Any others trying the 16:8 fast?

Options
2019 is going to be one for the books!

I've made the decision to start taking my health seriously and changing my lifestyle, and there's no time quite like today to start! I'm 25, overweight and ready to change my relationship with food (I'm an emotional eater) - so I'm starting the 16:8 fast and using MyFitnessPal to track the foods that I do eat!

For anyone unfamiliar with the 16:8 fast, it's where you fast for 16 hours out of the day, allowing yourself an 8 hour window to eat. For me, that's 12:00 PM - 8 PM.

Is there anyone else on this site going through the 16:8 fast? I could use an accountability buddy or two & would love to share the journey with someone else who can understand what it's like!

I hope you all reach your goals in 2019, it's nice to meet you!
-A

Replies

• owlfitness95
    owlfitness95 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm happy to hear that you want to change your eating habits 😊 I've been interested in 16:8 fast! I always feel like I won't be able to do it, so I stick to clean eating and keeping track of my portions. I'm down to be one of your accountability buddy 😉 Because girl, I need to stick to something that works for me. I currently got a bit off track and need to hop back on the wagon lol
  • shay_n_grey
    shay_n_grey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same page as me! I have been doing 16:8 and it has really changed some things in my battle with food, weight loss and my over all relationship with food. Reduced cravings, not so hungry all the time and I have energy!!
  • hillarysmith0529
    hillarysmith0529 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’ve done intermittent fasting before and loved it once I got the hang of it! I still try to do it although I’m not as strict as I should be 😬 Feel free to add me if you’d like and best of luck to you! You got this 💪
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ive done 16:8 and sometimes 18:6 for more than 30 years. Ive been doing it since before I knew what it was and what it was called. its still about the calories. you can gain weight doing it,you can lose weight or you can maintain weight, Ive done all 3 (not at the same time of course). its just something that works for me and when I feel hungry. of you want to lose and dont stick to a deficit you wont lose weight.

its not a special weight loss way of eating. if it helps you stick to your calories then its worth a shot.It doesnt reduce craving or appetite in everyone either. there is also no need to be strict when doing it. just stick to a calorie deficit during the window of time in which you eat and you will be fine.

its also not going to be sustainable for everyone. its not going to cause faster weight loss either. I havent noticed any boost in energy either. so YMMV but just know you still have to watch your calories and how much you eat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Same page as me! I have been doing 16:8 and it has really changed some things in my battle with food, weight loss and my over all relationship with food. Reduced cravings, not so hungry all the time and I have energy!!

thats great that it does that for you but its not going to happen that way for everyone Ive done it 30+ years and I dont experience any of those things. There are days I want to overeat lol. it will be different for everyone. it can help those with type 2 diabetes in some cases but not always.
  • rubyjessicasmith1
    Options
    Yes! I just got an app for it I'm very excited
  • rachelleo27
    rachelleo27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m doing it. Lost 10 lbs so far. Feel free to add me😀
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on having a go at this on a trial basis for the month of January, so work if anyone wants to add me I'd be delighted to have the company while I get hangry.
  • jm122014
    jm122014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had great results with intermittent fasting. I’ve considered giving it a try but need to do some research first. It seems so simple, I’d love to know the “science” behind this eating pattern. Wishing you success!!
  • faeriedanielle
    faeriedanielle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Very intrigued by this. Good luck!!
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    AnnabellaxRinger Posts: 101 Member
    Options

@shay_n_grey - YAAAAAAAAAAS. My biggest thing is I have a very unhealthy relationship with food (I eat my emotions) and I think this will be a good start to changing my dynamic and using food as an outlet - I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well! :smiley:
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    Options
    I’ve done intermittent fasting before and loved it once I got the hang of it! I still try to do it although I’m not as strict as I should be 😬 Feel free to add me if you’d like and best of luck to you! You got this 💪

@hillarysmith0529 - added! I look forward to seeing your progress as well! Thank you for the encouragement!
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    Options
    I’m doing it. Lost 10 lbs so far. Feel free to add me😀

@rachelleo27 - added! CONGRATS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS! :heart:
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    Options
    I'm planning on having a go at this on a trial basis for the month of January, so work if anyone wants to add me I'd be delighted to have the company while I get hangry.

