Does honey have to be raw to be healthy?

mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
edited December 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I've always heard of the benefits of honey. But does as that mean any honey or just raw honey?.

If it just means raw honey I'll likely skip honey all together. Raw honey makes my throat itch and I can't stop coughing when I have it. It's not healthy for me.

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    The only medical benefit for honey is soothing sore throats.

Other considerations: it is sweeter than white sugar, so you can use less. If are you are careful to buy from a local producer, you can support a small business, something that's harder to do with white sugar. (Though if you buy a major honey brand, it's probably imported.)

The whole "local honey to fight seasonal allergies" thing isn't true. In fact it can trigger allergies.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    I've always heard of the benefits of honey. But does as that mean any honey or just raw honey?.

If it just means raw honey I'll likely skip honey all together. Raw honey makes my throat itch and I can't stop coughing when I have it. It's not healthy for me.

Peanuts are not healthy for people who go into anaphylactic shock after eating them. Ditto for honey. If it makes your throat itch, that's a good indicator you shouldn't eat it! You might want to talk to your doctor about an allergist referral or an EpiPen. Allergic reactions can escalate quickly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Honey, whether raw or otherwise, is not inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy". Like any other food, it depends upon its context and dosage within your overall diet.
  • mtdb8
    mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    I have heard that eating local honey can help desensitize certain allergies. The idea is the honey is made from the same local pollen that you are allergic to. I have no idea if it is true or myth but I know some people that swear by it.

That's actually a myth. It might work if it doesn't land you in the hospital or flat out kill you, but for real desensitization, you need shots by a doctor. Trying to do it yourself is a guaranteed way to ruin your health. It's the same as 'trying' just a tiny bit of peanut butter if you're allergic to peanuts.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think you are allergic to honey. This is very dangerous for you and I suggest you avoid it altogether. I suspect you have a pollen allergy and it might be worthwhile to go for testing to find out what you are allergic to.

As for the relative benefits of all the sweeteners, they all have the same effect on the body. Because of your allergy I suggest you sweeten with table sugar if you need the calories or an artificial sweetener if you don’t.

Agree 100%. Just wanted to add that there are nice sweeteners out there that will add a little flavor if that is why you are using the honey. I love maple syrup (the real stuff, not pancake syrup) and use demerara sugar in my tea because it still has a tiny amount of the molasses in it that gives my tea a good flavor.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,029 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I think you are allergic to honey. This is very dangerous for you and I suggest you avoid it altogether. I suspect you have a pollen allergy and it might be worthwhile to go for testing to find out what you are allergic to.

As for the relative benefits of all the sweeteners, they all have the same effect on the body. Because of your allergy I suggest you sweeten with table sugar if you need the calories or an artificial sweetener if you don’t.

Agree 100%. Just wanted to add that there are nice sweeteners out there that will add a little flavor if that is why you are using the honey. I love maple syrup (the real stuff, not pancake syrup) and use demerara sugar in my tea because it still has a tiny amount of the molasses in it that gives my tea a good flavor.

And I'm loving blackstrap molasses in my oatmeal these days: So delicious, and meaningful amounts of iron and potassium, besides. (I'm finding brand matters, though: Some just taste like burnt stuff, but the good ones have a rich/complicated flavor.)
  • earlnabby
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

And I'm loving blackstrap molasses in my oatmeal these days: So delicious, and meaningful amounts of iron and potassium, besides. (I'm finding brand matters, though: Some just taste like burnt stuff, but the good ones have a rich/complicated flavor.)

Have you ever used sorghum? I generally use it in any recipe that calls for molasses
  • earlnabby
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    I have heard that eating local honey can help desensitize certain allergies. The idea is the honey is made from the same local pollen that you are allergic to. I have no idea if it is true or myth but I know some people that swear by it.

That's actually a myth. It might work if it doesn't land you in the hospital or flat out kill you, but for real desensitization, you need shots by a doctor. Trying to do it yourself is a guaranteed way to ruin your health. It's the same as 'trying' just a tiny bit of peanut butter if you're allergic to peanuts.

I am not talking about a serious allergy like me getting stung by a bee, it takes me a week to finish swelling. I wouldn't go get stung to desensitize my allergy. I am talking about getting a runny nose when a plant blooms. If a desensitization via doctors shots work I see no reason the bee honey from local pollen wouldn't work too. That is just speculation on my part but if someone wants to try it I see no risk other than running out of tissues.

Considering that allergy response can increase in intensity with each exposure and can be unpredictable, I can see plenty of potential harm in following your suggestion.

Exactly. My formaldehyde allergy used to just mean mild itching. I discovered just how intense it became 2 years ago when my favorite previously formaldehyde free nail polish added it back in (in resin form which is supposed to be safer) and I broke out in huge hives all over my face, neck, and upper chest. No breathing difficulties but that could be next time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,029 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Have you ever used sorghum? I generally use it in any recipe that calls for molasses

Not yet. I may look into it, on your recommendation . . . but I love molasses so, soo much! (And maple syrup.) I don't use lots of either, though, so even the bottle of molasses lasts a long time at 20-grams-ish a day. ;)