Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is Less-healthy? being obese or being a "fit" smoker?

gillendria
gillendria Posts: 1 Member
I quit smoking, since then I have gained the 20 pounds back that I had spent the last 8 months losing. Everyone tells me that is a normal occurance but I cannot seem to get back on track with me eating and my fitness routine has gone by the wayside as well.
I felt very healthy as a smoker and very in control. Now I am depressed and feel like I am not in control of anything, and I am not feeling healthy at all.
I have read numerous blogs and medical discussions about the adverse effects of being heavily overweight as opposed to being a more active and fit person but being a smoker. What do you all think? Comments please, thanks.

Replies

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Former smoker here. I have to question how "fit" one can actually be while also being a smoker. I can't imagine running races or doing all-day bike rides when you're self-sabotaging by filling your lungs with tar. It's just completely at cross-purposes. I live in a very "smoky" state, but at the local rec center, you will literally never see anyone smoking outside.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I did a double check. I thought it was 20 years after stopping smoking for one's health markers to be the same as someone who had never smoked. Fortunately for you its only 15 years. So keep up the good work staying smoke free and get back gently to being the weight you want and being physically fit person you know is you. Depending on their not being an underlying medical cause you will be your healthy weight and maintaining well before you reach your 15th smoke free anniversary. As you are now is better for you than where you were.

All the very best and Live Well.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Nothing health about either one. Congrats on quitting smoking and good luck getting rid of the extra weight.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    So basically lung cancer or heart disease, other cancer, diabetes and other health complications?
    I mean, you can have a higher BMI and still be healthy, but with obesity can come some serious health problems. I just can’t accept either as “better” or “healthier”.
  • fordk3557
    fordk3557 Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve never smoked so can’t comment on giving up I have however watched someone close die because of smoking - that was horrendous 😢 and I have been depressed and although it’s tough, getting out for just a walk in the fresh air does help and could just be the path back to where you want to be - good luck and look after yourself 😘
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    I am the same as you OP..........had lost 50lbs and was normal weight then gave up smoking [14 months ago] and hey presto those pesky 50lbs are back with a vengeance......so my answer to your question is smoking and obesity are both bad so don't be either....do what I'm doing, lose the weight again...we both know how to do it. Age is irrelevant....I am 70 and want to be able to be active in my old age and not be a burden to anyone.
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2019
    gillendria wrote: »
    I quit smoking, since then I have gained the 20 pounds back that I had spent the last 8 months losing. Everyone tells me that is a normal occurance but I cannot seem to get back on track with me eating and my fitness routine has gone by the wayside as well.
    I felt very healthy as a smoker and very in control. Now I am depressed and feel like I am not in control of anything, and I am not feeling healthy at all.
    I have read numerous blogs and medical discussions about the adverse effects of being heavily overweight as opposed to being a more active and fit person but being a smoker. What do you all think? Comments please, thanks.

You know what will make you really, really, really thin? Chemo.

The worst of it catches up to you much, much later. In both cases.

I'm sure you can smoke and run marathons... now.

I put on 20 lbs when I quit smoking. It sucked. It took me a while to stabilize, to get to where I was able to comfortably manage my weight without smokes. Give yourself some time. You CAN get to where you are a healthy weight non-smoker. It's just going to take some time.

You are strong. You are capable. You can do anything. You deserve everything you can give yourself. So give yourself EVERYTHING.
    Now I am depressed and feel like I am not in control of anything, and I am not feeling healthy at all.

This is all temporary, I promise you. Keep going. Move through this.