Help! DIY sauce and condiment recipes using only fresh ingredients (allergy issues)

Options

Replies

• brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You don't need eggs to make mayo. You can replace the eggs with boiled potatoes and carrots. Then for example spice it up with salt, lemon juice, raw/roasted garlic & fresh herbs chopped (literally anyone will do). And maybe add some chopped chives, green onions..

You can also make creamy avocado sauce: avocado, lemon juice, salt, a lot of cilantro/parseley and jalapeños, everything goes in the blender (it's important to use a blender instead of chopping up the cilantro because you need the leaves to release the water so the avocado gets that creamy texture). This sauce is great for potato salad, for example, and many other cold dishes such as turkey leftovers.

Meat/vegetable stock is really easy to make and can be freezed in portions. There are hundreds of recipes out there. With the stock you can make gravy, if you can have some type of flour, or stock reductions with or without wine (literally leave the stock boiling until there's almost no more water, if the stock had some type of meat it will become thick, specially if it had bones).

Also any kind of tomato based sauce can be made solely with fresh ingredients: bolognese, pomarola, filetto.. And these can be easily conserved in jars if you have a dark/cold room or in the freezer.

If you guys can have coconut milk you can make wonders with it (all kinds of curry, peanut sauce, etc). If you can't have the industrial one you can make it with fresh coconut, but honestly it takes some work. Maybe for some special occasions.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You might look at low sodium cookbooks since they usually avoid most processed foods. I have some from The American Heart Association and they have sauce and condiment recipes made from scratch.

https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/converting-fresh-herbs-to-dried-ratios/

If you can have citrus you might use fresh lemon or lime juice instead of vinegar to add flavor.
    Fresh ginger, peppers, radishes, mustard could add a kick to dishes.

https://honest-food.net/how-to-make-mustard-2/

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks, giys! I never would have thought to use potatoes foe a sauce base, or low sodium sites for recipes- I’ll check it out!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Also classic french cooked sauces such as hollandaise, bearnaise, and beurre blanc, veloute.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Are butter, sour cream, and yogurt "fresh" ingredients by your definition, or do you need recipes starting with cream and milk to make those?

Is commercially bottled olive oil "fresh," you could make your own mayo and mayo-based condiments starting with oil and eggs? What about commercially bottled vinegar?
    So you can make mayo (it's a lot less labor intensive than the things you describe -- at its most basic, it's just drizzling oil into beaten egg yolk while whisking (or preferably in a blender or food processor), although it may taste better with the addition of small amounts of lemon juice, salt, and finely ground mustard seed (if you grow mustard greens and let them go to seed and then let the seeds dry, that doesn't sound too labor intensive compared to other stuff you do).

It sounds like you don't do dairy at all?

Oh, sorry I missed your previous reply! :-)

Mayo, yes, I think I have all the ingredients we can do (I have mustard greens I do grow just for the seeds, LOL, so that would work. Do the same for coriander. ^_^). I was trying to remember why I have not done mayo before - does one have to use raw eggs, or is it cooked? We could probably track down some safe raw eggs, for the folks in the house that can use them. Thanks!

Dairy - we don't do much. Half the family can't eat dairy, while only one member of the family has issues with eggs. But I DO have some family that can do dairy - they can do plain yogurt or milk or butter (those two are less sensitive, so I can even buy it sometimes, woo hoo), so if you have any dairy ideas, I'd be happy to check them out!

Use pasteurized eggs. There are a couple brands out there. They are just eggs that are washed and heat-treated, so the white gets foggy, but still acts the same as a regular raw egg.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    If the dairy problem is lactose intolerance, they might be able to eat most cheeses and yoghurt, as the bacteria that made the yoghurt/cheese has already digested the lactose.

Sadly, true dairy allergy, so our 'no dairy' family members can't have it at all. :-(

Have you checked out the new "A2" milk that is out there? It has nothing to do with lactose but a protein in the milk that was eliminated that many people have issues with. Not sure if it will work, but This WikiArticle explains it if that helps.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Are butter, sour cream, and yogurt "fresh" ingredients by your definition, or do you need recipes starting with cream and milk to make those?

Is commercially bottled olive oil "fresh," you could make your own mayo and mayo-based condiments starting with oil and eggs? What about commercially bottled vinegar?
    So you can make mayo (it's a lot less labor intensive than the things you describe -- at its most basic, it's just drizzling oil into beaten egg yolk while whisking (or preferably in a blender or food processor), although it may taste better with the addition of small amounts of lemon juice, salt, and finely ground mustard seed (if you grow mustard greens and let them go to seed and then let the seeds dry, that doesn't sound too labor intensive compared to other stuff you do).

Mayo, yes, I think I have all the ingredients we can do (I have mustard greens I do grow just for the seeds, LOL, so that would work. Do the same for coriander. ^_^). I was trying to remember why I have not done mayo before - does one have to use raw eggs, or is it cooked? We could probably track down some safe raw eggs, for the folks in the house that can use them. Thanks!

