Weight of average American

Options

Replies

• loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I don't understand how the average waist measurement can be so big. I'm only comparing to myself, but I'm over that average weight (approx 180lbs), and my waist is 80cm. The average in the article is 170lbs but with a waist of 98cm.
    Are body shapes changing drastically as well as weight? Moving to more weight being carried around the middle? (which can be caused by stress - so might be a reasonable conclusion).
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how the average waist measurement can be so big. I'm only comparing to myself, but I'm over that average weight (approx 180lbs), and my waist is 80cm. The average in the article is 170lbs but with a waist of 98cm.
    Are body shapes changing drastically as well as weight? Moving to more weight being carried around the middle? (which can be caused by stress - so might be a reasonable assumption).

How tall are you? If you’re taller your weight is probably distributed more. Otherwise, more muscle mass would be a variable.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I think stress is a big part of it, working so much, eating out.
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to see similar statistics on fat distribution, and if types of fat (subcutaneous vs visceral) have changed. I find it interesting because it can lend weight (pun not intended) to the arguments around changing eating habits and lifestyles impact on obesity - external of calorie increases.
  • Ddsb11
    edited December 2018
    Options
    margbarco wrote: »
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Ave height and weight for women is 5’3” and 170 lbs and on the cusp of obesity.

I can’t help but wonder if the movement of self acceptance was applied in the wrong direction. We cannot stop this unless we take responsibility.

Agreed. Body positivity is a fantastic movement, but it doesn’t mean we can’t acknowledge and try to change our unhealthy ways. Nobody has to feel bad about it. Just because we strive to become healthier doesn’t mean we aren’t accepting of our selves or our bodies.

I definitely expect some push back, I’m sure it’s not a popular opinion, but that’s okay.

There’s a thread where one woman describes her personal reason for gaining weight. She said she took this movement in a way that made her feel defiant towards losing weight or living a healthier lifestyle, because didn’t want to be shallow like everyone else, thinking she was an independent woman who loved herself and her “curves”. She was very brave to confront this mindset, as those two things are not mutually exclusive.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Looking over the data, one thing that stands out to me in the females is that there is an increase in mean weight until 50-59 years old, then it drops off back lower. What this is telling me is that the impact your weight has will likely lead to fatalities before you hit 60. If you make it to 75+, you likely have a BMI in the healthy range.

This is just my quick analysis of the data though. Not sure how accurate that is.

*Edited for grammar.

I would have looked at that as the lifestyle and diet these older people have had over their lives which is still impacting on their current BMI rather than earlier life expectancies because of the impact of weight.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

There’s a thread where one woman describes her personal reason for gaining weight. She said she took this movement in a way that made her feel defiant towards losing weight or living a healthier lifestyle, because didn’t want to be shallow like everyone else, thinking she was an independent woman who loved herself and her “curves”. She was very brave to confront this mindset, as those two things are not mutually exclusive.

I don't think that mindset can be described as body positivity. If you're actively changing your body either to fit in, or to deliberately not fit in to societal standards then (in my opinion) you're missing the point. The point being that your body size doesn't matter and says jack all about who you are as a person.

I agree I don’t think it is either, that’s just how she took it. It was an interesting POV and experience in the other direction.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

So, weight is increasing and we’re getting shorter.

This honestly hurts my heart. I can’t help but wonder if the movement of self acceptance was applied in the wrong direction. We cannot stop this unless we take responsibility.

I think we're just eating too much. I would bet the number of fast food (high calorie) meals increased with our weight. The size of our sodas increased with our weight. We've lost sight of what a reasonable portion size means.

Totally agree. I find myself now thinking about what size of coffee to buy. Even though it has no calories--When I first starting working, summers in college, in the1980s, I would buy a coffee and the only option was an 8 oz. paper cup or in a coffee shop in a cup or mug (at most 8 oz. probably). The smallest you can get today is 12 oz. I'm tempted to get a larger but always have to ask myself "do I need that much?" (I usually drink decaf so it's almost like drinking water, but still). Nobody sells a soda that is 8-12 oz. unless you buy a can or a kid's size. When I was growing up we couldn't drink soda without permission. My mother would buy occasionally and a 12 oz. CAN was for four people. We never drank a whole can of soda. I remember being excited when finally they gave you a whole can on the airplane. Nowadays people buy 32 oz. and a 16 oz. is the "small."

The whole massive increase in portion sizes over the years is what I think is an issue, too. So I agree with you. It's odd, really. I suppose it was done by restaurants and food companies to make money of course but I grew up with "normal" portion sizes like you described. And IF we had pop it would be a can split between my sister and I. The food servings my mom gave us were normal and we were both health weights as kids.

Now, for some reason, both my parents and sister are overweight and eat full restaurant portions, large size drinks, multiple servings of food at home, etc. and don't see anything different. It truly surprises me. I don't discuss it with them but find it quite shocking to observe.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    An interesting corollary to these population health statistics is info on what happens to first and second generation immigrants compared to family members who still reside in their countries of origin. In the case of immigrants from Mexico, family members can live just over the border. Bottom line is that immigrants become fatter and less healthy than those who remain in their home countries. Major contributors include the higher fat & sugar in "typical" American fare that mean more calories and often less healthy overall nutrition, and the increased stress of everyday living, which seems to have a major impact on mental health as well as physical health.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

So, weight is increasing and we’re getting shorter.

This honestly hurts my heart. I can’t help but wonder if the movement of self acceptance was applied in the wrong direction. We cannot stop this unless we take responsibility.

I think we're just eating too much. I would bet the number of fast food (high calorie) meals increased with our weight. The size of our sodas increased with our weight. We've lost sight of what a reasonable portion size means.

Totally agree. I find myself now thinking about what size of coffee to buy. Even though it has no calories--When I first starting working, summers in college, in the1980s, I would buy a coffee and the only option was an 8 oz. paper cup or in a coffee shop in a cup or mug (at most 8 oz. probably). The smallest you can get today is 12 oz. I'm tempted to get a larger but always have to ask myself "do I need that much?" (I usually drink decaf so it's almost like drinking water, but still). Nobody sells a soda that is 8-12 oz. unless you buy a can or a kid's size. When I was growing up we couldn't drink soda without permission. My mother would buy occasionally and a 12 oz. CAN was for four people. We never drank a whole can of soda. I remember being excited when finally they gave you a whole can on the airplane. Nowadays people buy 32 oz. and a 16 oz. is the "small."

Exactly. I remember a post on here a few years ago. A sweet young woman was "whining" that she couldn't "eat normally" while dieting. When we inquired further we discover that her specific complaint was that she couldn't do her weekly lunch out with friends. We asked more and discovered that their regular routine was EACH of them ordering a regular sized pizza and eating it. We tried to explain that a pizza that size, with 6 or so regular sized pieces, was designed to be shared, that it was much too much food for a woman's lunch. We tried to explain that she could, indeed, participate in her regular outings just not eat a whole pizza. We've lost perspective.

Yes we have lost perspective. Food has become entertainment and experience. Think about it: there's the must have local fare, must go to restaurant, must try recipe, and cooking shows. There are constantly changing food trends, and FOMO (fear of missing out) drives people to seek these things out. YouTube has extreme cooking and eating videos (30 lb cheeseburger anyone?). Thanks to Seamless and Grubhub you don't even need to leave home for McDonald's. If you live your life around eating experiences, you have to think about the repercussions.