Replies

• carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    27 miles, London marathon
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've done a marathon, but I'm a dedicated cyclist now and no longer running regularly. I could probably still do a 10k, though.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    A lot of good running going on here.

Forgot to mention that when i did that 10 mile run in the army, that was back in the 1980's, and i was in my early 30's.

I'm 61 now, and when i started running about a year ago, i could only run for about 30 seconds without stopping. It took me almost a year to get to 5 miles at a snail's pace. In fact i think a snail passed me one time at the park... :)

But in my defense, it looked like a really fast snail.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I've run 4 marathons so far. My longest run was 26.59 miles (lots of weaving around slower runners and run/walkers). I'd like to move on to ultras, but I fall enough on flat trails, I'd probably kill myself trying to run a real mountain trail.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    13.79 miles, in either a poorly measured half marathon or a race where Runkeeper was really inaccurate.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    26.2 is it. I'm prone to leg injuries when my run volume gets high, so this year I used a run/walk approach during training builds as well as on IM race day. No more open marathons for me.

I have a few friends who do some crazy trail runs up to 205 miles (The Tahoe 200!), but that's way beyond my interest and physical abilities.

That's what I worry about. At one point a few months ago I was still thinking that a marathon was a "bucket list" thing I wanted to do. Then I considered the risk of an overuse injury. I made a personal choice to not push that hard. I'm running to be fit. I don't want to get sidelined by an injury. I know I can sustain the training volume I have now. So I changed my goal to a 1/2 marathon. I can do that, enjoy it, and hopefully avoid injury.

You're smarter than I was, lol. I found that 5 runs/week at marathon volume was very tough on my legs as the long run distances increased. Even with a bike day and a rest day each week, I struggled to stay healthy when marathon training. It became a job I didn't enjoy.

In contrast, I enjoyed doing the run volume during an Ironman build, since I only ran 3 days/week and cross trained more on the bike and swimming. My weekly long runs were roughly the same distance, but I wasn't run training two days in a row, except for transition runs off the bike. Of course, my marathon run during the Ironman race was at a slower pace, but that's part of the game.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    26.2 miles (or a little more since I didn't hit the tangents perfectly).

Looks like I may be running 100k next December. Not sure how I feel about that. :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    What is the furthest distance you have ever run without stopping?

What is the longest distance you have ever run?

The longest I've run without stopping isn't every long. Maybe only 5 km.

The longest distance I've run is 10 km -- two events and two training runs.

I'm trying to train for a half marathon.

Oh ... I only started running a year ago at the age of 50. :) But I'm a long distance cyclist.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    10k road, 7.5 miles treadmill.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    13.1 miles (half marathon). Ran without stopping for 2hrs 25mins.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have done a couple of half marathon runs and one trail HM which I found much harder. I will never do a trail run again until I get contacts or glasses without bifocals because the ground is very blurry. I had my sights on doing a full marathon this year but I popped something in my ankle in a low speed fall so that ended skiing for the season. I also ended running for months. I am getting back into it and just this morning ran 6 miles with no fatigue. I have switched to LCHF and have become fat adapted. I am looking forward to testing this WOE on a HM and if all goes well commit to a full marathon. I doubt I have an ultra in my future.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

Forgot to mention that when i did that 10 mile run in the army, that was back in the 1980's, and i was in my early 30's.

I'm 61 now, and when i started running about a year ago, i could only run for about 30 seconds without stopping. It took me almost a year to get to 5 miles at a snail's pace. In fact i think a snail passed me one time at the park... :)

I bet that army run wasn't in fancy lightweight running shoes with lightweight moisture wicking clothing either.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Depends from whom or what....
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

I bet that army run wasn't in fancy lightweight running shoes with lightweight moisture wicking clothing either.

we wore gym shorts and running shoes for PT.

But one day we had a 10k forced road march in full combat gear, with a 70 lb. pack and weapon. I ran the whole way at a walking pace to set the example for my squad, and it gave them no excuse to fall behind even a little. :)
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far the person chasing me can run!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    A half-marathon that helped me learn I don't like running that much distance...

Maybe you should try lifting instead......

:)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    A half-marathon that helped me learn I don't like running that much distance...

Maybe you should try lifting instead......

:)

Ya think?!? But I might get all bulky. Ew. :laugh: