Housemate keeps fridge full of junk food

Options
13»

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    The shared food budget is because I have an irregular income. I'm a freelance carpenter and writer. They have a steady Walmart job. I usually pay a bit more than them, but when sales are slow for me, they pick up the slack. Makes sure neither of us goes without.
    They usually have four to eight days of food in there, and yeah. Freezer too.
    The issue with me moving is my carpentry equipment, which is hard to move, delicate, and hard to find a tolerant housemate. The issue with them moving is they don't want to.
    I'm beginning to realize perhaps I should just get my own fridge...

Good idea! Buy it from Wal-Mart (or have your roommate buy it and pay them back) and use their employee discount.

Also, I could be wrong but the only other thing I picked up in your response above is, do you take more room in the rest of the home with all your equipment? Maybe your roommate is staking their claim in the kitchen and fridge to even it out. If so, maybe you can find a compromise without buying a separate fridge.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    The shared food budget is because I have an irregular income. I'm a freelance carpenter and writer. They have a steady Walmart job. I usually pay a bit more than them, but when sales are slow for me, they pick up the slack. Makes sure neither of us goes without.
    They usually have four to eight days of food in there, and yeah. Freezer too.
    The issue with me moving is my carpentry equipment, which is hard to move, delicate, and hard to find a tolerant housemate. The issue with them moving is they don't want to.
    I'm beginning to realize perhaps I should just get my own fridge...

Wanted to make sure you knew about these places for writing gigs:
    https://www.textbroker.com/
    https://www.upwork.com/
    https://www.prosemedia.com/ (not gig based but they solicit me and seem like a solid company)
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Dump the housemate.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i prep my meals (entrees) up to two weeks in advance - everything is made ahead and frozen to reheat later or prepped and frozen in freezer bags for the crock pot.

half a day twice a month and boom always a hot fresh healthy dinner :)

make your roomate share the fridge and freezer space

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    divide the fridge and cupboard space..stay focused.. you can't tell a roommate what they can and can't bring home to eat. only when you get married can you do that. lol.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    divide the fridge and cupboard space..stay focused.. you can't tell a roommate what they can and can't bring home to eat. only when you get married can you do that. lol.

And even then they'll ignore you :lol:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,198 Member
    Options
    I think there's been a miscommunication.
    @janejellyroll
    @SVZee

Since I can cook, my housemate doesn't want me storing prepared food in the fridge. As in, my making more than one meal at a time, or more food than I can eat in a sitting. I'm not complaining about the fact that I have to cook, I'm annoyed that I can't cook in batches.

@collectingblues .
    Actually, all food is from shared grocery money. It's technically also mine, it's just terrible for me. And they are the kind of person who rejects anything with a recognizable vegetable. Our food usually stays apart okay because of that.

@amy19355 .
    They never wash their sheets, and don't seem bothered a bit. I think they're rotting.

@Lounmoun .
    You are describing what I would really prefer to do, foodwise. I just don't have housemate cooperation, and we're both paid up til June.

@snickerscharlie .
    Junk like hot pockets, eggnog, soda, and miscellaneous super-processed meat producets, such as chicken nuggets and meatballs. And they like to only get sale food, so they stock up. It's the only part of this I sympathize with them on.

Get a new housemate.
    Divide the budget and fridge in half.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    And to look at this from another angle: you need to budget better. if you don't get paid regularly then you need to have an intermediate emergency fund to cover such periods, plus a proper emergency fund for long periods without pay and if something breaks down. Then it doesn't matter anymore if you don't get paid regularly.

Thus don't spend money on a new fridge but save it for the moment you need it. Basically take responsibility for your finances and become independent of your room mate (are you really sharing a room???). You probably know how to lose weight by tracking. Do the same for your finances: write down everything that comes in and goes out. Keep a good overview over that. Consider what expenditures you're fine with, which ones are very high, which ones make it impossible for reaching your target of becoming financially independent.

(this way I lived very well on 1200 pounds per month for two years, with half for a small flat without utilities, lots of fresh produce, a little car, and travelling a lot.)

Roomate is American for flat mate or house mate.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Why do you share a grocery budget with your roommate? Particularly when you don't really want to eat the same types of food?

This! I had a similar issue with a roommate In college. There were 4 of us in an apartment and we all put in equal money for groceries. I ended up bowing out of that situation and saved a LOT of money because one of my roommates wanted - and ate - a lot more food than the rest of us. If you’re not eating the food your roommate is bringing home, why should you have to pay for it?
  • hrafnkat
    hrafnkat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    And to look at this from another angle: you need to budget better. if you don't get paid regularly then you need to have an intermediate emergency fund to cover such periods, plus a proper emergency fund for long periods without pay and if something breaks down. Then it doesn't matter anymore if you don't get paid regularly.

Thus don't spend money on a new fridge but save it for the moment you need it. Basically take responsibility for your finances and become independent of your room mate (are you really sharing a room???). You probably know how to lose weight by tracking. Do the same for your finances: write down everything that comes in and goes out. Keep a good overview over that. Consider what expenditures you're fine with, which ones are very high, which ones make it impossible for reaching your target of becoming financially independent.

(this way I lived very well on 1200 pounds per month for two years, with half for a small flat without utilities, lots of fresh produce, a little car, and travelling a lot.)

Roomate is American for flat mate or house mate.

And besides which, the OP said "housemate", not "roommate". So it works on either side of the pond.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    platejoy.com
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Put a mini fridge in your bedroom where you can keep all your prepped meals!
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don’t get the issue. It’s not your housemates fault that he fills the fridge with junk food. That’s his choice. What you need to do is just allocate shelf space. Or buy your own bar fridge and put it in the bedroom.
    Cook your own meals. He cooks his. Don’t complicate it by sharing food bill.