HIIT ideas for a runner?

Options
I run. I hate the elliptical. Bike is boring. I need to cross train though. What do you do for HIIT? Any good, free YouTube channels?
Eta: crossfit isn't my jam. Nor is OT. I like my own time and space at the gym

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't do HIIT. I do fartleks usually when I do speed Work or the odd race pace run.

HIIT isn't cross training though. You need walking/swimming/biking really for cross training
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Try Sprint 8. After a warmup of 2 minutes, complete 8 rounds of 30 seconds maximum sprinting effort followed by 90 seconds of walking recovery, then cool down for another 2 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.

Judge your ability for a max effort sprint before doing which you may be able to more safely accomplished with an incline.

By max, I mean MAX and that’s why you need the 90 seconds of walking recovery.

I did this workout once a week years ago outdoors doing hill sprints. Very tough.

Sprint 8, as described, is something I learned reading a book written by Phil Campbell.

Be safe, train smart and good luck.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Sprint, slow down, sprint, slow down, ...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    HIIT is not really cross-training. It’s working at max possible effort for very short periods of time (followed by a recovery period) and total time including rest periods is like 10-20 minutes. This is a really tough workout though - not really the kind of thing that cross-training usually is meant to be.

Sprints are great HIIT.

When I do sprints, I usually do a 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown. I need that kind of time to get warm enough to work at max effort without ripping something.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - I think you might be using the term HIIT to mean something different to actual HIIT.
    Maximal effort sprints would be HIIT for a runner.

Do you mean just non-maximal effort interval training or circuit training perhaps?

(I don't do HIIT as it's massively fatiguing and inappropriate for my training plan, I do a lot of interval training on a bike though, anywhere between 3 and 10min intervals depending on intensity.)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    A Tabata workout 8 rounds of 20 seconds max effort and 10 seconds recovery is probably HIIT at its extreme. Believe the research that used this 4 minute workout used sprints but burpees would be equally as challenging.

Not for the average Joe Blow fitness person.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing on cross training that can help with running. Just doing some random internet 'HIIT' program may or may not be beneficial. Doing something like Iron Strength will be without a doubt. Of course if you dislike your training you won't do it so find something else you enjoy. I sometimes do yoga, cycle alot, sometimes martial arts, iron strength, and lift (not all at the same time).
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Awesome suggestions and so knowledgeable, yall. I guess I mean HIIT as a way to increase endurance and pain threshold. I'm a long distance runner and would love to increase speed without increasing running days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is just an exercise pacing strategy. The classic HIIT definition is some form of max effort/easy effort cardio sequence. These days, trendy trainers seem to use it to refer to high-paced calisthenics, weight circuits, or "functional fitness" exercises (tire flips, sledge-hammering stuff, battle ropes, etc.).

In the general sense, any exercise that can be done at max effort can be part of a HIIT-paced workout. So, pick a workout you can tolerate. You've already ruled out cycling and crossfit. I like rowing, but getting the right kind of coaching/instruction to be effective at it (even just on machines) can be tough (many trainers do it wrong).

Don't do real HIIT more than once a week: It's exhausting, and not helpful fitness-wise to do many times a week. Personally, I'm a skeptic of high-paced weight circuits, calisthenics, or some functional fitness things, especially if one is new to that style of exercise at a slower pace: There's much more risk of bad form, therefore injuries.

Martial arts, ones that include sparring, are a good way to increase pain threshold. ;) Not a solo exercise, though. You could consider taking a few lessons to learn good striking/kicking form so you don't injure yourself, then working with a heavy bag. Ouch is available there, for sure.

Are you following a formal training program with your running, one that's aimed at the goal of increasing speed?

Getting stronger (i.e., strength training) increases ability to increase speed in other sports (I row, not run; strength training can help speed there).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    What does your training plan look like now? Or what are you doing for running now? How many days, miles/week, what’s the structure of your different runs?

Sprints may increase your pain tolerance or ability to endure suffering - but I don’t find the carryover great when it comes to an endurance event. The suffering at the end of a sprint is very different than the suffering in mile 24 of a marathon and I don’t prepare for or handle them the same way. YMMV of course.

There are loads of running workouts that you can do that can help your speed-but it depends on what you’re doing now.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions and so knowledgeable, yall. I guess I mean HIIT as a way to increase endurance and pain threshold. I'm a long distance runner and would love to increase speed without increasing running days.

If you figure out how to do that write a book. I'll buy it. :D
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Increasing endurance is driven by your running volume.

With cross training, it's about understanding what you're wanting to achieve from it; injury resilience, improved or sustained CV, helping running form, balance?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Interval sprints as suggested but also incline sprints.
  • RunnerGirl238
    Options

Increasing endurance is driven by your running volume.

With cross training, it's about understanding what you're wanting to achieve from it; injury resilience, improved or sustained CV, helping running form, balance?

I think improved and sustained CV. I do weight train...I would love to knock time off my 5k too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    In that case, cycling or swimming.

Reducing 5K time depends on your current mileage and how that's split up over the week.
  • RunnerGirl238
    Options
    And losing the last 10-15. Less weight = faster timed. If I could break 26:00, I would die.
  • Melissaharkins1
    Melissaharkins1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and the past year turned to HIIT. I find the only HIIT I can do is 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off or straight through, Anything longer then 10 second rest, I get bored. The life of a runner is the simple fact we have one speed and that is GO! Try Millionaire Hoy! He is paid subscription but his workouts are amazing! Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    In that case, cycling or swimming.

Reducing 5K time depends on your current mileage and how that's split up over the week.

Second this. I lean towards cycling personally because I think it's a lot of fun. But it's a great low impact way to stress your cardiovascular system.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    A Tabata workout 8 rounds of 20 seconds max effort and 10 seconds recovery is probably HIIT at its extreme. Believe the research that used this 4 minute workout used sprints but burpees would be equally as challenging.
    This.

A while back I would pick a "landmark" in my local park (a bench usually), then I would sprint for 20 seconds, and then spend 10 seconds recovering, and marking where I'd run to. Then 20 seconds sprinting back to the landmark, and repeat 3 more times, trying to get as close to my original mark as possible on the way out, spending 10 seconds getting ready to set off from my mark, and then 20 sprinting back...

Not especially pleasant to be honest.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In the general sense, any exercise that can be done at max effort can be part of a HIIT-paced workout. So, pick a workout you can tolerate. You've already ruled out cycling and crossfit. I like rowing, but getting the right kind of coaching/instruction to be effective at it (even just on machines) can be tough (many trainers do it wrong)... There's much more risk of bad form, therefore injuries.
    I agree with all of this.

I have 30 mins of gym access a day, and on an average of 2 days part of my workout will be 5 rounds of 30 seconds rowing at 1:30.00 splits or lower, interspersed with 30 seconds rest. Again, being HIIT, it's not very enjoyable. And I definitely agree about the higher risk of injury. I have pulled muscles in my back, and damaged my sciatic nerve doing this, and so I am always sure to be fully focused and braced throughout the routine.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I run. I hate the elliptical. Bike is boring. I need to cross train though. What do you do for HIIT? Any good, free YouTube channels?
    Eta: crossfit isn't my jam. Nor is OT. I like my own time and space at the gym

HIIT:
    • replace one of your other runs with a speedwork run (intervals) - running training plans you can find online will have examples.

cross-training:
    • pick up a strength training routine. There's a list of them in the Bodybuilding forum sticky posts.
    • cycling (if weather allows, and assuming "bike is boring" refers to the hampster wheels in the gym)