What did you want to be when you grew up?

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    An astronaut. And I regret not pursuing it.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I was pretty sure I'd be a famous singer. Only... I never wanted to sing in front of people. Wonder why that didn't work out for me? :smirk:
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    A fashion designer/actress/TV news reporter/jockey/detective

I ended up with a career in magazine publishing. And now I am a SAHM who occasionally takes on a freelance writing or editing project.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a Meteorologist. I was the nerd that wrote letters to the TV meteorologists, asking what kind of classes they took, blah blah. A couple invited me in studio, and at one, I got to do the 6pm weather, from the research for the forecasting, all the way to the TV part.

I often wish that I would've stayed that route. Being correct less than half the time is not nearly as accepted in the nuclear industry.

You would have been an awesome TV personality
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a pilot as a kid and used to study avaition in elementary school. To the point my parents had me subscribed to some aviation magazines. Always thought I would be a helicopter pilot. Bt I also always played music coming from a family of musicians, so in 7th grade I took up guitar and played in bands through high school. After HS I went to California and looked at Berkley and GIT, but nothing felt right. I had also been doing eletroncis and braodcast work since I was 16 so I did that as well as finished degree work in exercise science, working towards being a physical therapist. Ended up as a personal trainer, working live events and doing my own TV show, and also working at the college I am at for the last 25 years.

Crazy...

• admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I thought I could be a model or news reporter hahaha
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Meteorologist. I even went to a university with a good met program and studied . . . electrical engineering.
  • crampus1
    crampus1 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Better than I am
  • tbduarte1
    tbduarte1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a professional athlete until I realized I was not good enough. Then I realized a teacher influenced me so much in school and so I wanted to teach High School history and coach football. Here I am today living the dream.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    When I was very small I wanted to be a nurse.
    As I got older, an astronaut,
    then an archeologist and finally
    a wife and mother (not that unusual for my generation, lol).

Of those mentioned I only managed the wife and mother.
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    As a kid, I wanted to be a veterinarian and dog breeder and run an enormous stable and have a farm and a bunch of kids, while being a preschool teacher at the same time, too. Apparently, 7 year old me thought adults had a lot of free time to fill.
    I ended up with the bunch of kids (4 of them) and did some preschool teaching when I was younger, but skipped the rest of that and went into nursing instead.
  • NvrGivUpM8
    NvrGivUpM8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wanted to join the army.....so I did it! Then I grew up and realised there is better things to do lol

But you gotta live those dreams and have no regrets in this life!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I wanted to be a mathematician or physicist...

I failed 7th grade Math, I don't want to blame the teacher, who has actually earned a number of awards for teaching but it was totally bogus...

About 90% of your grade was based on these stupid art projects, that she primarily used as a means to pass students who didn't understand the material... At 12-13 I was annoyed and rather hated arts and crafts projects... Never took these assignments seriously and she failed me lol...

In 8th grade, we had a substitute all year long cause.... Hayward 🤷🏽‍♂️, lol... The kids were terrible to him and he refused at the end of the year to recommend anyone for anything higher than basic math.. He even told me that if there was one student that he would have recommended for algebra, it would have been me but sorry J...

Fast forward to senior year, I had caught up and earned my recommendation for AP Cal, but... Sorry Jesse no English teacher has ever liked what you had to say because you just see the world differently, and where a bit jaded at that time... So, basic college English was all I could get, which meant due to the prerequisite system... I couldn't take any math course beyond basic college Math...

I basically threw my hands up at that point and said *kitten* this *kitten* and went into home loans and real estate... I was able to sell because I was good with numbers but that only takes you so far in sales...

Now I'm a Wastewater Grade 3 Operator, which is supervisory level... I enjoy it because I get to use my smarts in a variety of ways and I know I ended up right where I was supposed to be... And the money isn't bad either...
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    DemSwells wrote: »
    The 7 Million Dollar Man.
    Magnum PI's moustache.

Moustache :D Gawdamn