Womens safety while running alone

Options

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    there is now a free app called NOONLIGHT check it out...simple to install on your phone and easy to use.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I did feel very safe when my husky was alive and walking with me.

2puw7zhucfui.jpg

Now I carry pepper spray and a phone, and told my OH I use MapMyHike - presumably if I didn't come back one day the police could get my last location from that? I'm not really worried about this, just thinking it out.

I usually have clippers for trail maintenance too.

While I do wear headphones, I don't play the music loud enough that I can't hear other people.

I have taken a self defense class in the past, but that was probably 20 years ago, so should take a refresher.

I am friendly when I encounter people on the trails, but reserved.

Beautiful dog
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    resale3108 wrote: »
    I mostly run alone, I take many of the reasonable precautions already mentioned in this thread. As long as for me personally, the benefits outweigh the risks, I will continue to run alone.

Wear those teeth when you go running. Bare them at anyone who comes near you and they'll sprint off in the opposite direction!

Those are my real teeth :#
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Get a taser gun.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    resale3108 wrote: »
    I mostly run alone, I take many of the reasonable precautions already mentioned in this thread. As long as for me personally, the benefits outweigh the risks, I will continue to run alone.

Wear those teeth when you go running. Bare them at anyone who comes near you and they'll sprint off in the opposite direction!

Those are my real teeth :#

I can only imagine what your fingernails look like. (Wont contemplate yiur toenails, thats just too weird). And you have to practice looking more scary.
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There’s a lot to consider and a lot of good advice in this thread. One thing I typically do is only put one earbud in my ear to listen to music when I run outside. The other ear is open.

That way I can still have my music, but not be completely tuned out from the world. It doesn’t just help against potential crime, but also bad drivers, ambulances, dogs, and more.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Trying to figure out how to ask this.

As a guy, if I'm on the same trail as you, and I'm coming up behind you, what (if anything) can I do to make you feel more comfortable. Some of the trails I run on are not well traveled, but I still will see someone. Normally it's a couple walking a dog, but it could be someone running alone.

Yell, "Behind you!" from a good distance away. I can usually hear oncoming runners, but I appreciate when they give me a warning.

Not "HE'S" behind you or "I'M" behind you? :D

I think "on your left" is a good choice, it's like, I'm just doing my thing the same as you are doing your thing, all here for the same reason, carry on.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,802 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray and use one ear bud. I have had a man run by me and cop a feel on my butt in the past. It was pretty creepy when it happened but no weapon or self defense would have prevented it. He was a LOT faster than I was.

I wear a lot of flashing lights when it's dark. I agree that there is more danger from neighborhood traffic backing out of driveways half asleep or loose dogs then a criminal. I actually got hit and run side swiped by a truck last year in a school zone in a cross walk. I dove out of the way, and it only glanced me but it was a huge wake up call. I am sure they never saw me. I was in their blind spot left front, but I am always hyper aware of traffic and realized they were going to turn into me giving me the opportunity to dive forward. I also checked my flashing lights and they had lost a lot of their battery power so not completely the driver's fault. CHECK YOUR LIGHTS OUT!

I don't run the same route every day at the same time. Not for safety specifically altho it is a good idea, but just because I like to vary my routine and see different neighborhoods.

It's a good topic for ALL runners not just women.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @smolmaus I agree with you. If I felt unsafe, perhaps I would do all the things to make myself feel safer. I'm not sure that many people truly recognize the difference between *feeling* safe and *being* safe. Many of these precautions seem designed to reinforce the idea that women are natural victims, and paying too much attention to all the ways I can make myself the less attractive target actually makes me feel LESS safe.

I don't feel like I'm admitting my own victimhood to provide a general map of where I intend to be, or tell someone how long they should wait before sending out the search party. Making myself visible to traffic is just plain sense. The level of commitment to ensure that a weapon stays in my control is way more effort than I'm willing to make to keep safe. Especially when the actual level of risk is really so low. Carrying a weapon that can easily be taken and used against me makes me feel least safe of all.

I am not a car, either. I leave that unlocked in the driveway. It hasn't been stolen, yet. Once, someone stole my energy drink and the DC converter for my phone charger (but not the cable) out of my unlocked car. I have no idea what sort of analogy that would make.

I'm probably safer on the treadmill at home, and it's easier - but I still miss the freedom of running at midnight and maybe seeing a skunk or coyote. But why would I do that, with the treadmill in the living room? It's so safe.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    @smolmaus I agree with you. If I felt unsafe, perhaps I would do all the things to make myself feel safer. I'm not sure that many people truly recognize the difference between *feeling* safe and *being* safe. Many of these precautions seem designed to reinforce the idea that women are natural victims, and paying too much attention to all the ways I can make myself the less attractive target actually makes me feel LESS safe.

