Jogging? How do you begin?

Options
13»

Replies

• texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If Couch to 5K seems too much, consider trying None to Run. I'm just finishing, and there's an awesome, encouraging FB group, too.
  • garciasaul2649
    garciasaul2649 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would start on a treadmill with a bit of incline, then when you feel ready increase the speed a bit every week and eventually go out, jogging on the road is harder than the treadmill :)
  • smithmj_13
    smithmj_13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Jogging? How do you begin?" With a brisk walk and go on from there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So its not going to backpedal me to walk a block or two and then start jogging again? All the people in my life say that you undo everything you worked for if you stop to walk for a block or so?

They're completely wrong.... there are people running marathon distance races using a run/walk method (often referred to the Galloway method) and turning in some pretty impressive times.

I've been running consistently for over 10 years now (I've gone from 5K races to half-marathons & Olympic distance triathlons) and when I started I could barely get around the block. I stared with running (very slowly) 1 minute then walking 9 & repeat, then 2 minutes running & 8 minutes walking etc until I was running 10 (well, slowly shuffling to be more accurate) and then built up from there.

I'm going to guess that your boyfriend is going faster than you can handle. Running is the simplest of activities but we all adapt at our own rates. You probably need to slow down and build up very gradually. Most of your runs should be at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation, your breathing should be deep and relaxed.

Don't try to rush the process. Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast. At the risk of using a cliche it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Running has been a great source of joy for me, it's almost like mobile meditation and your boyfriend is right about the runner's high. You don't experience it every run but when it's good it's great.

• rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Start out slow by walking anout half an hour to an hour, Built up to it then fast power walk about in 2 weeks . Then really walk fast as you can keep that up for an hour , by the end of the month you should be walking so fast that you are jogging . 👍😃
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So its not going to backpedal me to walk a block or two and then start jogging again? All the people in my life say that you undo everything you worked for if you stop to walk for a block or so?

Over the last three weeks I've started using run/walk intervals on my long runs (Despite being perfectly capable of running 13miles without needing to stop or walk)

In those 3 weeks I :
    completed a very hilly (notoriously hilly) 10mile race with my (at the time) 3rd best 10mile time.
    Took 5mins off my 10mile pr (this was the week after the race)
    Finally broke the 2:30 half taking 3min45 off my half time (and this was not in race conditions so I didn't have the extra buzz from that.

Does that sound like a backwards step. I find that I can push the run intervals at my 5k pace and then fast walk and I end up faster than if I just run straight (as I tend to start too fast and then burn out)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting! Run/walk programs are a great way to start, and a lot of people stick with them even after they finish. Jeff Galloway even argues that slower runners can cover more distance with a run/walk plan than they can if they run continuously, because the short walk breaks allow for a faster running pace. You can check out his website if you want to learn more: http://www.jeffgalloway.com

The Boy Scout Handbook recommends "scout's pace" for covering distance quickly without getting fatigued: it's basically run-walk intervals.