I AM SKINNY FAT: Please share advice on how I can lose more than 1 pound per month (not a typo).

Options
Short version: I need advice on how a naturally small person can lose weigh when (1) cutting additional calories is not an option and (2) regular exercise only leads to a loss of one pound per month.

Long version: I am 5’0” and have always have had a very small frame. For much of my life I was a 00 (yup, that is a real size) and stayed around 90 pounds, give or take. I never had to diet or deprive myself, that is just where I naturally settled (I know, I'd hate me too, but please keep reading).

Occasionally I would start to increase to 95-100lbs range. I know that sounds extremely small, but on my tiny frame it made me look like I was 4 months pregnant. I would manage the weight with a balanced diet and exercise routine. However, because I am small and a vegetarian, I could not really reduce my caloric intake without being unhealthy (I will not go below 1,200 a day and compromise my health). Due to having to rely almost exclusively on exercise, the best I could really hope for was losing 1 pound a month—and I was ok with that. No matter the types of exercises I have tried, my results have remained the same.

I am now 38 and am getting married in less than 10 months. I am also at the heaviest I have ever been (109-113lbs). To give you context, this is a 20-25% increase from where I have been almost all of my adult life.

I have been fairly sedentary for the last 6 months due to my work schedule, but will begin a full fitness routine in February (yay!). I will be doing Hot Yoga (flow) 5-6 days a week for 60 minutes, a restorative yoga class (to give my body a break mid-week), and hiking twice a week. I have done this routine before and absolutely loved it. It takes time to get results, but I feel amazing in the process and I genuinely love both activities. *BUT* I also increase my caloric intake to support this workout and feed my body . . . which takes me right back to only losing about 1 pound a month. (Yes, I know I am also gaining muscle, but the results don't really show up in my waistline).

I want to get back down to my natural size (where I was for almost 2 decades of my life) and get close to 95 pounds for my wedding. So, I need to double my past consistent results. My extra weight (which all goes to my belly) now makes me look like I am 5-6 months pregnant and I am very embarrassed by it.

So, my question for all of you who have dealt with a similar issue: What did you do to lose weight in a safe/healthy way when cutting calories isn't possible and you are already working out several hours a week? How do you work with the parameters you've been given?

Based on responses I've seen to past questions of this nature by others: Please do not make comments about my small size, BMI, or suggest I have an eating disorder. Those comments are not supportive or productive and have nothing to do with my question. I have been small all of my life and my natural frame is very healthy under 100 pounds. Where I am now, however, is not healthy. I have been living with my body for 38 years and I know it much better than you think you do from reading a few paragraphs about me. I am just looking for people who have similar experiences and might share some of their success stories. It takes guts to reach out for help like this, so please, positive answers only.

Replies

• Go4health9
    Go4health9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you comfortable with posting a picture?
  • UTLawGirl
    UTLawGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good question. I think so. I asked my fiance to do some "before" photos in the morning for motivation. So I can post one then.
  • UTLawGirl
    Options
    Strength training is a good suggestion. Thank you.

Usually I don't mind the slow progress, but the thought of being embarrassed of my body on my wedding day is weighing on me (pun only slightly intended). I don't want a "crash diet" or a magic pill, I am willing to put in the time and effort. But even pushing it to 1.5 lbs a month would make a monumental difference. I've never really reached out to a community like this before, so I'm hoping there is something I am missing that could be of benefit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Well, to lose weight you have to either eat less or burn more. I wouldn't want to eat less than 1200 calories either. So your only option is to exercise more.

However, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting. There is an article on this site that I read yesterday about that. If you don't have weights do push ups, chin ups, sit ups, squats and the like. This will help!
  • UTLawGirl
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well, to lose weight you have to either eat less or burn more. I wouldn't want to eat less than 1200 calories either. So your only option is to exercise more.

However, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I have not used the diary in a while (I am just now getting back into the routine) but this is a snapshot from an average day. This does not show my exercise (75 minutes of hot yoga) which burns 400-600 calories depending on which calculator you believe:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/utlawgirl?date=2017-02-06
  • UTLawGirl
    Options
    A note on weightlifting - while I do this myself, and think everyone who is physically able should do some form of strength training, and it can definitely help one get the body they want, it can also make the scale go up, so it is important to not freak out about that.

Oh yes, I totally understand that. Part of my "before" pictures will include measurements to I can have a better way to check my progress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    UTLawGirl wrote: »

I have not used the diary in a while (I am just now getting back into the routine) but this is a snapshot from an average day. This does not show my exercise (75 minutes of hot yoga) which burns 400-600 calories depending on which calculator you believe:

Are you weighing the olive oil? Your entry says 1 T, but I know sometimes people weigh a tablespoon's worth and use the T entry. Probably not weighing the apple won't make a big difference, but definitely weigh high calorie foods like oil, and might as well just get into the habit of weighing everything.

If you need convincing about this, someone will be along with the video that shows how much less accurate cups are than weighing.

Also, it is quite likely that you will have more success once you start logging scrupulously.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Are you weighing the olive oil? Your entry says 1 T, but I know sometimes people weigh a tablespoon's worth and use the T entry. Probably not weighing the apple won't make a big difference, but definitely weigh high calorie foods like oil, and might as well just get into the habit of weighing everything.

If you need convincing about this, someone will be along with the video that shows how much less accurate cups are than weighing.

Also, it is quite likely that you will have more success once you start logging scrupulously.

Happy to link it: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Do you have a food scale? If not get one, you will want to weigh ALL of your food that contains calories. This can be a big difference with no wiggle room left in the amount of calories you have to work with.

10 months will allow you to get a great start on doing recomp. Edited for reference: Skinnyfat is a term coined for someone that is under muscled and retains a higher body fat than desired).You will be able to take great advantage of building muscle being a newbie to strength training. Read up on it here..

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • UTLawGirl
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't really weigh for lunch, but getting a scale for home is a good idea.

When I am fully committed I am pretty religious about entering the data (or eat the same thing every day and know what I'm getting). Unfortunately, the 1-pound-a-month is when I am closely tracking my diet and exercising daily.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't really weigh for lunch, but getting a scale for home is a good idea.

When I am fully committed I am pretty religious about entering the data (or eat the same thing every day and know what I'm getting). Unfortunately, the 1-pound-a-month is when I am closely tracking my diet and exercising daily.

Do you eat out for lunch? Can you/do you meal prep your lunches?

If you want to make changes in weight/physique it will come down to precision in your calorie counting and exercise (strength training will make the most aesthetic changes)
  • UTLawGirl
    Options
    I have tried it both ways: Making a healthy veggie salad at home and walking down the street to a salad bar. I've found that I spend about the same amount of money, but I waste much less food at the salad bar. I also enjoy the break to walk a few blocks in the middle of the day.

I could be persuaded to go back to making my own (I make a mean and yummy salad) if it would make a difference. The ingredients (for the most part) are generally the same.