Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Today, I begin the decluttering of my clothing, I have kept clothes in bins and even in my closet that in reality I will probably never wear again because I will probably not get to that size again for a few years and they won't be in style any longer anyway. I need to just LET GO. My goal is to try on every single item. If I don't love it or it doesn't fit, it gets donated or tossed. At the end of this declutter session, there should only be clothes in my closet and my dresser that I love and feel good in when I wear them.

This is most likely going to be pretty painful, but it's time to get honest with myself and get rid of the old and start over new.

Just keep in mind that when you get to that size, you'll deserve new clothes. :)

Ohhh! Good way to think about it! Heck yeah! I will... :mrgreen:

I have a feeling when I get done with this, I will have to go to the store and buy more now because I truly don't have much that fits me and is actually comfortable. I feel that I should have at least 5 outfits for work that I feel good in right now the way I am. But is that rewarding myself for gaining weight? IDK...I feel it has more to do with having some self-confidence. :confused:

You are celebrating who you are at this moment. Its a great gift and does inspire confidence.

Words.of.wisdom.and.LIFE.

Super, mega, ultra BOOM!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I cleaned off my fake kitchen island this morning. I have things on the couch, from it, have to figure out where to put them. If they are still there this weekend, out they go. Happy New Year, we can do this!

Hahahahaha, Snoo you crack me up "fake kitchen island" I just love me some you o:) YAY you and we can/WILL do this in our own sweet time-slowly but showly!

Its attached to the wall, so in reality its a peninsula. LOL!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I cleaned off my fake kitchen island this morning. I have things on the couch, from it, have to figure out where to put them. If they are still there this weekend, out they go. Happy New Year, we can do this!

Hahahahaha, Snoo you crack me up "fake kitchen island" I just love me some you o:) YAY you and we can/WILL do this in our own sweet time-slowly but showly!

Its attached to the wall, so in reality its a peninsula. LOL!

:D:D:D I see what ya cha doing there...."island "peninsula" hahahahaha

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

What i am interested in is how you guys deal with toxic pity party type people. Dont want help with a solution just want to moan. This is what i want to deal with this year. I am someone who can listen and listen until my ears are chewed off and this makes it worst. This is not someone i can ignore.

I had a "friend" who was an energy zapper...she sucked the life out of me with her negativity!!! I finally let her know that her negativity was affecting my struggle with depression. I told her I had been beginning to feel really depressed again & was reading an article that highlighted how our thoughts & what we focus on affect our mood & negativity feeds depression SO I told her that I needed to keep things on a positive note & specified topics that I was no longer willing to discuss. Long story short I stopped hearing from her. Initially her contact became irregular & it got to the point where she stopped texting & calling altogether. Once I eliminated the negative, she had nothing left to talk about. She ended up attaching herself to someone else who she could blast her negativity at. That person is also a Negative Nelly so they can bring each other down to their hearts' content. I am FREE......... ;)

I agree that you need to be honest with her & establish & enforce some boundaries around what you are willing to listen to...I understand how frustrating it is to listen to someone talk about the same ol', same ol' knowing that they have NO intention of actually doing anything about it. I listened to her go on & on and got to the point where I stopped participating in the conversation because she didn't want to change anything, she just wanted to hear herself talk...life's too short and I can spend my energy productively instead of going down the same dead end street to Nowheresville!!!!!!

I have established the same boundaries with another person who I no longer hear from either....that is ok with me. If a person is a loyal friend, they don't jump ship because you won't let them take advantage of you!! True friends, DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE of you!!!! So be prepared that your "friend" may hit the road if she isn't really a friend....I suppose you can take a chance & find out what kind of friend she is.

I am there for my friends, but I'm not going to be a doormat for pseudo-friends who have an agenda and it's all about them...no thank you! Friendship is a give & take on BOTH sides, never one-sided!! I've spent too many years of my life allowing people to walk on me cause I was afraid to take care of MYSELF!! To busy taking care of their feelings & ignoring my own...NO MORE!!!

I know it's difficult, but you will feel liberated when you take your stand. Like Dr. Phil has said, "We teach people how to treat us!!" Sounds like your "friend" needs a little lesson. Hoping the best for you....please let us know how things work out.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I started to radically clean up my life 2 years ago.

