Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    12/4/2018

Start: 3:50 pm
    Finish: 5:05 pm
    Elapsed time: 1 hour 15 minutes.

So, one meal and no snacks. Didn’t plan this, busy today and no workout. Tomorrow’s window will be longer.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    It’s obvious some here have no interest about one person’s IF feeding window but there are others here curious. Tis the nature of discussion forums. Snide posts noted and ignored.

ESP considering there is nothing directly special or advantageous with IF...

I don't get why they need to post their eating window for all to see. I could understand maybe putting how you're doing with your IF, but don't really get the point of posting your eating window everyday.

I don't really do IF, but I have found that trying to push back my first meal/snack to at least 11 (mostly for days I work 7-4) or anywhere from 11-1 (when I take my first break other days) helps me not want to binge from eating way too early in the morning.

Now on my days off I'll usually eat my first snack (usually a protein bar) anywhere from 9-11 in the morning whenever I get hungry.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There is a small but supportive OMAD (one meal a day) MFP group that you may want to check out. An IF group too. They may have advice and better support for you.

I do IF because I like how it makes me feel and it may help with some of my health issues. My feeding window is generally not smaller than 4 hours just because I don't enjoy eating that much at once - I am at maintenance and not trying to create a calorie deficit anymore.

Good luck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    To say there is nothing special about IF or that it is no different than calorie restriction is not at face value correct. From what I have read generally speaking there are different ways of doing IF. There is a shortened feeding time window which may mean missing a meal or fitting three meals into a narrow window. Kind of like when a typical eating pattern was three squares with no snacks in between. Then there is IF that moves all feeding into one meal or a 24 hour fast. Lastly there is longer fasts that can go from one to several days. All of these will have some effect on insulin levels and longer fasts can also help reset your insulin level for those who are insulin resistant. It also does not seem to cause a drop metabolizm that caloric restriction does over time. Some of this is hypothesis so there may much to learn about IF. It is another WOE that can be explored if one desires. IF to may offer benefits beyond what I have mentioned here and has seen some success in treating obesity patients.

Unfortunately part of this is pay-windowed, but the author has a bunch of stuff on IF and has followed all the studies, I recommend:

http://caloriesproper.com/intermittent-fasting-is-homeopathy-level-nothingsauce/

(He believes that there may be something to resetting the circadian clock, so morning focused calories can be helpful (I'm skeptical), but that the idea that a small feeding window is better for you (unless it causes you to restrict calories) is totally unsupported and can be actually problematic.)

Read or not, whatever.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    If you assume the only purpose of IF is to regulate weight then that is all you will ever see.

Is that to me? That's not at all the limit of what the blogger I linked to (who has "a Ph.D. in Nutritional Biochemistry and Physiology with a focus on obesity, insulin resistance, and circadian biology" and who discusses specific studies and explains why he thinks what he does) is talking about. He's written quite a bit about the various studies and his views.

I don't agree with everything he says -- one reason I read him and linked him is that he challenges my views on some things, like nutrition timing and keto -- but I think he's got interesting and worthwhile things to say. And the claim that IF in and of itself is better for health or does this major things is not supported.