What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I find avocado disgusting.

me too, and I hate sweet potato too

Are you talking about the actual "real" sweet potato from the produce department properly cooked? The canned orange sludge (which I admit to eating) is a completely different thing IMO.

I mean the things that are next to my lovely maris pipers in the super market, pretending to be a real potato but taste like crap. (didnt even know the come in a can? only ever seen fresh or frozen)

my kids all used to love it as was one of the foods I gave when weaning and even now when I make them mash I add one sweet potato in the pan and they eat the lot.

but it baffles me why people like them, same as avocados, another food I fed when weaning the kids but omg they are awful
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've discovered, in another thread, that I've got some unpopular views regarding tinned chicken, microwave rice and steam fresh veggies.

IMO, they're great. Convenience is a wonderful thing.

Others aren't as enamoured with them.

I thought canned chicken sounded terrible until I tried it. Definitely very much like canned tuna. I feel like people expect something like what Ashens tested in his video (whole canned chicken).

Props to you for mentioning Ashens! I have no idea how he manages to eat some of the scary products he gets (such as WWII-vintage rations).
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I HATE ONIONS. Absolutely hate them.

I used to hate onions, then I realized onions are in like, everything. Now I love onions. I will eat just plain roasted red onion. red onion on my pizza. etc. so good.

I love onion and mayo toasties, people think Im crazy because I dont have anything else on it
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I thought CarvedTone's point was that the hypothetical safety of non studied and approved GMO products was irrelevant, since the only ones that would come on the market would be studied and approved. Not that any possible hypothetical GMO product would inherently be safe -- that seemed like a misrepresentation of what he had said.

Am I misunderstanding, CarvedTone?

That was a point I made early. Where we got off in the weeds is in the discussion about how likely it is that any hypothetical future GMO products would be unsafe. We aren't absolutely sure they would all be safe, only almost absolutely sure. IMO, it's far more likely that people will eat unsafe food because of contaminants like pesticides because the crops aren't as resistant as GMO variants or get less nutrition or go hungry due to lower yields and/or failed crops due to drought.

My concern is that the backlash could actually have a negative effect or at least stand in the way of some positive ones. You would think they would be in the lab working on creating Romaine lettuce that retards or prevents the growth of e coli. They probably aren't only because it would not sell.

I only want to answer your question, not re-open the discussion. The other poster who disagreed with me seems to believe that we can't assume that the chance of something being unsafe and making it to market is as insignificant as I think or at least that is the impression I got. I infer that the poster believes more lives would be lost due to those hypothetical safety problems than would be saved by properly feeding more people from less land using existing GMO strains with an eye toward creating more.

There appears to be near zero chance that either of us will change our minds, so we had just agreed to drop the debate. The other poster may come back and clarify their position if I misstated it above, but it is pointless for us to continue the back and forth.

Not wanting to reopen the discussion either, but just correcting your incorrect inference about my position. I am not saying that there shouldn't be GMO products brought to market, so I am not suggesting any kind of utilitarian weighing of one product against another. Each product should stand on its own.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've discovered, in another thread, that I've got some unpopular views regarding tinned chicken, microwave rice and steam fresh veggies.

IMO, they're great. Convenience is a wonderful thing.

Others aren't as enamoured with them.

I thought canned chicken sounded terrible until I tried it. Definitely very much like canned tuna. I feel like people expect something like what Ashens tested in his video (whole canned chicken).

Props to you for mentioning Ashens! I have no idea how he manages to eat some of the scary products he gets (such as WWII-vintage rations).

I love seeing Ashens mentioned here!! That is all.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    "Cauliflower rice" is the least pleasurable way to eat cauliflower. I totally don't see the point. (But I can take or leave rice, so don't need a sub - maybe that's the problem.)

I had cauliflower "rice" for the first time last night with stir fry. My husband thinks he's going to go Keto (if you knew my husband, you'd understand why I said that) so he thought he'd try cauliflower rice instead of our usual Jasmine. He really liked it. I didn't hate it, but it definitely is no true substitute for the real thing.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I really like cauliflower rice. I don’t use it as a substitute for rice, but as a tasty veggie dish. I like to sauté it in a little olive oil, adding onion powder, pepper, and pecorino romano cheese.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I really like cauliflower rice. I don’t use it as a substitute for rice, but as a tasty veggie dish. I like to sauté it in a little olive oil, adding onion powder, pepper, and pecorino romano cheese.

I tend to like my vegetables cut into larger pieces, not sure why, but the tiny size of cauliflower rice is for me a bug, not a feature.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    if you bake true name brand Pop Tarts just a few minutes in toaster oven instead of toasting, they are actually really good. It's like the pastry isn't quite done and toasting really doesn't finish it the best. I bake at ~375 for ~5 minutes. It varies and toaster ovens can be wildly inconsistent, or at least our current one is.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I tend to like my vegetables cut into larger pieces, not sure why, but the tiny size of cauliflower rice is for me a bug, not a feature.
    I’m the opposite-I like a lot of foods diced up. Not sure why either:). lol

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Haggis is food of the gods

@MaryContrary1972
    My goodness I love haggis!!

