Reducing bodyfat and gaining muscle

Options
Im a beginner. I read i can do this at the same time having bodyfat above 25 percent. But I spoke to people online and they say I cant. Only fat loss and maybe strength gain?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Recomp is possible yes.
  • siddhantdutt09
    siddhantdutt09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    But i read you can make it when your at a deficit too. Thats where people are saying it cant happen but articles say otherwise
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    But i read you can make it when your at a deficit too. Thats where people are saying it cant happen but articles say otherwise

You can make newbie gains in a deficit
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest not worrying about the question in an academic way.

If you want to lose fat, set yourself up here with a sensibly moderate weight loss rate target, read the "Most Helpful Posts" areas to get tips and methods, and hit your calorie goal most days, plus meet or exceed your protein goal.

Start a well-designed beginner weight training program. (In the "Gaining Weight and Body Building" (I think it's called) section of the forum, the Most Helpful Posts section has an excellent thread about picking the best strength training program for you. I wish I could link it for you, but I can't from this device.)

Properly hit your calorie goal, and follow your strength training program, adjusting details if needed based on results.

At worst, you'll lose fat, gain strength, look/feel firmer, and preserve as much as possible of your current muscle mass - all of which is a good thing, and most of which is an improvement on where you are now.

At best, as a weight training beginner, you might even gain a bit of new muscle. Yay for extras! ;)

Really, you're not going to get anything at all out of over-analyzing the question. Do the work, you'll get beneficial results, and when you see those results, you'll know the answer, in personal terms. There's a payoff, for sure.

Best wishes! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Most people (general population) can make some gains in a small deficit. The very lean and/or very highly trained probably will struggle though.

ryqvtrtwkz26.png
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Most people (general population) can make some gains in a small deficit. The very lean and/or very highly trained probably will struggle though.

ryqvtrtwkz26.png

OP says they are a beginner
  • sijomial
    Options
    Im a beginner. I read i can do this at the same time having bodyfat above 25 percent. But I spoke to people online and they say I cant. Only fat loss and maybe strength gain?

What are your actual goals and priorities?
    To reduce your body fat quickly or to build strength and muscle?
    Do you want to end up lighter or stay at your current weight?

There isn't a particular BF% where recomp becomes impossible, it just gets harder the leaner you are - you are nowhere near having to worry about that,
  • sijomial
    Options

ryqvtrtwkz26.png

OP says they are a beginner

I saw that and expanded on your point. It's not limited to newbies or so called newbie gains - they just find it easier and faster than people with more training.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

There isn't a particular BF% where recomp becomes impossible, it just gets harder the leaner you are - you are nowhere near having to worry about that,

@sijomial I know recomp is not as efficient as you get leaner, but do you know around what upper limit of bodyfat it becomes inefficient as well?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you want to lose fat, set yourself up here with a sensibly moderate weight loss rate target, read the "Most Helpful Posts" areas to get tips and methods, and hit your calorie goal most days, plus meet or exceed your protein goal.

Start a well-designed beginner weight training program. (In the "Gaining Weight and Body Building" (I think it's called) section of the forum, the Most Helpful Posts section has an excellent thread about picking the best strength training program for you. I wish I could link it for you, but I can't from this device.)

Properly hit your calorie goal, and follow your strength training program, adjusting details if needed based on results.

At worst, you'll lose fat, gain strength, look/feel firmer, and preserve as much as possible of your current muscle mass - all of which is a good thing, and most of which is an improvement on where you are now.

At best, as a weight training beginner, you might even gain a bit of new muscle. Yay for extras! ;)

Really, you're not going to get anything at all out of over-analyzing the question. Do the work, you'll get beneficial results, and when you see those results, you'll know the answer, in personal terms. There's a payoff, for sure.

This. All of this. Sometimes we way over analyze ourselves here. Set yourself a reasonable calorie deficit goal to promote fat loss, workout and do strength training, and then your body will do what it will do with it. You may gain muscle, you may just maintain muscle and get stronger, but you should lose fat.

I guess also, I would ask: what is the purpose of needing to gain muscle mass? If you are gaining functional strength, why does it become as important about how much muscle mass you actually have? Knowing a little bit about your goals would be good, but if you are a beginner, I suggest approaching this as a beginner. Which means keeping it simple, and not over complicating anything.
  • sijomial
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

@sijomial I know recomp is not as efficient as you get leaner, but do you know around what upper limit of bodyfat it becomes inefficient as well?
    @sardelsa
    In theory the fatter you are the more easily available energy you have - I don't see a high level of fat as being a barrier to recomp at all if someone is happy to tolerate a high BF% for a long time. You will struggle to actually see progress though.

The 300lb powerlifter in my gym for example doesn't mind being fat and very strong, strength is his only goal whereas most over-fat people have some aesthetic or health drivers to get their BF% down quicker. Obviously a deficit is going to be far faster to achieve that but will probably compromise their rate of muscle gain.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

@sardelsa
    In theory the fatter you are the more easily available energy you have - I don't see a high level of fat as being a barrier to recomp at all if someone is happy to tolerate a high BF% for a long time. You will struggle to actually see progress though.

The 300lb powerlifter in my gym for example doesn't mind being fat and very strong, strength is his only goal whereas most over-fat people have some aesthetic or health drivers to get their BF% down quicker. Obviously a deficit is going to be far faster to achieve that but will probably compromise their rate of muscle gain.

Thank you @sijomial , very informative :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

@sardelsa

Just as a case in point: I lost a couple of pants sizes while obese, and thighs in particular got smaller, while remaining obese, over a period of years . . . from rowing (really a lot), with some but not regular/progressive weight training. Once I lost down to a healthy weight, previously-hidden muscles showed up that I'd not had before starting rowing. I'm not arguing that it was in any way efficient, but it was surprisingly effective despite both body weight and activity level (not mention age, then 45+, and sex, female, plus vegetarian ;) ) being clearly supoptimal to achieve that effect.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The link I was referring to is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

(I changed devices. ;) ).
  • siddhantdutt09
    siddhantdutt09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys. My main aim is to drop 15 kgs of fat as i gained alot , alot of my shirts have become tight and jeans too. My chest fat is buldging. Im overweight. I want muscle too but fat looks ugly . In an ideal scenaroo id want both but fat loss a bit more atm