How did you stop sabotaging yourself?

I have noticed that I am in a long, emotionally-exhausting, and frustrating cycle of re-starting due to sabotaging myself. I always think I have some amazing reason (excuse) to quit and "try something else". That's what i always tell myself.. oh, it's just "this" diet doesn't work. I need to start a different one.

But what happens is I eat what I want for days or weeks or months in between whatever diet I am yo-yo'ing to. So, in the last 2 years, I have managed to gain back the 45 lbs I originally lost with Keto.

And it has not just been Keto, FYI. I have tried them ALL. Keto, other low carb diets, high carb/low fat, vegetarian, vegan, regular calorie counting with no restrictions, etc etc.

I always think I have some legitimate reason to switch or give up. Oh, I hate the food on this diet. Oh, this is affecting my (insert random physical ailment here). Oh, this is too hard on me mentally with all the restrictions. You name it, I came up with it.

Basically, I know realistically what my food addict brain is doing, I just don't know how to stop it. If anyone has gone through this and overcome it, do you have any tips?

Replies

• whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I have never experienced this, but you have given me a lot more insight to why many people do so many different specific diets or eating plans. I never understood it. I mean this sincerely.

My Fitness Pal and calorie counting is the only thing I've ever tried outside of just a vague notion of "trying to eat less and eat healthier" so I have zero familiarity with the various diets. I will say it worked well for me as I've kept off over 100 for 5 years. Maybe it's worth a shot, just doing moderation? I don't know your goals though and fully understand that losing 100 is a lot different than losing that last 10-15 lb.

Ok now go ahead and "woo" me, rude person who woos all of my posts this week. Thanks.

I have about 120 lbs to lose, so definitely not in those last few pounds. I wish I was lol. Honestly, I think the frequency at which people talk about other diets has made it soooo much harder for me. I used MFP like 10 years ago when I first lost weight (60 lbs in like 4 months). And for some reason now, it is soooo much more difficult. I have NO idea why my brain can't just stick to calorie counting and exercise, and be done with it.

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    What I am doing different this time:
    -keep a list of reasons to keep going. I have this list set as a daily reminder. Every day at 8am, my phone goes bing and I see my list.
    -celebrate what I do right: every night before I go to sleep I think of a few reasons to congratulate myself and I tell my husband at least one of those things. I also have a dance party with every five pounds lost.
    -mindful eating: this is always part of the reason behind tracking, as it helps keep you aware of what you are eating, but I also serve my food, sit down and experience it with all my senses, no phone, no TV, sometimes no company. Chew thoroughly, put the fork down a few times, only drink water at most meals.
    -set fitness goals: from new yoga poses to being able to bike up bigger hills, these goals require consistency in my routine, and become easier as I lose weight. Fitness adds to the motivation to eat properly.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited December 2018
    For me, I just got tired of the excess fat. I realized that weight loss is a numbers game and it is all about burning more calories than you eat. You have to find what works for you. Track the calories. Moderate portions. After a while, you will find what things just aren't worth the extra calories, and which things are worth making room for in your calories.

I also didn't beat myself up too much if I had days where I went over. I didn't allow myself to "miss out" on having fun. I had days where I didn't track on MFP (but still kept an approx count in my head). I wasn't perfect in my logging, but I was consistent and was in a calorie deficit most days.

ETA: I didn't do any of the named diets. I just ate the same foods, but ate less of it.
  • whatalazyidiot
    ejg1010 wrote: »
    ‘Dieting’ is a short term fix. You need to make permanent changes to stop the yo-yo effect.

You say that you lost 60lbs in about 4 months. Whilst that shows impressive discipline for those 4 months, you must have really restricted yourself and that’s just not sustainable.

Slow and steady wins the race. Don’t go without anything, set a realistic weekly goal (such as 1lb per week to begin with) which allows you to have a little bit of what you fancy. It’s so much more enjoyable that way. You get to eat the things you like in moderation and still see a downward trend on the scale, win-win!!

Best of luck. You’ve got this.

Yes, very true. I had just used the calories MFP gave me, which was barely over 1,200. I probably had more 900-1,000 calorie days at the time. I couldn't do that now if I tried. I don't even know how I managed it then, but either way, definitely not sustainable for me.
  • whatalazyidiot
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I appreciate it. I agree that it is going to be different for everyone, but I just have this hurdle that makes it hard to stick to it. Still trying though!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    sounds like you keep "dieting" by under eating and eliminating foods completely which make it impossible to stick to long term. loosing fast is meaningless if you can't keep at it more than a few weeks (nor is loosing fast actually "good for you".)

why not just eat foods you enjoy, in a proper amount (no less than 1200 calories, but eat back your exercise calories)/.
    yes there may be some foods that are hard to eat in moderation so those can be off the table for now but avoid putting entire food groups off the table.

What did I do? I set up a routine. I am a very routine person so having plans for food for the week that i know worked in my calorie goal was crucial. I also keep foods that i can't stop eating out of the house.