I lived in Edinburgh a while back and there was a place on the Royal Mile that had the best haggis, neeps and tatties!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    Variety is not that important. A caveat to that is that I have to make sure to get more veggies in there sometimes. I can make a batch of really tasty marinated chicken breasts and enjoy them for lunch for a full work week. I often go weeks eating the same breakfast of PB2 in yogurt. My favorite protein bar is Pure Protein Salted Caramel - why should I buy others? Actually, I do buy some 30g bars also; I just bought a pack of 15, all the same flavor - chocolate brownie.

I do try and enjoy a wide variety of things, but the idea of not repeating meals very often doesn't make sense to me.

I completely agree with this. I essentially eat the same breakfast every day of my life and it is usually the meal I look forward to the most each day.

My 6', 170lb husband who has never had to consider watching what he eats in his life, eats dry cheerios for breakfast 95% of the time(as in every weekday and most weekend days unless someone makes pancakes or waffles). He also eats a banana and a bag of baby carrots with lunch everyday, which is 4 slices of wheat bread, 2 sad slices of ham and two of the ultra thin cheddar cheese slices (two sandwiches) with French's Mustard. This has been his lunch for at least 15 years and continues to be his lunch even though he now works from home. He also eats dry cheerios as an evening snack sometimes.

I couldn't do that, but as I said, he doesn't have to watch his weight and is healthy.

I do however pack and eat the exact same thing all day for my 3 work days a week, it just varies week to week what that is. Two meals and a snack. That doesn't bother me.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Variety is not that important. A caveat to that is that I have to make sure to get more veggies in there sometimes. I can make a batch of really tasty marinated chicken breasts and enjoy them for lunch for a full work week. I often go weeks eating the same breakfast of PB2 in yogurt. My favorite protein bar is Pure Protein Salted Caramel - why should I buy others? Actually, I do buy some 30g bars also; I just bought a pack of 15, all the same flavor - chocolate brownie.

I do try and enjoy a wide variety of things, but the idea of not repeating meals very often doesn't make sense to me.

I completely agree with this. I essentially eat the same breakfast every day of my life and it is usually the meal I look forward to the most each day.

My 6', 170lb husband who has never had to consider watching what he eats in his life, eats dry cheerios for breakfast 95% of the time(as in every weekday and most weekend days unless someone makes pancakes or waffles). He also eats a banana and a bag of baby carrots with lunch everyday, which is 4 slices of wheat bread, 2 sad slices of ham and two of the ultra thin cheddar cheese slices (two sandwiches) with French's Mustard. This has been his lunch for at least 15 years and continues to be his lunch even though he now works from home. He also eats dry cheerios as an evening snack sometimes.

I couldn't do that, but as I said, he doesn't have to watch his weight and is healthy.

I do however pack and eat the exact same thing all day for my 3 work days a week, it just varies week to week what that is. Two meals and a snack. That doesn't bother me.

My go-to breakfast every day (with variations in brands and flavors):

Simple Truth - Instant Chia Oatmeal - Maple and Brown Sugar Flavor
    Kirkland Signature - 100% Columbian Supremo Bean Coffee
    Klarbrunn - Sparkling Water - Natural Lime Flavor, 12 fl oz
    Quest Bar White Chocolate Raspberry, 1 bar (60g)
    Dannon - Strawberry Cheesecake Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, 5.3 oz
    Mp Combat Powder - Protein Powder- Cookies N Cream, 0.6 scoop (mixed with yogurt)

534 calories, 65 carbs, 12 fat, 51 protein
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    I do not like cold pizza. I will gag if I bite into it.

Not sure if that is an unpopular opinion, but have never met anyone who's at least not OK with cold pizza.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    edited November 2018
    lalabank wrote: »
    Traditional American Thanksgiving dinner is over rated. When’s the last time you went out to a nice dinner and ordered turkey?
    On the other hand in left over sandwich form it’s delicious.

That has more to do with the difficulty of making the turkey for a restaurant then a lack of interest. Ted's Montana Grilll has turkey dinner on the menu every Sunday as its special. It's enough to feed two people and delicious.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    lalabank wrote: »
    Traditional American Thanksgiving dinner is over rated. When’s the last time you went out to a nice dinner and ordered turkey?
    On the other hand in left over sandwich form it’s delicious.

That has more to do with the difficulty of making the turkey for a restaurant then a lack of interest. Ted's Montana Grilll has turkey dinner on the menu every Sunday as it's special. It's enough to feed two people and delicious.

It's often available in restaurants and it's a big seller in frozen dinners. The comment about it being overrated was @lalabank's unpopular opinion in keeping with the thread. The question about others ordering it was probably meant to be rhetorical but it isn't always. I don't eat mammals, so I am looking at fish, poultry or vegetarian options when I eat out. There are a few places where I sometimes order turkey with dressing because the other poultry and seafood options are batter fried or just don't appeal to me as much, nor does a vegetarian option (if there really is one).