Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hi fellow IF-ers,

I have hit a plateau for awhile so I am trying intermittent fasting again (goal is weight loss).

Similar to keto, is there a "way/method/check" to determine if your body is hitting the "fasting weight loss" stage (i.e. on keto you can use the strips to see if body is in ketosis).

I'm hoping to get near my goal by new years...it's such a struggle.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Re starvation mode. I don't recall if he named that but Ancel Keys did the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. 36 men were feed about 1500 calories a day which was called Semi-starvation. Their metabolism dropped, they had some mental illness and felt very cold even in the summer. So is this the same as Starvation Mode or is it a myth? I have seen the study and I keep seeing that "starvation mode is a myth". So I am confused by this apparent conflict.
  • rsclause
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    When your body goes into ketosis because you haven't eaten for 16+ hours (IF) your insulin levels will drop, insulin tells your body to use carb calories, in absence of high insulin your body will start using fat cells for energy. So in theory you would use the calories at the same rate the only difference is what kind of energy you use. This is also very dependent on the persons body I know people that can use fat cells really quickly and vice versa.
    1) That's not how it works: https://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

2) Substrate utilization is irrelevant to fat loss.

Also if your in a calorie deficiency your body might go into starvation mode and start using muscle cells for energy so I think IF worth it just to avoid the starvation mode.
    1) A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight/fat.

2) "Starvation mode" is a myth: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

In the context of the OP, there is no such thing as a "fasting weight loss stage" which is specifically brought about by IF, so there's no way to check for it since it doesn't exist.

And you don't go into ketosis in 16 hours.

I suppose if you were very low carb for a while you possibly could but I agree. When I shut down carbs I hadn't even started feeling bad yet at 16 hours.
  • rsclause
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    Re starvation mode. I don't recall if he named that but Ancel Keys did the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. 36 men were feed about 1500 calories a day which was called Semi-starvation. Their metabolism dropped, they had some mental illness and felt very cold even in the summer. So is this the same as Starvation Mode or is it a myth? I have seen the study and I keep seeing that "starvation mode is a myth". So I am confused by this apparent conflict.

There is a myth that if you eat too low (often just a tiny bit too low), your body "holds onto fat and won't lose any weight." Sometimes it is even claimed that you might lose weight as a result. That's a myth. It's also very often understood as what "starvation mode" is, and is commonly referenced by people who believe this happens on MFP (typically newbies).

It is true that "metabolic adaptation" happens, which means your metabolism will tend to drop as you get underweight or with a big deficit after time passes or even with a smaller deficit over a longer period of time (especially if you don't have much fat to lose). People vary in how prone they are to this, but the main point is that it doesn't cause weight gain or even weight loss to stop while one is at a deficit. Some might call this starvation mode, but usually it refers to the mythical idea discussed in my first paragraph.

Thanks, this^^ is what my understanding is but I was finding it difficult to research a myth.