water for liquid calories. Then end up having a small snack in the afternoon. I work a desk job so its hard not to sit here and snack all day lol Supper is usually around 630 and by then seem to have around 600cals left. Which unless im only having salad or something light seems to cut it short. I am still working on finding the healthiest options. Then if I have a light supper, by 10pm im quite hungry again. Try and load up on water or add apple cider vinegar but looking to see how everyone else distributes their calories through the day so that there never starving at any point.

Every day is different for me, if I wake up hungry i'll have a snack earlier or eat lunch earlier or if i'm not very hungry in the morning i'll have a big dessert after dinner. 600 calories is pretty good for dinner, that's around how many calories each of my meals are. Are you getting enough protein? Fat ? Are you meeting your macro goals? These things may help with satiety. Why do you add apple cider vinegar? Doesn't that make you gag?
  • KristaMac88
    Options

I am not sure lol I have it set to lose 1.5lbs per week. I do go over my goal dialy but around 100cals..but..its making me super cautious of what im eating and how much.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I usually do 200-300 for breakfast, 250-350 for lunch, 300-600 for dinner, and try not to go over 200 for any snacks, making sure I don't go over my 1660 limit for losing right now. If I have extra calories in the evening I may treat myself to a nicer snack.
  • Panini911
    Options

I am not sure lol I have it set to lose 1.5lbs per week. I do go over my goal dialy but around 100cals..but..its making me super cautious of what im eating and how much.

how much do you hope to loose overall?
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    How does everyone split up their calories for the day?? I know its alot of personal preference on whether you prefer a bigger breakfast or supper. But Lately I find come supper I am short on calories and end up going over (prob have to adjust what i am eating more to) but I wake up between 5 and 6am depending if i go to the gym or not. Start work at 830. Come 9/9:30 I am starving. I will then sip on coffee all morning and have something to eat which all together for the morning i tend to be between 400&500cals. Lunch is at 1. And tends to be a bit better and only have water for liquid calories. Then end up having a small snack in the afternoon. I work a desk job so its hard not to sit here and snack all day lol Supper is usually around 630 and by then seem to have around 600cals left. Which unless im only having salad or something light seems to cut it short. I am still working on finding the healthiest options. Then if I have a light supper, by 10pm im quite hungry again. Try and load up on water or add apple cider vinegar but looking to see how everyone else distributes their calories through the day so that there never starving at any point.

Every day is different for me, if I wake up hungry i'll have a snack earlier or eat lunch earlier or if i'm not very hungry in the morning i'll have a big dessert after dinner. 600 calories is pretty good for dinner, that's around how many calories each of my meals are. Are you getting enough protein? Fat ? Are you meeting your macro goals? These things may help with satiety. Why do you add apple cider vinegar? Doesn't that make you gag?

No aha I add it to water in the mornings or evening because i read it had different benefits to it but it more so helps keep you full longer.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

No aha I add it to water in the mornings or evening because i read it had different benefits to it but it more so helps keep you full longer.

That's a myth..
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

How much weight are you trying to lose? I was at 1821 calories when I began, then I reset MFP after it came down a bit and now it gives me a slightly higher allowance.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

How much weight are you trying to lose? I was at 1821 calories when I began, then I reset MFP after it came down a bit and now it gives me a slightly higher allowance.

I am looking to lose about 30+ lbs. Do not have any set timeframe though.