I eat chocolate and dessert daily when loosing weight. I ensure to include foods I enjoy in moderation. I am a volume eater so I eat a lot of raw veggies and often skip rice and potatoes as they are not foods I really care for and are calorie dense (but that's just MY thing). I find cutting up veggies in smaller segments allows me to eat "longer" without more calories - again just a trick that works for me.

I eat a reasonable amount of calories that keep my body functionning properly and allow a small calorie deficit.

I don't need to sabbotage myself as I am giving myself enough food daily and enough things I love daily to not feel i am white knuckling it and want to jump off the second i can.
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    edited December 2018
    Others have already said most of what I'd say. Just want to add a few more tips.

On making the new lifestyle more enjoyable:
    - Learn to savour the foods you eat, especially the treats. Eat them slowly and really focus on the experience, you'll get just as much satisfaction from it as if you ate a larger quantity.
    - If you're having trouble limiting treat portions then don't keep them in the house. Instead, go out for treats. Order a small serving, enjoy it and then go back home to a fridge full of healthy food satisfied enough not to snarl at it. It's extra effort and more expensive which are further reasons not to do it too often.
    - If you're having trouble sticking to regular exercise, find a sport you like. If you like soccer, for example, you'll be too busy thinking about scoring the next goal to think about the cardio workout you're doing. When you're doing exercise just for the sake of exercise, like running on a treadmill for example, it becomes a grueling chore and that's just not something most people can stick to on an indefinite basis.

On getting more motivated:
    - Break up your goal into smaller goals. Trying to lose 5 lbs by the end of the month is a lot less intimidating than thinking about the 45 lbs you need to lose in total.
    - There are some sports that have built-in goals. For example, most martial arts have a belt system. If you're aiming for that next belt it keeps you coming back and working hard.
    - Some people find it helpful to add other MFP users as friends to keep them motivated. There's a thread on here somewhere called "Post here if you want more friends". You might want to give that a go.
    - Take some of the pressure off. Unless you're trying to slim down for a wedding or something, there is no reason to rush this. Set reasonable, attainable goals and enjoy the process of reaching them.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Oh girl! Im the same way! I have researched and attempted short term every diet out there, I have googled reviews or even tried mannnyy of the weight loss pill gimmicks with a smidge of hope that even if was a..placebo effect, that it would trick me into doing better so the pills would work and id quickly lose a few and it would motivate me to keep going and lose more. Now im lowering my carb and sugar intake - without slashing them all together. and trying to stick to my calorie goal without obsessing or starving over it. I go over most days. Im still working on figuring out what seems like healthy options are actually high in cals. I know its not going to be a fast process, but hoping making it a habit, and figuring out foods that i love, and need to eat more of (vegies) will all work out together and keep getting me closer to my calorie goals and be a long term change i can stick to!
  • I am with you girl! I have quit evvvvvverything. I am finally sticking to Keto. What I decided was that I was going to commit to three months. Commit to myself for three months. No matter what. I was going to stick with it for three months and at the end of three months decide if I was going to stick with it. Decide you're worth it!
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    For me it all just clicked in my brain one day that I didn’t want to lose weight to look better or to be a certain size. I have been really working loving myself and accepting where I am.
    I realized I want to lose weight and exercise because I want to live longer for my children.
    & because I know that if I’m healthier physically i will also be healthier mentally.

I can’t really tell you where I started to get to this place but I will say I think it mostly came from self love. Taking a photo in a bathing suit and posting it on fb was really powerful for me because I was going to love all my rolls and all my extra pounds.

Also I think certain things work for certain people.
    Keto works for some people. WW works for some people.
    For me calorie counting really works because I can still eat things I love. Another thing I do is try to make thing I love to eat like poutine and make a healthier version!
    Or I love buffalo chicken fingers so I buy some frozen ones toss then in 0 zero calorie hot sauce and serve on a huge salad with some low calorie ranch! Totally satisfies my cravings!

Also I would like to say it’s okay to have a off day.
    I have them. The most imported thing to do is to track it!!! When I have to type it into my app and it tells me that if I ate like that every day for 5 weeks I would gain two pounds it makes me want to do better tomorrow. But I also realize that life happened and those days are going to happen.
    It’s imported to learn how to get back on the wagon.
    Also it’s normal to have not so good weeks.
    It’s also okay to just maintain for awhile.

Weight loss is not a sprint it’s a marathon.
    I’ve lost 19 pounds sense June.
    Is that a lot no.. but I have done it in a healthy way and you know what if I keep doing what I’m doing I’ll be at my goal weight by next June!
    Even if it takes you a year to lose 40 pounds that’s okay!
    Not compare your weight loss to others.

Don’t deprive yourself but don’t eat because your stressed or unhappy.
    Get up and move some more but you need to go to the gym everyday or even at all!
    Take care of your mental health!
    Track everything and everyday!
    Weigh in every two weeks instead of weekly.

Take a deep breath and think of why you really want this!