What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    When I could eat gluten I loved Shoo Fly Pie!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Most traditional breakfast foods (bacon, sausage, hash browns, gravy, biscuits, bagels, donuts, kid's cereals etc.) poorly fuel you for the day.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    I hate the smell of popcorn.

It smells of farts in cinemas
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I like the sugar crust on the coffee shop muffins as a confection but can do without the rest of it. As far as muffins that are reasonable to eat go, I like the simple Martha White apple cinnamon muffins; the envelope you add a half cup of milk to. Most people try too hard with muffins for my taste (other than the melted sugar crust :smiley: ).

See to me, that's not a muffin. That's... cake or something. A muffin (back when I still could have gluten) was a simple thing I made with butter and buttermilk and flour and a very small amount of sugar and was tasty in its simplicity. It was a vehicle for good jam or jelly. Strawberry or blackberry preferably.

That sounds like a biscuit.

That's what I was going to say.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    I much prefer the middle to the edge when it comes to cornbread, brownies, cakes, etc. Now that I'm an adult I can cut straight to the middle and not get in trouble, although many people still give me the stink eye.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    I obviously was forgetting a lot of things with molasses when I made my earlier comment...

Don't they use molasses to make brown sugar?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I couldn't quote for some reason, but I also liked the Starbucks juniper latte. I have had it twice and the first time I was not into the citrus sugar on top. Without that, and with nonfat milk, I found it pretty lovely. It reminded me of lavender lattes I've had from an independent coffee house.

I agree that a lot of people probably wouldn't like it though...not sickeningly sweet! I saw that a grande with whole milk was only 260 cal and most of the lattes and mochas run 350+ for a grande.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Most traditional breakfast foods (bacon, sausage, hash browns, gravy, biscuits, bagels, donuts, kid's cereals etc.) poorly fuel you for the day.

When I think traditional, I think eggs. If I have two eggs, a potato and bacon, I will be full until early afternoon. If I have oatmeal with fruit, I am hungry two hours later. I think it varies by person.

Speaking of breakfast, I think patty sausage is disgusting. I like my link sausage cooked until it is nearly black on the outside.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Oreos are overrated.

Completely agree although I do like the lemon thin oreos. The chocolate ones just taste like brown cardboard with sugar lard in the middle.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited December 2018

But you could say the same for skipping breakfast altogether. I think what fuels a person for the day (whatever their eating schedule) is what suits their tastes, activities and lifestyle.

eta: I generally eat a protein bar for breakfast, but I've been known to have a bacon and bagel sandwich and it's suited me just fine :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018

When I think traditional, I think eggs. If I have two eggs, a potato and bacon, I will be full until early afternoon. If I have oatmeal with fruit, I am hungry two hours later. I think it varies by person.

Speaking of breakfast, I think patty sausage is disgusting. I like my link sausage cooked until it is nearly black on the outside.

Eggs are the absolute most traditional thing to me too. I normally have a 2-egg omelet with lots of vegetables. Sometimes some fruit or avocado with it, sometimes cottage cheese, sometimes smoked salmon.

When traveling it's usually easy to find some scrambled eggs with the breakfast buffet and have some fruit with them and whatever veg happen to be around -- I was just in Jackson, MS, so hardly the health food capital of the US, and easily found eggs, fruit, some lox and cucumbers as part of the buffet option. I did have a couple of pieces of bacon too, however.

I find oats reasonably traditional and filling too, I just prefer eggs most of the time.

I've always hated cold cereal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Unpopular food opinion: Stuffing is disgusting. It doesn't matter if its stove top, or made from scratch, it tastes like salty, soggy bread. Pass. Dressing too. Then it's soggy bread with nuts in it. Also gross.

I don't think well-made stuffing is gross, but I think it's pretty much never worth the trouble/calories/forgoing other foods, and I have stopped making it for Thanksgiving dinner. If someone else wants to, great, but I am unlikely to eat any. Much rather have mashed potatoes and more of the various veg options and more turkey.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I sort of feel like not liking stuffing or dressing is a popular opinion (along with fruitcake hate) :D
  • Kuchiness
    Kuchiness Posts: 48 Member
    Pork! Makes me gag to be even in the same room.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited December 2018
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Unpopular food opinion: Stuffing is disgusting. It doesn't matter if its stove top, or made from scratch, it tastes like salty, soggy bread. Pass. Dressing too. Then it's soggy bread with nuts in it. Also gross.

I don't think well-made stuffing is gross, but I think it's pretty much never worth the trouble/calories/forgoing other foods, and I have stopped making it for Thanksgiving dinner. If someone else wants to, great, but I am unlikely to eat any. Much rather have mashed potatoes and more of the various veg options and more turkey.

Well-made stuffing is more tolerable I'll admit. The flavor is always pretty good. But I can't help think of soggy bread when I eat it. What's dumb is I LOVE bread pudding. Which is basically the same thing. Just eggy and sweet. I think it's the savory & spongey texture that puts me off. It's purely a mental thing, I'm sure. And there's more things I'd rather spend my calories on when stuffing is present. Such as more mashed potatos.
    mph323 wrote: »
    I sort of feel like not liking stuffing or dressing is a popular opinion (along with fruitcake hate) :D
    Not in my circle of family and friends. I think I'm the only one who has a strong preference about not eating it!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

Well-made stuffing is more tolerable I'll admit. The flavor is always pretty good. But I can't help think of soggy bread when I eat it. What's dumb is I LOVE bread pudding. Which is basically the same thing. Just eggy and sweet. I think it's the savory & spongey texture that puts me off. It's purely a mental thing, I'm sure. And there's more things I'd rather spend my calories on when stuffing is present. Such as more mashed potatos.
    Not in my circle of family and friends. I think I'm the only one who has a strong preference about not eating it!

I like the crispy top bits. Spread out on a half sheet pan to bake so it's basically turned into savory sausage, turkey, and sage flavored croutons and I'd be happy! :lol:
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

I like the crispy top bits. Spread out on a half sheet pan to bake so it's basically turned into savory sausage, turkey, and sage flavored croutons and I'd be happy! :lol:

I'm with you there! :lol: