Dealing with jealous family

Options
Have lost 60lb over 2018. I still want lose another 40 so am obviously not skin and bones. A family member said something that really bothered me. Had mentioned that I was cold and she immediately snapped, in front of the rest of my family, that if I ate, I wouldn’t be cold. It wasn’t said kindly and it caught me off guard. There were only snarky comments as well. I know she has struggled her entire life with her weight and is morbidly obese. She has never been supportive about me losing weight and is constantly talking about how it is pointless to try, your body has a set point and obese people are that way because of their body composition not their choices or behavior. So...not going to get a pat on the back from her over the 60lbs but but BUT it still hurt. I know she is upset and probably feels judged for how much she has been eating at our house. I know she is insecure. I know the comment wasn’t accurate, I do eat and am not anorexic by any means. I know this is her issue but how do I not let it become mine? It’s not easy to commit to losing weight and it really hurts to have someone you love accuse you of harming yourself when you are doing your best to be healthy. I don’t see explaining how her comments are hurtful making difference. She is just too defensive and irrational on this issue. So how do I let go of her comments? Or otherwise deal with it?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    You can't control what others think or do, you can only control your reaction. This is somthing my dad would pound into my head as a kid:).

So I guess there are a few things I'd think about first...Did you talk alot about weight loss, food etc? Sometimes overweight people can FEEL like we are directing that general talk towards them. The fact that she discussed set points etc means some conversation came up. She felt judged and it was probably her own guilt that allowed her to feel judged and nothing you said. Just your loss and your weighing your food or eating smaller portions may have sent her into defensive mode. There is probably nothing you can do to stop her from having these reactions, but you can work on not letting them hurt.

Also as a side point: it's true for me that when I eat in a calorie deficit I am colder, my husband is so confused I went from always hot and having hot flashes to freezing. So perhaps it's true for her too and she just made a true but snide comment thoughtlessly?

Anyway congrats on your loss and try to shake it off.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So I guess there are a few things I'd think about first...Did you talk alot about weight loss, food etc? Sometimes overweight people can FEEL like we are directing that general talk towards them. The fact that she discussed set points etc means some conversation came up. She felt judged and it was probably her own guilt that allowed her to feel judged and nothing you said. Just your loss and your weighing your food or eating smaller portions may have sent her into defensive mode. There is probably nothing you can do to stop her from having these reactions, but you can work on not letting them hurt.
    I have made a point to not use the scale while she is here because I don’t want to get the comments. Will be told I am being compulsive and developing unhealthy relationship woth food. We have talked about losing weight in past but have learned it’s not a good conversation to have. Definitely avoid talking about it but has been impossible to avoid from family members that we haven’t seen in awhile. I don’t know how to respond yet to the “compliments” from people I know. Say thank you and try to down play it because it makes me uncomfortable. I imagine it makes other people around uncomfortable too.
  • lucybell6
    lucybell6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately, no matter how you respond to them it won't change their comments or how they feel about themselves. I have been heavier and comments are made, I've also been lighter and still comments were made. One was if I was colder because I was thinner. I didn't understand the comment till later. You are doing what is best for you and your health. Don't let other's misery diminish your accomplishments. I know it's easier said than done. You know your body and know what's healthy. Kudos to you and a job well done on sticking with it and meeting your goals!!
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your weight loss so far! Do not let someone's comments or opinions take away from all the hard work you have done. Be proud of what you have accomplished so far and keep up the good work.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My family now tells me I’m two skinny but I tell them I’m working on gaining muscle. Then they say I spend too much time at the gym (which I need to go to to get bigger). It’s a real catch 22 but I have decided to ignore them. I lift 5x per week (2 of which are usually bodypump) and don’t do any cardio. I eat fine (like a pig this Christmas) and still feel fine. Just ignore them. They’re jealous.