@BigDougie1211 - Ooh, someone to be hangry with! YAAAS. Added!
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    Options
    jm122014 wrote: »
    I have a friend who had great results with intermittent fasting. I’ve considered giving it a try but need to do some research first. It seems so simple, I’d love to know the “science” behind this eating pattern. Wishing you success!!

@jm122014 - I have been SUPER curious about the science behind it, but there really aren't a lot of studies done on it, especially for women. Most of the studies I've found have to do with rats, moreso than humans - which as we know are very different! :lol:

I decided to just be a guinea pig for 30 days and blog my progress on here. If you're on Facebook, there's a group I joined called 'Intermittent Fasting for Women' and there's a lot of people who post about their experiences. It's what made me want to give it a shot!

Thank you for your encouragement!
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    Options
    Very intrigued by this. Good luck!!

@faeriedanielle - Thank you so much! :smile: I really REALLY appreciate it!
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    Options
    Yes! I just got an app for it I'm very excited

@rubyjessicasmith1 - Which one?? I'm using Vora right now, but all it does it track how long I've been fasting. I've been curious about others!
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    Options
    Ive done 16:8 and sometimes 18:6 for more than 30 years. Ive been doing it since before I knew what it was and what it was called. its still about the calories. you can gain weight doing it,you can lose weight or you can maintain weight, Ive done all 3 (not at the same time of course). its just something that works for me and when I feel hungry. of you want to lose and dont stick to a deficit you wont lose weight.

its not a special weight loss way of eating. if it helps you stick to your calories then its worth a shot.It doesnt reduce craving or appetite in everyone either. there is also no need to be strict when doing it. just stick to a calorie deficit during the window of time in which you eat and you will be fine.

its also not going to be sustainable for everyone. its not going to cause faster weight loss either. I havent noticed any boost in energy either. so YMMV but just know you still have to watch your calories and how much you eat.

@CharlieBeansmomTracey - I totally agree! I'm keeping my diet restricted to 1200 calories or less per day, making sure to cut out excess sugars (I have a sweet tooth) and making sure to keep my no-calorie liquid intake high to make sure I stay hydrated! I think a lot of my issues have been due to dehydration. Our bodies are made up of SO much water, and if we don't have enough, a lot of what's inside isn't going to work right.

After my 30 days of this, I'm hoping it will be more of a lifestyle than a 'diet' perse, and then go to get a gym membership! Every health kick I've ever had, I've paired diet and exercise all at once, and I usually fall off the horse. I'm thinking if I can make this one change, I'll get a lot of the 'junk' out of my system and be ready to keep progressing.

I appreciate your advice, it's greatly appreciated :heart:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

@CharlieBeansmomTracey - I totally agree! I'm keeping my diet restricted to 1200 calories or less per day, making sure to cut out excess sugars (I have a sweet tooth) and making sure to keep my no-calorie liquid intake high to make sure I stay hydrated! I think a lot of my issues have been due to dehydration. Our bodies are made up of SO much water, and if we don't have enough, a lot of what's inside isn't going to work right.

After my 30 days of this, I'm hoping it will be more of a lifestyle than a 'diet' perse, and then go to get a gym membership! Every health kick I've ever had, I've paired diet and exercise all at once, and I usually fall off the horse. I'm thinking if I can make this one change, I'll get a lot of the 'junk' out of my system and be ready to keep progressing.

I appreciate your advice, it's greatly appreciated :heart:

just make sure that 1200 calories is enough for you especially after you start working out again. 1200 for many women is too little of calories. hydration is a good idea just make sure you dont over hydrate.