Is keto actually worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• txvanessa
    txvanessa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It’s hard. I lost 8lbs in the 2 weeks that I did it but I think it was water weight. It all came back when I ate normal again. It’s too restrictive for me personally. Majority of food has carbs lol. I’m using this app to calorie count!! 1200 a day.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I have some friends who are all-in on the keto thing. They love it & have gotten some phenomenal results.

Me, on the other hand...I like carbs. I enjoy my favorite carb-y foods (including rice, pasta, bread, fruit...) and still lose weight etc. I don't want to be restricted to 20g of total carbs per day. Nope. I prefer a better-balanced approach. But to each their own. If it works for you, roll with it!
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    You have to find whatever works FOR YOU. Keto could be it, or maybe just calorie counting will work. You'll never know until you give it a chance. Try something for a month. Just one month, give whatever diet you choose a chance. If after that month, you're not feeling it... switch it up. Don't go back to old ways, try something different and keep going until you find a sustainable diet that works for you.

I've been keto for 6m now (and down 40lbs) and it's a good fit for me. I work well with restrictive diets, especially this one b/c there are keto versions of some comfort foods that helped me at the beginning when I was craving junk food. Plus eating this way and eating good fats helps me feel satisfied. Portion control diets don't work for me. I get a taste of a bad food, I want it all and my body wants it all. Plus I could eat and eat and eat junk food and never feel full b/c my body starts cravings it more and more.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    From my completely personal experience, I HATED it. It was way too restrictive for me, and triggered my binge eating disorder.<< not saying this is a typical reaction, I have a history of disordered eating, just giving you my experience. Woo if you must.

I *did* lose weight on it, but when I went back to my MFP logs from then, I was eating like 1,000-1,200 calories a day, so duh, of course I lose weight.

Though I never discount it completely, because I have seen a lot of people do it successfully, so that's really your choice. I would make a sample meal plan with all super low carb foods, see how many net carbs it is, and figure out if it's something that is sustainable long-term for you.

Unless you can see yourself eating that way for the rest of your life, it's pointless.

I am actually struggling with balemia and binge eating so I think you are right just not for me
  • meeper123
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I tried it for six weeks in hope of getting some relief for my migraines. It was a dismal failure in every way possible.

For me.

Others have different experience with it, and that's great. Ultimately, I think any person who sticks with weight loss/maintenance over the long haul ends up creating their own customized eating plan after coming to know what works for them.

You mean maybe a cutomized plan like this one? ;)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

(shameless plug! ;) ).

I can vouch for this plan :smiley:

That's actually perfect I will do it
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It works for the same reason any other eating plan does:
    CI < CO

As for the macros, the plan was designed for children with epilepsy (to control their seizures), and they have to work closely with their health care team to not do further damage.

If you have a disorder that diet could help, and you're working with your doctor and dietitian, give it a try. Maybe it will help you.
    Otherwise, why put your body through the risk?

Also think about how you will get back to normal eating. Instead of learning healthy patterns from the first, now you're having to unlearn 2 bad eating habits.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    It works for the same reason any other eating plan does:
    CI < CO

As for the macros, the plan was designed for children with epilepsy (to control their seizures), and they have to work closely with their health care team to not do further damage.

If you have a disorder that diet could help, and you're working with your doctor and dietitian, give it a try. Maybe it will help you.
    Otherwise, why put your body through the risk?

Also think about how you will get back to normal eating. Instead of learning healthy patterns from the first, now you're having to unlearn 2 bad eating habits.

The Keto diet has actually existed for centuries but it was epilepsy that showed the possible health benefits. Keto for epileptics is often very strict, with a 3:1 or 4:1 fat to protein and carbs ratio. It tends to be high in vegetable oils and low in meat in order to restrict protein. It is also calorie restricted which tends to impact epileptic children's growth.

A typical ketogenic diet mainly restricts carbs to under 50g. Protein is not limited and is most often moderate. A well formulated ketogenic diet will usually have a lot of whole foods and natural fats - a healthy diet.

But it sounds as though the OP does not feel it would suit them anyways. :)
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Sarah wrote:
    I used to be able to lose weight by counting calories but now I have a disease where I will be on steroids daily for the rest of my life.
    And calorie counting simply does not work. I ate 1300 for 2 months and didn't lose 1lb. 2 months ago I started keto. I have lost almost 25lbs!
    Not enough information.
    1 - Was the type of food all that changed? (Same exercise, same calorie intake, etc.)
    2 - How many calories have you been eating in the last 2 months, during keto?
    I'm betting it's below 1300 because you're losing weight.

Yes the food is all the changed. I don't exercise at all as I can't with my disease. I was eating 1300 a day before and I mostly eat 1300 a day now, though I do eat up to 1500 some days now.

Believe me, I have always used calorie counting in the past with great results. But since starting on steroids it simply stopped working. A lot of people with my disease do low carb or keto to help with weight loss because they find calorie counting doesn't work anymore.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I dont really have any major medical problems other than migraines