FIRST WEEK FAILURE

Options
2»

Replies

• luvnalaska5078
    luvnalaska5078 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First of all, love who you ARE, inside, not the numbers reflected on a scale. Life is short and people who love you see you as more than a weight and size. (Something I didn’t learn into well into my 40’s). Self acceptance is a wonderful thing.
    Second, be patient and kind to yourself. It takes time to unlearn bad habits and learn how to organize those daily calories into meals you can manage. I find focusing more on how I am doing a good thing for my body and being positive makes me more successful than fretting and focusing on my hunger near the end of the day and a stuck scale.
    Water...lots of water...helps to feel full, too.

I find logging every single calorie and limiting the calories per meal helps me stay on track. Try and do some exercise everyday. Even if just 15 min dancing around the house. And definitely don’t feel defeated because only when you give up are you ever defeated.
    You can do this! If we survived motherhood and teenage years, we can do anything! 😊

• kristinstephenson86
    Options
    How much have you been exceeding your goal by? If you're set to lose 1 lb a week, you have a 500 calorie cushion between your goal and maintenance. That is, you wouldn't be in danger of gaining weight unless you were averaging more than 500 cals above your goal.

I was anywhere between 500 or 1000 over that was with exercise. I have slowly been doing better though. I have been eating healthier foods and reducing my intake. I didn't log at all last week :( I just felt depressed. But I am back at it again.
  • kristinstephenson86
    Options
    @kristinstephenson86 are you power walking those 45-50 or strolling? Each time you feel to indulge when you have already set your meal plan drink water. You need to join a gym and interact with people that are apart of Zumba classes, spinning, strength and conditioning etc... “a drowning man will catch at a straw to prevent himself from drowning” with that said you must do the most go out of your comfort zone get back your sexy body

Thanks for asking. It has been slow since I first started walking a year ago. It's been hard for me, because I used to be an athlete :( But I would say its a moderate pace 3.0-3.5. I work a professional job, and I don't have time to change my clothes. So I don't go too crazy. But it usually is marked as 3.0-3.5 mph on my step counter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much have you been exceeding your goal by? If you're set to lose 1 lb a week, you have a 500 calorie cushion between your goal and maintenance. That is, you wouldn't be in danger of gaining weight unless you were averaging more than 500 cals above your goal.

I was anywhere between 500 or 1000 over that was with exercise. I have slowly been doing better though. I have been eating healthier foods and reducing my intake. I didn't log at all last week :( I just felt depressed. But I am back at it again.

Are you getting treatment for the depression?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure. You have asked for advice, asked others what they have done that helped them. You are taking all this information in, and filtering it, so you can find what will work for you. It is tough being gentle on ourselves.
    For quite awhile, I would say I was not on a low carb diet. Reason was I had no clue what that really meant. I knew that KETO was not going to be my thing after looking into it. But I average 55-60 net grams of carbs per day. I assumed (incorrectly) that was average. Even with being a diabetic for 18 years I still did not really get it. What I learned is anything under 150 grams of Carbs per day is considered low carb. You may find you can be in that neighborhood, but not be real low. (Very eye opening to read the average American eats 350-400 carbs per day).

I know you can do this, good luck.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry all the time try getting your carbs to 30-50% of calories and getting your protein up to about 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. Also, focus your diet on 80% whole foods like lean meats, veggies, fruits, potatoes, whole grains etc.
  • kristinstephenson86
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    If you are hungry all the time try getting your carbs to 30-50% of calories and getting your protein up to about 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. Also, focus your diet on 80% whole foods like lean meats, veggies, fruits, potatoes, whole grains etc.

Thank you for the advice! I am trying that- it is a very little amount of food I'm allowed to eat since I have a desk job :(
    You are not a failure. You have asked for advice, asked others what they have done that helped them. You are taking all this information in, and filtering it, so you can find what will work for you. It is tough being gentle on ourselves.
    For quite awhile, I would say I was not on a low carb diet. Reason was I had no clue what that really meant. I knew that KETO was not going to be my thing after looking into it. But I average 55-60 net grams of carbs per day. I assumed (incorrectly) that was average. Even with being a diabetic for 18 years I still did not really get it. What I learned is anything under 150 grams of Carbs per day is considered low carb. You may find you can be in that neighborhood, but not be real low. (Very eye opening to read the average American eats 350-400 carbs per day).

