Intermittent Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with trying IF to see if it gets you back on track if stalled or if you just feel like checking it out. What's the worst that can happen? If it helps it it helps and if it doesn't it doesn't. I guess I just don't get the logic of "you know you can do the same thing by limiting calories". I don't think we are all cut out to do the same WOE or weight loss plan. I do draw the line at any plans that require a buy in or a weight loss pill.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't see anyone saying that others should not try IF to see if they like it or find it helpful.

I just see people clarifying that there's no need to do it if you DON'T like it or find it helpful, and also clarifying that you don't need to fast for a certain period of time for it to start working, since you lose weight the same way everyone does, through a calorie deficit.

I strongly agree that on the individual level eating schedules can be extremely helpful. I find mine to be, even though it wouldn't qualify as IF. Many people who don't call it IF similarly would say they find it extremely helpful to go with their bodies' natural preferences and skip breakfast.

So much this.

I used to IF until very recently when it suddenly stopped working for me. Like a PP, I started getting hungry earlier in the day (usually around 3 or so hours after waking, but I get up very early) than I had been previously. Trying to ignore it didn't work and only led to migraines.

Since IF'ing had helped me regulate my intake and appetite throughout the day, I had to turn to something else to do the same.

I now find that an eating schedule works perfectly for me.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I also IF I usually eat between 10am-3/4pmish.

It allows me to have larger calorie meals as I'm not hungry in the morning. It also seems to help curb my night snacking and I don't know why - either its a mental thing and I don't eat after 4pm (because thats a mental cutoff) or it's the larger calorie dinner that keeps me satiated which it's probably this:)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't see anyone saying that others should not try IF to see if they like it or find it helpful.

I just see people clarifying that there's no need to do it if you DON'T like it or find it helpful, and also clarifying that you don't need to fast for a certain period of time for it to start working, since you lose weight the same way everyone does, through a calorie deficit.

I strongly agree that on the individual level eating schedules can be extremely helpful. I find mine to be, even though it wouldn't qualify as IF. Many people who don't call it IF similarly would say they find it extremely helpful to go with their bodies' natural preferences and skip breakfast.

So much this.

I used to IF until very recently when it suddenly stopped working for me. Like a PP, I started getting hungry earlier in the day (usually around 3 or so hours after waking, but I get up very early) than I had been previously. Trying to ignore it didn't work and only led to migraines.

Since IF'ing had helped me regulate my intake and appetite throughout the day, I had to turn to something else to do the same.

I now find that an eating schedule works perfectly for me.

16:8 works for me because I'm generally not terribly hungry in the morning, and if I eat an early breakfast it sets the hunger signals in motion, making it harder to meet my calorie goals throughout the day. I also like having lots of calories for a big dinner and ice cream for dessert afterward. With that said, I treat it as a general rule, not a religion - if for some reason I'm hungry outside that 8 hour window, or circumstances dictate that I eat at a different time, I eat. I've done it that way for years and don't see any magical effects other than the fact that it helps me stick to my calorie goals. I never thought it was a particularly big thing until it became the latest fad and everybody started jumping on the bandwagon extolling all these miraculous health virtues that I never knew existed and have never experienced myself through years of doing it.

I think it can be a useful tool for some people (if your eating patterns fit it well), and an unnecessary hindrance which makes adherence more difficult for others.

It was weird. I used to get up at 4:30 and not be hungry until some time around noon-2:00 or so. And then that changed suddenly. Now I get hungry around 7:30 - 9:00.

Eating that first bite still does turn on my appetite switch for the day, which was one good thing about rolling with not eating until I was hungry later in the first place. Anyway, the thing I've found helpful is having a schedule with a rough sketch of calories allotted to each eating time, because I know the next time food is coming and can just put off that annoying munch monster knowing I'm still on track and everything's fine and food will eventually be coming.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

It was weird. I used to get up at 4:30 and not be hungry until some time around noon-2:00 or so. And then that changed suddenly. Now I get hungry around 7:30 - 9:00.

Eating that first bite still does turn on my appetite switch for the day, which was one good thing about rolling with not eating until I was hungry later in the first place. Anyway, the thing I've found helpful is having a schedule with a rough sketch of calories allotted to each eating time, because I know the next time food is coming and can just put off that annoying munch monster knowing I'm still on track and everything's fine and food will eventually be coming.

This is sorta what I do. I'm not usually hungry until 10am ish and then I schedule 3/4pm dinner and for whatever reason having that scheduled and approx amount of calories I'll spend on eating seems to keep my mental apitite controlled if you will. I do know that focusing a bit on what keeps me satiated helps but I'm talking about that mental/bored/emotional whatever one wants to call it eating, that just seems to be under control with a schedule.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    teebsters wrote: »
    Thanks everyone; yes I understand I need to be consuming at a calorie deficit, which I am doing.

I guess I assumed your body would change its fat burning process, similar to ketosis.

Thanks for clearing that up.

If you aren't losing weight, than you aren't in a deficit. Are you logging food? Are you using a food scale? How long have you been plateaued?