Calorie Destroyers

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Wafer cookies. These things. While I think they are delicious, I also think they are shockingly high in calories considering how little they weigh. (For some reason I think that things that weigh little should be low in calories.)

Weighing little = low calories? Boy have I got a cake for you! The whole thing is only 600cals according to that guy's mom.

3x7un9o33g84.jpg

(disclaimer: the whole cake is not 600cals. That guy shouldn't have believed his mom and neither should you)

OMG i remember this thread!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Potato chips for me. I love them, but have no portion control around them as they just aren't filling. I save these for long race recovery.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    this is where we could have the muffin vs. donut discussion....a muffin is 500+ cal and a donut 350ish...i mean seriously!
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    Sheet cake. Smoothies and protein shakes. Stadium foods. I shared some super greasy crinkle cut fries slathered in ketchup yesterday. My friends and I were like totally not worth it.

Where are you people getting these bad fries? I am sad.

I only eat fries twice a year, because unfortunately, it's hard to find fries that are reliably gluten free. When we go on vacation, the fries on the boardwalk have dedicated fryers, so I know they're safe.

They use fresh cut potatoes. They fry them fresh for each order.

They are spectacular and worth every single calorie.

Foods not worth calories? Any gluten-free "replacement" foods like gluten free bread, pizza, etc. I do have to say that Trader Joe's gluten free bagels are half-way decent, though.

Have you tried tj's gf bread? I really like it!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    this is where we could have the muffin vs. donut discussion....a muffin is 500+ cal and a donut 350ish...i mean seriously!

But good muffins are actually worth the 500 calories :smile:
  • deannalfisher
    edited December 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

but not the puney ones i ever get - if i make them from scratch sure (or maybe the wegman's pumpkin ones with strawberry cream cheese) - but mostly i can think of better things to spend my calories on (and i felt that way even at 3000cal a day)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

The muffins I find "good" are more like 800 calories. They are also more like cake. Thanks a lot, Costco.
  • pinuplove
    Options

The muffins I find "good" are more like 800 calories. They are also more like cake. Thanks a lot, Costco.

Homemade is the only way to go.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

See, this is why I don't bake. To save myself from myself.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Cheap pastry.
  • pinuplove
    Options

See, this is why I don't bake. To save myself from myself.

Me too. That, and lazy :tongue:
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Christmas cookies are hard to resist. So I pick and eat one. It is my bucket challenge.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

<rant>

No, those giant travesty-of-a-muffin things that are huge, over-sweet, filled/topped with sugar-stuffs/nuts, and literally greasy on the outside from overuse of oil . . . those are 500+ calories.

A traditional sort of muffin - regular size muffin tin, reasonably sweet, raisins and nuts, enough oil for good texture . . . those run in the 300 region. I ran mine through the recipe builder, and got 297 calories per. Other people (who are not cutting calories) universally like them - one friend demands that I bring a batch on road trips. Plus 6g protein, 6g fiber, 11% RDA calcium & iron, 253mg potassium.

The modern commercial muffin is a monstrosity, a tall soft cookie, or a kind of cake. It's not a muffin.

</rant>

Totally agree!

Mine come out to 187kcal (but I make them in a smaller than average muffin tin). On a good day I can get away with eating 2 of those :yum:

(and freeze the extras so I'm not tempted. Pop in the oven for 5 minutes after dethawed and they taste almost like fresh from the oven the first time 'round)
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Cream horns. Now I will clarify if bought from a real bakery there is a divine real Italian bakery in town they are beyond good. And I bet close to 600 calories because they are huge. So they are not on my food list. But the ones that are worthless and I just never even consider anymore are the ones that come 4 or 5 pre-packaged for about $4 and when done eating one you have that left over greasy taste in your mouth. They state they are 260 calories each.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Cheap chocolate. I LOVE chocolate, but if I'm going to splurge it has to be fine quality. The other day I was dreaming about chocolate...had a couple of Hershey Kisses...meh...what a waste of calories.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Cheap chocolate. I LOVE chocolate, but if I'm going to splurge it has to be fine quality. The other day I was dreaming about chocolate...had a couple of Hershey Kisses...meh...what a waste of calories.

Doesn't even taste like chocolate, huh? :disappointed: The candy cane white chocolate ones are good, though.
  • quiksylver296
    edited December 2018
    Options

Doesn't even taste like chocolate, huh? :disappointed:The candy cane white chocolate ones are good, though.

I love those things! I cannot moderate them. I've gone through one of the really big bags already this year. I also noticed that last year a serving was 9 kisses for 220 calories, and this year a serving is 6 kisses for 140 calories. Trying to make them look less dangerous... :grumble:
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    All-you-can eat sushi! I don't even feel tempted by the fried rolls or ones stuffed with cream cheese, and still I can put away many thousands of calories without batting an eye ;)
    The dessert (tempura banana with ice cream) doesn't help either!!