Dairy - we don't do much. Half the family can't eat dairy, while only one member of the family has issues with eggs. But I DO have some family that can do dairy - they can do plain yogurt or milk or butter (those two are less sensitive, so I can even buy it sometimes, woo hoo), so if you have any dairy ideas, I'd be happy to check them out!

Use pasteurized eggs. There are a couple brands out there. They are just eggs that are washed and heat-treated, so the white gets foggy, but still acts the same as a regular raw egg.

If you want to pasteurize your own eggs at home, you can sous vide them in the shell at 135F for 30 minutes. Chill, then store in the fridge. Sous vide machines are getting cheaper and cheaper nowadays. You can pick one up for around $60 but if you don't want to buy one, you can just use a plastic cooler with 135F water. You'll just have to watch the temp during the 30 minutes and add more hot water as necessary to keep it at 135F.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »

If you want to pasteurize your own eggs at home, you can sous vide them in the shell at 135F for 30 minutes. Chill, then store in the fridge. Sous vide machines are getting cheaper and cheaper nowadays. You can pick one up for around $60 but if you don't want to buy one, you can just use a plastic cooler with 135F water. You'll just have to watch the temp during the 30 minutes and add more hot water as necessary to keep it at 135F.

This is what I was going to suggest -- well, to pasteurize the eggs yourself. I've seen directions that do not require a sous vide set-up, just careful control of the water temperature. If you already have a candy thermometer, no need to invest in anything new.
  • shaumom
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    If the dairy problem is lactose intolerance, they might be able to eat most cheeses and yoghurt, as the bacteria that made the yoghurt/cheese has already digested the lactose.

Sadly, true dairy allergy, so our 'no dairy' family members can't have it at all. :-(

Have you checked out the new "A2" milk that is out there? It has nothing to do with lactose but a protein in the milk that was eliminated that many people have issues with. Not sure if it will work, but This WikiArticle explains it if that helps.

Thanks for the info. that would not work for me, sadly, but I didn't even know that was a thing, and I have many friends who can't have milk who might be able to check it out. thanks. :-)
  • shaumom
    Options
    I had no idea we could pasteurize our own eggs. that is so cool - thanks!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My son couldn’t have MSG or tomatoes. I missed the sauces most of all. So I got good at making my own.

You are likely missing the caramelization that comes from long, slow cooking. If you have a slow cooker you can do this from scratch.

Make a batch of caramelized onions. If there is a dairy allergy in the house use oil instead.

Make your own stock after cooking a roast (any meat). Put the bones back in the oven and get them nice and toasted. Then put the bones in the slow cooker with water, pepper and spices. Let that cook down all day. Chill and skim off the fat.

The third indispensable skill is learning how to reduce a sauce.

• shaumom
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You are likely missing the caramelization that comes from long, slow cooking. If you have a slow cooker you can do this from scratch.

Make a batch of caramelized onions. If there is a dairy allergy in the house use oil instead.

Make your own stock after cooking a roast (any meat). Put the bones back in the oven and get them nice and toasted. Then put the bones in the slow cooker with water, pepper and spices. Let that cook down all day. Chill and skim off the fat.

I think I need to improve my skills in some of these areas, definitely. :-)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I deliberately picked techniques that take time, not skill. The slow cooker is the key.

Reduced sauces do take watching over but wow, what an improvement over starch thickened sauces.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    When I make a batch of stock or flavour enhancers I freeze it in ice cube trays. That way it doesn’t go bad mouldering in the back of the fridge and is available whenever I need it.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Caramelized onions.

https://pin.it/cstw3x65pcm7xh
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Making a brown roux. This keeps very well and simplifies thickening sauces and stews.

https://theculinarycook.com/roux-what-it-is-how-to-use-it/
  • shaumom
    Options
    I deliberately picked techniques that take time, not skill. The slow cooker is the key.

Reduced sauces do take watching over but wow, what an improvement over starch thickened sauces.

Thanks. I like the carmelized onions a lot - I will see if I can use oil for them; they look awesome. Roux I'll have to see - when all the allergies showed up, we lost dairy (although I see that oil is sometimes used, so that's good!) and flour, both. But i can do potato starch if I make it myself, and that link had a lot of information that might enable me to make one that would be very useful. Thank you. :-)
  • shaumom
    Options

I just wanted to say thank you again for mentioning this. I have reduced sauces for a long time, but they don't always turn out well, and reading your comment, I finally went and hunted down information on it and found out tons of information on how to do it better, so I'm pretty excited. All thanks to this comment. :-)
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!!
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    BBQ Sauce:
    Soak 3-5 medjool dates in water overnight
    Soak 1-1.5 cups sundried tomatoes in water overnight
    Drain water, put dates and dried tomatoes in blender with 1/4 cup fresh tomatoes, 1 tsp chipotle powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and any other spices or herbs you might want, and blend.