How often do you step on a scale?

Just wondering how often do you weigh yourself? I think I weigh myself almost daily but some people say I should do it at the beginning & end of the month. What is your normal?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    hclay25 wrote: »
    Just wondering how often do you weigh yourself? I think I weigh myself almost daily but some people say I should do it at the beginning & end of the month. What is your normal?

2-3 x a week, with my official weigh day that I log on here on a Thursday
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Every single Tuesday, plus either Friday or Saturday whichever day I think will be 'best.' That's enough scale anxiety for me...
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    I like data and knowledge is formed from data. I weigh myself daily -- in the morning, though recently in doing a work fitness challenge (we had to weigh in), I included weighing in at the end of the day. I found that my 'lowest' weight is at the end of the day (around ~5pm). So now, I weigh in the morning and sometimes, also in the evening. The most interesting part is that the morning weight can fluctuate wildly (daily), but the evening weight (pre-dinner) is generally steady and very rarely fluctuates day-to-day. I consider this weight more of a steady state / truer trend than my morning weight. Of course, the evening weight is more directly impacted by the day's activities, too, so if I've deviated from my normal behavior then I do not bother weighing.

All that being said -- you have to find what works for you and helps you keep on track. Weighing 2x/day is excessive for some, as is daily. I would not be able to sustain a bi-monthly weigh in -- there's not enough data there for me to understand what's going on. I like knowing. Knowledge is power.

Do what's right for YOU -- experiment! There's no wrong answer.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    I weight every day because I like creating the trend lines in excel. But, it's what works best for you.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Daily and I use a trend app (Libra). I only follow the trend and not the daily scale weight.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I have one weekly "official weigh in" that is Tuesday morning. But I'll step on the scale several times a week for curiosity. My weight fluctuates 4-5 pounds within the day, and usually a few pounds day to day, so I don't really get worked up about it.

Even for my weekly weigh in, I understand that some weeks I will have big progress and others I will have no progress or even gain. It's all about long term trends for me.
  • I weigh daily, right after waking up. I use Happy Scale to track the moving average. My weight always pops up a few pounds at ovulation and drops again right before I start my period.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Daily but I only update endomondo and mfp every couple of weeks
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    I weight myself once a week on Sunday mornings. Any more often than that I would go crazy lol :)
  • Healthyfood456
    Healthyfood456 Posts: 9 Member
    I am waiting until the first of January. Then I am weighing in weekly.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    When I was losing I weighed and took measurements once a week. Once I started bulk/cut cycles, I began to weigh daily and use a trending app and still do that during maintenance.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    I weigh myself in the same location at the same time daily. I only report my weight every moth. I weigh daily for statistics only.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    I weigh daily, at 9am without eating/drinking anything, after going to the washroom and without clothing on. It's very consistent that way.

I started that when I started tracking. It just worked out the best for me. Daily tracking, in the buff, post bathroom. I track no matter how I feel, and it's working for me. 70lbs+ down, 150+ days later. I could track once a week, but for me, I think I would just forget and quit doing it. I need the strict schedule to keep on top of things.
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I weighed myself every day while I was trying to lose, because I liked getting used to the random ups and downs and I'm a data geek :smile: . Now that I'm in maintenance, I weigh randomly, usually two or three times a week to make sure I'm not "drifting" too much.

For other people, weighing every day, no matter how much they understand normal weight fluctuations, stresses them out. So they do better weighing less often.

You really have to figure out how your brain works and what will give you enough data to work with, without being too much pressure or attention for your psyche.

Having the data from daily measuring really works for me. I know that it's for sure not for everyone, like you said. If someone saw a 1-2lb uptick, they might quit altogether. My goal has always been long term, and I use the daily datapoints to adjust and keep going. Plus, with enough daily entries, it makes a really nice graph to look at over time. A very nice graph, especially when it keeps on heading down over time. It also made figuring out plateaus easier.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I weigh in once per weekend first thing in the morning after using the washroom. I tend to pick the day I think I'll be the lightest, lol. Of course it catches up to me the next week if I've gained. I'm in maintenance now so I'm only trying to make sure I am staying within my range. When I was losing I had a specific day and didn't waver from that.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I weigh daily in the morning after using the restroom and then track in libra.