How often do you step on a scale?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    Daily, first thing in AM after bathroom, before food/water, in nothing but my glasses & watch. Have done that for years (probably a decade or more now?), even when not trying to lose weight. Do you sense a data geek? ;)

The scale weight per se has never been a stressful thing, for me: It's just data.

For a long time, I logged it on graph paper, until I got a trending app (Libra, because Android).

Everyone once in a while I weigh myself at another time, either out of general curiousity about something, or as a "before and after heavy summer exercise" thing to make sure I'm drinking enough water in the heat.

When I started using MFP, I already had a very good intuitive understanding about what factors caused water weight fluctuations for me, and how long they'd last. That was helpful. :)
  • cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well, feel like it keeps me from just completely falling off the wagon!!
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Daily, but just so I can input into trending app.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    daily, I like data.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    am and pm. first thing and last thing
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I weigh daily. I get up, use the restroom, weigh and log using Happy Scale. I'll weigh sometimes before and after exercise just for the sake of curiosity. In the summer I'll weigh after long bike rides as a measure of how well I'm hydrating.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Usually every couple of days. 2 days ago I was 3 pounds heavier than today, naked first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom both times. That's why I would not like weekly weigh ins. My recent trend actually says I weigh a pound more than today's weight. If I were weighing weekly on Tuesdays, I would probably be stressing about a weight gain that didn't really happen, if I were weighing weekly on Thursday I might be celebrating a bigger drop than actually happened. I am in maintenance but trying to drift lower in my range right now to leave a buffer for Christmas. I am slowly trending down.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily - to me it's data not emotion.
    I just keep a casual eye on trends and don't fuss about perfectly normal day to day fluctuations.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Every morning immediately after taking care of - ahem - morning business
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Once every couple of weeks... sometimes less, sometimes more. Lol
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    hclay25 wrote: »
    Just wondering how often do you weigh yourself? I think I weigh myself almost daily but some people say I should do it at the beginning & end of the month. What is your normal?

I do it every day, unless I forget, or an traveling and don't have one. I have almost daily weights going back 4 or 5 years, on a chart, it's cool to look at.

You shouldn't take those people's advice. Everybody's weight jumps around in ways that look random. Hope much water you have, if you had a big meal that's traveling slowly, all kinds of things. If you weigh yourself twice a month, all of those stuff can throw you off. If you weigh yourself every day, you can use a tending app (or Excel) and have a better idea what's going on.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I’m maintaining since the first of October and still weigh myself every morning.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Mostly each day. Less mostly not each day.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Never. It’s just all in how I feel and clothes feel on me
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    3 times a day.

When I get up, when I get home from work and right before I go to bed. The morning weigh in is the only one that counts though.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Daily first thing after I use the potty, no clothes. It's consistent, works for me and by logging it keeps me accountable.
  • nikolaibre
    nikolaibre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Twice a day. Once in the morning post-bathroom, and once right before bed. Seeing the fluctuation from the previous evening lets me know how my body is holding water. Sometimes it's a 2-3 lb fluctuation, sometimes it's as much as 5. The morning is what I consider my "real" weight.
  • extra_super_spicy
    Options
    I go nuts if I don't weigh myself at least 4 times per week. I know small weight fluxuations aren't anything to worry about. Just knowing my weight often makes me feel good.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Once a week Sunday morning here. I tried more often but it was up and down more than a frat house toilet seat. I couldn't focus on anything else.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Daily, same Bat time, same Bat channel, around 6:00 am.

I’m a numbers guy.