Yes, well put. I can't live my life believing and following every tip anyone has ever given me. I'd never leave my house. Or let anyone in.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You know, it never occurred to me that it might be unsafe to run on my own at night. It might be that I grew up and now live in fairly good areas, but I have never felt unsafe wherever I've lived. This shocked my female friends when I told them that while I was at uni, I used to walk home, alone, after a night out (drunk, in very stupidly high heels and it took about half an hour).

Of course I would say that part of this does come down to myself personally. As @autumnblade75 said above, I do not feel like I am going to be a victim, and so these kind of precautions seem unnecessary to me. I do martial arts and have done a lot of self defense stuff in the past, so I guess I am confident in myself and I honestly think that that shows.

I have, however, started running with my dog, nothing to do with safety though, it gives him a nice run around when I can't really let him off the lead when it's dark. He is a spaniel though, so not exactly fearsome but means my runs are now less lonely
  • krisleve7707
    krisleve7707 Posts: 18 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I run in the early morning hours too. Right now I carry a knife and pepper spray. I do have my license to carry and currently looking for a small hand gun to carry with me instead. Cant be too careful these days. Where I'm from I'm more worried about animals like coyotes than I am of people.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A guy jumped out at me, and I ran away while running 20 years ago. I heard a scuffle in the leaves that warned me. Lessons learned? Avoid areas with wooded lots between houses. Listen while you run. Leave a margin of space around yourself so you will see anyone coming toward you. Carry mace. Now I never run at dusk or in the dark, I’m too scared. I also only run in open places that are well travelled with lots of cars. It does happen, I never thought it would tho. I was lucky and was completely unharmed except psychologically.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you wonder about specific trails or neighborhoods, you can even go to the closest police station, and ask. (You may be told paternalistic generalities, but it's worth a try.)

My city publishes all incidents online on a map. In the last 6 months, there has been 600+ assaults. 50% happen Friday or Saturday night between 11 and 3 am. 30%+ happen domestically. The rest are crime related (drugs and prostitution). There has been about three dozen indecent exposure. Zero sexual assaults. And I live in one of the least safe cities in Massachusetts.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure "Looking good" is a good thing to say to a lone runner who may feel nervous.

A shout of "Evening passing on your left" (or right) I would prefer.

yeah - just a friendly sounding 'morning' would be better.

I was once walking home very late (and somewhat inebriated) with a guy behind me. He kept trying to reassure me that he was just walking home the same direction, telling me that he was crossing the road to not worry me. I found that worse than him just being there. Then, he stopped at the end of a street, and invited me back to his. Seriously.

I run alone, in the dark, in the mornings. Often I don’t even bother having any lights, hi vis, or phone. I go by the assumption that all the bad guys are still in bed (there are some statistics that show mornings are actually safer). I see very few people. I see the occasional fellow runner, a few dog walkers, an elderly gentleman on his daily walk, and the odd homeless guy or a few drunks. None of them are interested in me.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The more I learned about martial arts, the clearer it became in my mind that a physical conflict with someone larger and stronger was really, really a bad idea, with bad odds for me. (My late husband was a martial arts teacher, and I practiced moderately seriously, mostly with men, for around 8 years.)

I'm just quoting this because it's such an important sentiment. Something I've come across time and time again with those who are very well practiced in different martial arts, is not that they can handle themselves, but more that they do not allow themselves to get into a position that that could happen. I think that there is an understanding once you've practiced martial arts for some time that you realise how random everything is, how all it takes is one person to do something you weren't expecting and everything you thought you knew goes out the window.

I've known many people who were once angry and aggressive people, those who were the first to get into a fight or lose their temper, become some of the calmest people in the world after taking up martial arts.

I think no one (of either sex) should carry a weapon unless they practice with it, including practice against a friendly but firm/committed opponent if it's a close-quarters weapon like a knife or keys (use a soft/safe thing as a substitute weapon). If you're not willing to kill someone, don't carry a deadly weapon . . . not because you'll feel bad if you kill someone (you likely would; I know I would), but because if you're not that committed, it's going to be futile and probably dangerous to you.

Also this^^^ 100%

The best piece of self defense advise that I've ever heard was: "don't fight, run" Because at the end of the day, nobody can stab you if they're not next to you.