I know you can do this, good luck.

Thank you so much!!

Are you getting treatment for the depression?

I have been in and out of therapy for years. I am not currently in treatment. Thank you all for your support. It seems impossible. I want to feel good again. I have always been "attractive" and treated as such. And now that I have gained weight I feel like I have lost some of my identity. I know it is shallow, but I basically feel like a piece of trash now. I know thats not ok! I am working on that, but I do want it to motivate me to lose.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    ...it is a very little amount of food I'm allowed to eat since I have a desk job

suggestion: look into calorie dense foods that take up little physical space at your workstation, but, will serve to satisfy the need for some fuel between meals.

Nuts are an example of a calorie dense food - just be sure to measure them so you don't overeat and undo your efforts.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    ...it is a very little amount of food I'm allowed to eat since I have a desk job

suggestion: look into calorie dense foods that take up little physical space at your workstation, but, will serve to satisfy the need for some fuel between meals.

Nuts are an example of a calorie dense food - just be sure to measure them so you don't overeat and undo your efforts.

I think she means that her calorie goal is low because she’s sedentary (working a desk job).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I don't have PCOS but I have a low thyroid and chronic fatigue so can't do major exercise cause I get sick. My maintenance calories are about 1400. That means for the rest of my life that's all I can eat to maintain my loss. The alternative is not an option. Some of the things that helped me were finding things I could eat that gave me more satisfaction and realizing how much I was overeating in the past. I never liked veggies so I didn't eat them. I have since learned that they can be tasty if prepared correctly and because of the fiber they tend to make me feel full longer. Steamed broccoli with a teaspoon of butter and salt and pepper is one of my favorites. So easy to prepare and keeps me full a long time. I combine that with 4 ounces of lean meat and a small serving of starch and I'm happy. For snacks I like popcorn. I eat alot more fresh fruit than I used to and I bring my lunch to work every day. Sometimes it's just a lean cuisine but the best choice I've found is a homemade lower calorie soup. I make a huge pot and freeze servings to grab and go. Once you see a decent drop you will be more motivated to continue. For me that was how it worked anyway. I am 62 years old and had dieted my whole life ultimately topping the scales at 251 pounds. It took me 2 years to get to a healthy weight but it was well worth it. Don't give up. Take your time. You want this to be a permanent change so if it take a little longer it's worth it.
  • kristinstephenson86
    Options
    I feel your pain. I don't have PCOS but I have a low thyroid and chronic fatigue so can't do major exercise cause I get sick. My maintenance calories are about 1400. That means for the rest of my life that's all I can eat to maintain my loss. The alternative is not an option. Some of the things that helped me were finding things I could eat that gave me more satisfaction and realizing how much I was overeating in the past. I never liked veggies so I didn't eat them. I have since learned that they can be tasty if prepared correctly and because of the fiber they tend to make me feel full longer. Steamed broccoli with a teaspoon of butter and salt and pepper is one of my favorites. So easy to prepare and keeps me full a long time. I combine that with 4 ounces of lean meat and a small serving of starch and I'm happy. For snacks I like popcorn. I eat alot more fresh fruit than I used to and I bring my lunch to work every day. Sometimes it's just a lean cuisine but the best choice I've found is a homemade lower calorie soup. I make a huge pot and freeze servings to grab and go. Once you see a decent drop you will be more motivated to continue. For me that was how it worked anyway. I am 62 years old and had dieted my whole life ultimately topping the scales at 251 pounds. It took me 2 years to get to a healthy weight but it was well worth it. Don't give up. Take your time. You want this to be a permanent change so if it take a little longer it's worth it.

tHANK YOU! I have tracked 4 days in a row now. Back at it! Thanks for all your support!! Hopefully I make it! Chewing gum helps too.