What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Most traditional breakfast foods (bacon, sausage, hash browns, gravy, biscuits, bagels, donuts, kid's cereals etc.) poorly fuel you for the day.

But you could say the same for skipping breakfast altogether. I think what fuels a person for the day (whatever their eating schedule) is what suits their tastes, activities and lifestyle.

eta: I generally eat a protein bar for breakfast, but I've been known to have a bacon and bagel sandwich and it's suited me just fine :)

I just spent a long weekend staying at a hotel where breakfast was included and ate a lot of stuff that I generally don't (sausage, bacon, cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, chocolate muffins) and felt like a big glob of grease, salt, and sugar was just rolling around in my gut all morning- it did fill me up but my energy level felt low. I don't know how people (like my dad, for example) eat like that every morning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Unpopular food opinion: Stuffing is disgusting. It doesn't matter if its stove top, or made from scratch, it tastes like salty, soggy bread. Pass. Dressing too. Then it's soggy bread with nuts in it. Also gross.

I don't think well-made stuffing is gross, but I think it's pretty much never worth the trouble/calories/forgoing other foods, and I have stopped making it for Thanksgiving dinner. If someone else wants to, great, but I am unlikely to eat any. Much rather have mashed potatoes and more of the various veg options and more turkey.

Well-made stuffing is more tolerable I'll admit. The flavor is always pretty good. But I can't help think of soggy bread when I eat it. What's dumb is I LOVE bread pudding. Which is basically the same thing. Just eggy and sweet. I think it's the savory & spongey texture that puts me off. It's purely a mental thing, I'm sure. And there's more things I'd rather spend my calories on when stuffing is present. Such as more mashed potatos.
    I sort of feel like not liking stuffing or dressing is a popular opinion (along with fruitcake hate) :D
    Not in my circle of family and friends. I think I'm the only one who has a strong preference about not eating it!

Savory bread pudding is an actual thing. And good ones are delicious (IMO).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I am a nit picker at times. It bugs me that something can be made on a stove top and be called stuffing. Growing up, stuffing was what was stuffed in the bird, while dressing was baked outside the bird. Sometimes they were exactly the same stuff; a bunch was made and what didn't fit in the bird was baked in a pan. They did come out differently; dressing was dryer with the crispy layer on top. When the bird was basted, the stuffing would get a squirt. It did come out soggy but that was what you expected if you got stuffing. It was tasty sogginess.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I sort of feel like not liking stuffing or dressing is a popular opinion (along with fruitcake hate) :D

I suspect so.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Most traditional breakfast foods (bacon, sausage, hash browns, gravy, biscuits, bagels, donuts, kid's cereals etc.) poorly fuel you for the day.

But you could say the same for skipping breakfast altogether. I think what fuels a person for the day (whatever their eating schedule) is what suits their tastes, activities and lifestyle.

eta: I generally eat a protein bar for breakfast, but I've been known to have a bacon and bagel sandwich and it's suited me just fine :)

I just spent a long weekend staying at a hotel where breakfast was included and ate a lot of stuff that I generally don't (sausage, bacon, cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, chocolate muffins) and felt like a big glob of grease, salt, and sugar was just rolling around in my gut all morning- it did fill me up but my energy level felt low. I don't know how people (like my dad, for example) eat like that every morning.

The hotel I mentioned in Jackson, MS, where I had the eggs, etc., had all that stuff too, but I didn't figure a hotel buffet would be the most delicious source for any of that, so I didn't eat it. (I would certainly go to a good Southern-style or soul food place for brunch and have some of it on rare occasion.)

I don't actually think most people eat huge breakfasts every morning. Many more elaborate breakfasts for my family were always a one day on the weekend (and not every weekend) when dad cooks sort of thing, and typically pancakes or french toast plus bacon and eggs.

Until recently, my dad normally had some kind of non sweetened cereal or oats with fruit. Now his ladyfriend makes them some sort of breakfast with eggs and veg (and always tomatoes, she's obsessed with tomatoes having healthful properties). (I actually like the ladyfriend and she's been good for his eating habits and is an amazing cook.)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I am a nit picker at times. It bugs me that something can be made on a stove top and be called stuffing. Growing up, stuffing was what was stuffed in the bird, while dressing was baked outside the bird. Sometimes they were exactly the same stuff; a bunch was made and what didn't fit in the bird was baked in a pan. They did come out differently; dressing was dryer with the crispy layer on top. When the bird was basted, the stuffing would get a squirt.

I didn't grow up with stuffing, not even at Thanksgiving. I recall those StoveTopStuffing vs. potatoes commercials and asked my mom what stuffing was, and said "ick, why would anyone want that over potatoes."

As an adult I decided I should experiment with stuffing and made it (but not stuffed in the bird, admittedly, that seems wrong to me), but continued to think that potatoes are obviously preferable and that people only make and eat stuffing because they think they should. (I realize I am biased here.)
  • placeboBL
    placeboBL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of bacon or avocado. I don’t hate either, but they’re both vastly overrated.

Beer isn’t that good either.

Gelato is fine. But it’s not better than ice cream.

Lobster isn’t fancy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds is SO *kitten* GROSS I don't understand why people eat there! And the drive thru line wraps around the building. seriously WTF.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced that there's bits of the stuffing my mother made and that we ate while I was growing up still clogging my arteries.

The only moisture in it came from ridiculous amounts of butter and a few eggs. No broth was involved whatsoever. She used to dampen her hands while she tore up the bread, so there was a tiny amount of moisture from that. But that was minimal, at best. I cannot overemphasize how much butter was involved.

When my sister and I took over Thanksgiving and we still did traditional dinners, I used to do a rice dressing with brown and wild rice and vegetables that was more a pilaf than anything. Might as well make it gluten free for myself!

