Yoga or Cross fit?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    This is like saying... which is better: apples or salmon?

Better for what - Burning calories? Strength? Overall fitness? Trendy workout gear?

Is this the only workout you would be doing? What is your overall activity level? Are you trying to lose weight, and how far do you have to go?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yoga and crossfit are nothing alike. Completely different. You can't compare the two. Depends what your goals are and what type of "results" you are looking for.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I was looking into CrossFit during one of my failed manic LOSE WEIGHT NOW!!!! phases and had several trainers steer me away from CrossFit and a couple towards "Zuu"

To quote one:
    "If your goal is strength, functional fitness, movement and flexibility then start doing Zuu. CrossFit is only good if your goal is damaged joints, soft tissue injuries and brainwashing"

Can't speak from person experience though as my crazed over the top approach to fitness/weight loss back then had burned out before I even managed to sign up to either
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    both
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by better results? Yoga and cross fit are completely different, so it seems logical they'd each be suited to different goals.
    Also, I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet, but we are missing some of the information in determining that it is specifically the cross fit that is getting your friend better results. What is her calorie deficit in comparison to yours? What about her starting weight, physique, and fitness level compared to yours? Without controlling all those variables it's hard to say "x" produces better results than "y".
    As far as helping with a calorie deficit I concede cross fit probably has yoga beat, but if you have time or can afford to do both, why not do both?
    I love yoga and have no desire to do cross fit, especially if the huge monthly fee meant I had to cut out my regular gym that has spin classes in order to afford it. Depending on the type of yoga, it can be a fairly intense body weight training routine, but I wouldn't count on it burning many calories.
    I'd definitely follow the advice others have given you and try a few free classes first though before making the decision. A big part of being fitter is being able to enjoy that fitness, but if you give up yoga that you like and only go to cross fit because you think it will make you look hotter even if you don't enjoy it, are you really enjoying being fitter? Not to say that looking hotter is not a perfectly valid goal, because it is, just do what you actually enjoy as well.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I currently Olympic weight lift and do yoga (hot Vinyasa) but I did Crossfit and yoga together for a long time. As far as results, in my personal experience Crossfit built more raw strength and gave me more of the aesthetic that I was looking for, however, yoga gave me much more mental/stress relief and greatly increased my flexibility. I think that that increased flexibility really helped my performance in Crossfit. I couldn't choose one or the other as better because they offered me different benefits and I truly feel they compliment each other perfectly.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can't compare the two, but they could compliment each other nicely to achieve good results. It depends on your personal goals and interests.
  • mackfoo
    mackfoo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do both and think they compliment each other nicely.