Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I remember that thread, some guy was really on about runners. It got shut down because of him. Our runners didn't take it sitting down.

Wasn't that the one where a girl asked how to get started running and he flipped out about skinny fat runners and told her not to run? I believe I was one of the runners who gave him some constructive feedback.
  • newtnest
    newtnest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't think "commonly given MFP advice" is to cut out food groups.

Fair enough. But a lot of these "plans" do. Sorry MFP :)
  • newtnest
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Honestly, IMHO about 75% of the posts in here are bringing up advice that I don't think is commonly given here. Or at least if it does come up a lot it's usually shot down.

I stand corrected!! I almost didn't comment lol In hindsight...
  • newtnest
    Options
    Also, in my defense, the question does refer to MFP "forum" advice. So I think anything on here is fair game.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Honestly, IMHO about 75% of the posts in here are bringing up advice that I don't think is commonly given here. Or at least if it does come up a lot it's usually shot down.

Totally agree.
  • newtnest
    Options
    newtnest wrote: »

I stand corrected!! I almost didn't comment lol In hindsight...

Oh, I'm not criticizing you! Especially after 17 pages, threads can wander anyway. Just an observation. And most of the posts that are bringing up advice that I don't think is common here, I'm glad it's not common here :smile:

:)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    newtnest wrote: »

Fair enough. But a lot of these "plans" do. Sorry MFP :)

You were definitely not the first one. I was just curious if there was a different perception.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Agree that overall trend over time is the only thing that ultimately matters, but if a person is interested in tracking their data, why wouldn't they minimize the variables? ...

I think this is a realistic and valid question, but my counter to that is that with all of the complexities happening, how do you even know you are "minimizing variables"?

For example, if you are holding more water than you usually do and get rid of whatever is in your bladder, how would you know? If you are holding less water than you usually do and get rid of whatever is in your bladder, how would you know? If you ate food yesterday that takes longer (or shorter) to digest, how would you know?

You can be regular like clockwork and poop every day at the same time, or you can at completely random times (like me). Those are all variables that may only be slightly controllable. You probably can't actually control cortisol or other hormones that tell your body's systems to do various things. But in any case, they are totally irrelevant to fat loss in the short term. Reducing noise in the short term doesn't tell you anything, because it's really impossible to even know. Our bodies don't regulate in any sort of simple linear fashion.

The only thing we can keep simple is calories in (if we track accurately). Calories out is a little harder because it has its own variables, but those estimates can be decent in the long term.

I think the idea of duplicating conditions makes perfect sense at the high-level. I just don't think it's actually possible. Can you drop (up to) a pound, which is really high, in your morning trip to the restroom? Probably. But, does that mean anything?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Uh huh... you're clearly very concerned about many things ;)

Not really. Just really answering the thread title, which is asking for opinions anyway. Like I mentioned before, I see absolutely no harm with the advice. Just disagree with whether it makes an actual difference. It's not wrong, just not relevant. When we're talking about fat loss, in my opinion, a better picture is always painted the longer the time window is - and the longer the time window is, the less those little things matter.

The way I know fat loss is happening has much more to do with the food scale than the bathroom scale.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

When we're talking about fat loss, in my opinion, a better picture is always painted the longer the time window is - and the longer the time window is, the less those little things matter.

The way I know fat loss is happening has much more to do with the food scale than the bathroom scale.

No argument with those 2 statements at all. :) And your point actually highlights why this advice is often given to newbies who haven't yet cultivated the patience for long-term trends- makes their short-term data a little less panic-inducing. Personally, I don't even do daily weigh-ins.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    How people react to weighing, how often they should weigh is variable.

For me it's important to weigh as close to daily as possible, or I start putting off getting on the scale. Doing it in basically the same situation is the only way to make it meaningful. I get there are still variables. I don't think everyone is the same on this, some might not need to weigh at all, but to monitor clothes fit or what not.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Not really. Just really answering the thread title, which is asking for opinions anyway. Like I mentioned before, I see absolutely no harm with the advice. Just disagree with whether it makes an actual difference. It's not wrong, just not relevant. When we're talking about fat loss, in my opinion, a better picture is always painted the longer the time window is - and the longer the time window is, the less those little things matter.

See for me it is the opposite. Neither are wrong or more efficient, just different ways of tracking progress.

Since I don't track my intake I use my trend weight in order to figure out what is going on. I like to weigh at the same time daily a)in order to not forget to do it and b) I do think it eliminates extra variables, but if there are variations I am aware of them and they correlate to certain things such as a high sodium meal the night before, food in my system, exercise etc. If I took my weight at different times my weight can fluctuate 5-8lbs during the day. I never see that kind of variation when I weigh first thing in the morning. That works best for me.