Losing weight but keeping/building muscle and curves?

Options
Hi, I am looking to lose weight as well as keep curves but unsure of how to do so. I know only doing cardio is a bad idea but I feel like if I were to strength train and do cardio I either wouldn't lose as much or as quick or build muscle under fat which I don't want at all as it won't be visible. I am also unsure of what to do in terms of food, as building muscle requires caloric surplus while losing weight requires a deficit. Is it possible to do both? Should I only do cardio somedays and strength training others, or do them both in the same day, or wait til I lose weight and then work on building muscle? And for how long and how often should I do cardio/strength training? Please help me figure out how a diet and exercise plan for this goal. Thank you so much

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your stats?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For some people strength training can cause major water retention, especially in the beginning which can cause the scale to stall. Typically muscle building in a deficit, if it does occur, is not enough to out-weigh fat loss. Even if you do gain muscle during weight loss, that is fantastic.. don't worry about it being hidden once you lose fat your muscles will eventually show if you do things correctly.

I would definitely consider lifting in a deficit, as it will help you retain the muscle you have and change your body composition as you get to goal. I would recommend following a program though.

How much weight do you have to lose, are you close to goal? You could consider recomp (losing fat and gaining muscle over time) if you are in a healthy weight range but just want to improve your body composition.
  • Nicomaro
    Nicomaro Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    what are your stats?
    I am 170 lbs, 5'5"
  • Nicomaro
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For some people strength training can cause major water retention, especially in the beginning which can cause the scale to stall. Typically muscle building in a deficit, if it does occur, is not enough to out-weigh fat loss. Even if you do gain muscle during weight loss, that is fantastic.. don't worry about it being hidden once you lose fat your muscles will eventually show if you do things correctly.

I would definitely consider lifting in a deficit, as it will help you retain the muscle you have and change your body composition as you get to goal. I would recommend following a program though.

How much weight do you have to lose, are you close to goal? You could consider recomp (losing fat and gaining muscle over time) if you are in a healthy weight range but just want to improve your body composition.
    Really? I heard the opposite, that eating in a deficit will make me lose both fat and muscle. I am 170 lbs and 5'5", not sure what is a healthy weight for me but I want to be at least 130 lbs
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Staying in a deficit will lose fat and muscle UNLESS you excercise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Nicomaro wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Really? I heard the opposite, that eating in a deficit will make me lose both fat and muscle. I am 170 lbs and 5'5", not sure what is a healthy weight for me but I want to be at least 130 lbs

You can help prevent muscle loss with progessive resistance training.
  • Nicomaro
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Does it matter which kind I do to lose weight and keep muscle at the same time?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nicomaro wrote: »
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Does it matter which kind I do to lose weight and keep muscle at the same time?

Yes it matters. You should strength train 3x week to keept muscle. It’s ok to also do cardio on other days, depending on how much you want to exercise.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Look at sardelsa. Her avi is a picture of her actual self (there are others on her profile you can see if you're using web MFP - you can see her progress). Think about it. Maybe you'd want to listen to her, and others reinforcing what she's telling you?...
    ^ I'd second that advice (and the rest of @AnnPT77 's post, which I snipped for brevity). @Sardelsa knows what she's talking about and has the results to prove it.