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Mcdonalds is SO *kitten* GROSS I don't understand why people eat there! And the drive thru line wraps around the building. seriously WTF.

About 3-4 times a year, I need a sausage/cheese McGriddle. Mmmm, greasy savory sweet deliciousness.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Unpopular food opinion: Stuffing is disgusting. It doesn't matter if its stove top, or made from scratch, it tastes like salty, soggy bread. Pass. Dressing too. Then it's soggy bread with nuts in it. Also gross.

I don't think well-made stuffing is gross, but I think it's pretty much never worth the trouble/calories/forgoing other foods, and I have stopped making it for Thanksgiving dinner. If someone else wants to, great, but I am unlikely to eat any. Much rather have mashed potatoes and more of the various veg options and more turkey.

Well-made stuffing is more tolerable I'll admit. The flavor is always pretty good. But I can't help think of soggy bread when I eat it. What's dumb is I LOVE bread pudding. Which is basically the same thing. Just eggy and sweet. I think it's the savory & spongey texture that puts me off. It's purely a mental thing, I'm sure. And there's more things I'd rather spend my calories on when stuffing is present. Such as more mashed potatos.
    Not in my circle of family and friends. I think I'm the only one who has a strong preference about not eating it!

In my family we serve both in-bird and out-of-bird stuffing, to satisfy both those whose like the bread in their stuffing soft and moist and those who like it crispy and dry.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I feel like the addition of egg would be what could bring it from "eh" to "yum". It would add more bite to the texture. I could see this working.. Stale bread, milk, eggs, crumbled sausage, and cheese. Bake it all up until the top is golden brown and top with sour cream and chives... Hmm.... kind of a savory French toast bake... I could work that, lol!

Well-made stuffing is more tolerable I'll admit. The flavor is always pretty good. But I can't help think of soggy bread when I eat it. What's dumb is I LOVE bread pudding. Which is basically the same thing. Just eggy and sweet. I think it's the savory & spongey texture that puts me off. It's purely a mental thing, I'm sure. And there's more things I'd rather spend my calories on when stuffing is present. Such as more mashed potatoes.

In my family we serve both in-bird and out-of-bird stuffing, to satisfy both those whose like the bread in their stuffing soft and moist and those who like it crispy and dry.

My step-mom makes it more on the dry side, which I prefer as far as stuffing goes. But if there are other choices, I'll pick something else every time.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

About 3-4 times a year, I need a sausage/cheese McGriddle. Mmmm, greasy savory sweet deliciousness.

I don't really ever fancy anything from mcdonalds but the one thing I DO crave is their mcgriddles, lol. Have to have my mcgriddles a few times a year as well.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

:D That's probably one of the grossest things I have ever had there. I didn't realize it was on a pancake when I ordered it. I got it and was like WTF did I just get?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

The hotel I mentioned in Jackson, MS, where I had the eggs, etc., had all that stuff too, but I didn't figure a hotel buffet would be the most delicious source for any of that, so I didn't eat it. (I would certainly go to a good Southern-style or soul food place for brunch and have some of it on rare occasion.)

I don't actually think most people eat huge breakfasts every morning. Many more elaborate breakfasts for my family were always a one day on the weekend (and not every weekend) when dad cooks sort of thing, and typically pancakes or french toast plus bacon and eggs.

Until recently, my dad normally had some kind of non sweetened cereal or oats with fruit. Now his ladyfriend makes them some sort of breakfast with eggs and veg (and always tomatoes, she's obsessed with tomatoes having healthful properties). (I actually like the ladyfriend and she's been good for his eating habits and is an amazing cook.)

Yeah, I'm not sure if the big greasy breakfast is going away any time soon - when I go down to get coffee in my workplace cafeteria I see these foods I mentioned above selling like hotcakes :smile: Not to mention the hotel buffet attendant scrambling to replace all of the greasy and sugary stuff and not worrying so much about the yogurt and the raisin bran cereal dispenser.

The hotel breakfast buffet actually did have a lot of healthy options, which I largely ignored, because it was a rare chance to go off script and eat things that I normally wouldn't...
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I feel like the addition of egg would be what could bring it from "eh" to "yum". It would add more bite to the texture. I could see this working.. Stale bread, milk, eggs, crumbled sausage, and cheese. Bake it all up until the top is golden brown and top with sour cream and chives... Hmm.... kind of a savory French toast bake... I could work that, lol!

Well-made stuffing is more tolerable I'll admit. The flavor is always pretty good. But I can't help think of soggy bread when I eat it. What's dumb is I LOVE bread pudding. Which is basically the same thing. Just eggy and sweet. I think it's the savory & spongey texture that puts me off. It's purely a mental thing, I'm sure. And there's more things I'd rather spend my calories on when stuffing is present. Such as more mashed potatoes.

My step-mom makes it more on the dry side, which I prefer as far as stuffing goes. But if there are other choices, I'll pick something else every time.

I make a pull apart bread with canned biscuits, bacon bits, scallions, cheddar cheese, and rosemary. I pour milk and eggs over it to soak it then bake. That's a fancy breakfast for me. I like to keep things simple.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love stuffing, but not the dry crunch part! I want it a little on the soggy side :-P

My hubby actually does cook and eat a big breakfast every single day. Usually 2 slices of bacon, a 2 or 3-egg omelet with plain greek yogurt, and sautéed spinach. I can't eat eggs or dairy but he usually cooks me some bacon or sausage as well, so we're both happy campers :-D
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love old-fashioned stuffing, dark, dense, boozy fruitcake, and jello salad loaded with canned fruit cocktail.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My mouth is watering reading all the stuffing/dressing posts! I absolutely adore dressing covered in turkey gravy.