Do You Follow MFP’s Calorie Limit?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Also to add, I think for the people saying MFP gives them a calorie goal that is too low, the activity level settings are (in my experience) lower than you'd think. For example, based on the description it gives, I would select sedentary but I'm actually more like active or lightly active without any exercise.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I think people who view MFP as just a tool to keep track of the information they are tracking will have a better view of it than people who expect MFP to someohow know exactly how many calories they need to eat to lose X amount of weight in X number of days.

I think that's a good point. I see people saying that MFP advised them to eat a certain way without realizing that MFP's targets aren't personal -- it's not saying you need no more than 1200 cal to lose, or 600 cal of that to come from fat -- it's plugging in what you tell it to simple formulas used for everyone, and if you claim to be sedentary and to want to lose 2 lb/week, it will give 1200 if you are the size/age of a huge percentage of women, but that doesn't mean it's prescribed 1200.

That aside, I think that if you are reasonable and accurate in what you tell MFP, log accurately, and realize that you are expected to eat exercise back, MFP's goal is a decent starting point, especially for someone who hasn't really looked into how to calculate a goal. Everyone should be prepared to adjust based on results.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I use it as a guide but I'm not strict about it. MFP way overestimates how much I'm burning with exercise, so I try not to eat my exercise calories back, but sometimes I do a little. I'm averaging a loss of 5-6 lbs a month, so whatever I'm doing it's working for me.

And this is the key point to the whole process. Whether you use MFP as set up or do you own thing and use MFP to track, it'e the end result that actually matters. So if what you do is working, then stick with it. If what you are doing isn't giving you the results you need, then change it up.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    For those of you saying the MFP calorie goal was too low, do you mean the MFP calorie goal + exercise calories was too low?

I should clarify. I wanted consistency in my daily target, rather than the variability that came with adding in exercise calories. The 1200 calories on non-activity days was too little. I used a TDEE calculator to determine a daily target. I also had to get real with my logging habits, my daily activity, and my exercise habits.

That's essentially what I've done. I don't like the moving target of NEAT + activity.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    For those of you saying the MFP calorie goal was too low, do you mean the MFP calorie goal + exercise calories was too low?

I should clarify. I wanted consistency in my daily target, rather than the variability that came with adding in exercise calories. The 1200 calories on non-activity days was too little. I used a TDEE calculator to determine a daily target. I also had to get real with my logging habits, my daily activity, and my exercise habits.

That's essentially what I've done. I don't like the moving target of NEAT + activity.

Exactly. And then after a few months of logging data, I moved away from using the calculators, and I go off my own numbers to set my targets.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Sort of...not really. I calculated a BMR of 1336 and TDEE of 2000. This seems pretty accurate based on my logging. mfp gave me a daily goal of 1440, and it goes up to about 2440 on workout days. I can't vary my meals that much, so I try to eat 1900 every day. Some days I do eat up to 2400 and I get worried because I can't seem to ever eat less than 1800. I'm maintaining with a little bit of fluctuation, which I am OK with.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    @RAinWA
    I haven't actually heard of TDEE before. Went through the calculator and It's about 1600 for me. So I guess 1100 makes a good deficit then, right? I have plenty of energy and only get a bit hungry around my meal time, so not exactly weak and starving here. I also make sure to get plenty of nutrition in my meals so no deficiencies.

@WinoGelato
    Yeah I do OMAD with IF. If it's a meal going to the 1000 cal mark the that would be it, otherwise It could be double portion, a dessert, or snacks few hours after meal. I'm on the keto diet so don't have more than 20g net carb each day. I was 11 stone (154p) when I started, now at 9 11 (137p), I'm 5 foot 5. I'm not sure how much to lose in total as I'm going more on look (Belly fat needs to go). I figure 8 1/2 (119) should be around the weight that's good but could be several pounds heavier, we'll see. Haven't got into weights yet.

@Aaron_K123
    I make lots of tasty dishes, It was just easier to give that as example. I've never been slim. Poor eating habits through childhood and teen years led to reaching a max of 14 stone (196p). I've lost weight over the years with smaller portion, less often junk and that, not really following a strict diet (some diet here and there). I stayed 11 stone for the past year after losing a stone from stress and depression. Both of which didn't really end until recently, I just stopped losing weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Larkspur94 wrote: »
    @RAinWA
    I haven't actually heard of TDEE before. Went through the calculator and It's about 1600 for me. So I guess 1100 makes a good deficit then, right? I have plenty of energy and only get a bit hungry around my meal time, so not exactly weak and starving here. I also make sure to get plenty of nutrition in my meals so no deficiencies.

@WinoGelato
    Yeah I do OMAD with IF. If it's a meal going to the 1000 cal mark the that would be it, otherwise It could be double portion, a dessert, or snacks few hours after meal. I'm on the keto diet so don't have more than 20g net carb each day. I was 11 stone (154p) when I started, now at 9 11 (137p), I'm 5 foot 5. I'm not sure how much to lose in total as I'm going more on look (Belly fat needs to go). I figure 8 1/2 (119) should be around the weight that's good but could be several pounds heavier, we'll see. Haven't got into weights yet.

@Aaron_K123
    I make lots of tasty dishes, It was just easier to give that as example. I've never been slim. Poor eating habits through childhood and teen years led to reaching a max of 14 stone (196p). I've lost weight over the years with smaller portion, less often junk and that, not really following a strict diet (some diet here and there). I stayed 11 stone for the past year after losing a stone from stress and depression. Both of which didn't really end until recently, I just stopped losing weight.

Which calculator, using what for inputs? If you're talking about MFP's guided setup, and you put in that you wanted to lose X per week, your deficit is already built into the goal number it gives you. You wouldn't subtract more from it to get a goal.

If you're talking about other TDEE calculators, they often will give you a target somewhere in their output that includes a deficit already, too. (MFP is a NEAT calculator, not a TDEE calculator - TDEE includes intentional exercise, NEAT doesn't. If you use MFP's NEAT calculator, you're supposed to log and eat back exercise calories, on top of the base calories.

It would be conservative (best odds of good health) to avoid losing more than about 1% of your current body weight per week, and perhaps less than that within about 50 pounds of goal weight.
  • annlyric
    annlyric Posts: 53 Member
    I do. I follow it pretty strictly since I have started seriously trying to loose weight. Because it works for me. It’s taken a long time to find something to actually work for me, and this keeps me on track. I’m a big believer in listening to your body and finding something that works for you and your needs.
  • nf51666
    nf51666 Posts: 1 Member
    I try and stick to 1500 calorie intake a day. I also use a Fitbit so make sure my calorie burn is more than 1500. If I want to eat more I need to move more.
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    I set my own calorie goal and I go with that. MFP and I weren't too far off. MFP recommended 1490 and I set it to 1400.