- first I got rid of all those books I was never going to read again. (That's a good 50 kg out of my life. That much less weighting me down). Because, let's get honest, they were just collecting dust on my shelves, in my closet, under my bed, piled up against the wall. Pretty much in any free space there were books. I was feeling guilty for neglecting them so badly. So I let them go.

- next I got rid of all those pretty clothes from when I was slim and thin. (that's another 50 kg out of my life. That much less weighting me down.) Because, let's get honest, they were just getting moldy in boxes and in the back of my closet. Pretty much in any free space not taken up by books. I was feeling guilty for having failed so badly at taking care of myself that I was 50kg overweight from when I fit into them (a very brief period of my life.) So I let them go.

- next I got rid of all those beautiful (and some not so beautiful) collectibles I was given through out my life. (that's another 50 kg out of my life. That much less weighting me down.) Because, let's get honest, they were just collecting dust and chiding me for not honoring them better. Someone went through the trouble of giving them to me, and I considered them more as interlopers that had no place in my life. I was feeling guilty for not loving them better. So I let them go.

- next I got rid of all those fantasy mes that were never going to be me. (That's a good 50 kg out of my life. That much less weighting me down). Because, let's get honest, I am never going to be a world class seamstress. Or painter. Or Scrapbooker. Or a weekend skier. I was feeling guilty for all those supplies and all that equipment laying around reminding me of the person I thought I wanted to be. So I let them go.

- next I got rid of all those toxic relationships that were slowly killing me (That's several times 50 kg out of my life. That much less weighting me down). Because, let's get honest, I was never going to get anything useful out of those. First and foremost my former boss and employer. Blood sucking leeches that were killing my by the gram. I was feeling guilty for not being the person who could deal with all the crap they kept on throwing at me. So I let them go.

- next (together with those toxic relationships) I got rid of the alcohol (that's 1.5 kg I'm not going to lose. That much more life quality not slipping through my fingers). Because, let's get honest, I do not want to divorce from my liver. I happen to like having it detox my body and metabolize fat and carbs. I was feeling guilty for not taking better care of myself. So I let it go.

- next I got rid of foods I do not like. (that's another 35 kg out of my life. That much less weighting me down.) Because, let's get honest, I wasn't going to eat them for that little rest of forever granted to me, so I was going to fail again and again at losing and maintaining that loss. I thought I had to eat a certain way to be healthy - a way that wasn't keeping my satiated (mentally and physically). I also got rid of excessive serving sizes and every day desserts (Still have that dessert 2-3 times a week now :wink: ). Things that weren't painful to me. I've let them go, and I'm healthier for it. I'm down 35 kg and slowly inching closer to my goal of -50 kg.

By cleaning up my life and figuring out for myself how I wanted to live my life (not how society wanted me to live my life. Or my parents. Or my siblings. Or my friends. Or all those people I know), I finally found the mental reserves to also take care of my health and lose the weight I need to lose to get my health in order.

W <3 W Reading your post was like lovely and refreshing stroll thru a super beautiful place filled with wonderful sunshine and fabulous fresh air for/to me! What an eye-opening/thought provoking, delightful and COOL AND FUN post you've shared..I LOVE IT. You've also inspired me to get rid of even more books (that I've already read and won't be reading again--BOOM)!

Thank you ever so VERY much for taking the time and care to reply...YOU ROCK, period. <3o:)<3

Thank you :smile:

I've been keeping a journal logging my 'decluttering process'. On the first page I listed what my goals were and on the following pages I'm documenting my progress. Sometimes, like the post I wrote, I make a summary to myself to see what I have already achieved. It makes the progress seem more real, especially on days when, mentally, I'm not so well. That job I cut out of my life did a number on me and I'm still working on getting myself back to where I want to be.

Thanks for the journal idea. I tried to start decluttering this weekend and felt like didn’t make enough process. I got tired and depressed so I stopped. I am now willing to try again.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Over the past few days I got rid of a box of books...some beloved!! I am also a book person so it was difficult...one of my most loved books was The Glass Castle, but I've already read it 3 times AND saw the movie twice...I think I can move on now. Plus my place is 400 sq ft...not much room to be hanging on to things. I also went through & recycled lots of magazines I've been hanging on to cause there are articles in them that I'm interested in...time to move on...LET IT GO!!

OK, so the upside of me doing this is that while I was going through some magazines in a drawer in my living room side table, I found a card from one of the above friends I no longer see, and there was $40.00 in it for a ticket for a play I had bought her way back when....she must have shoved it in the drawer when she was here one time figuring I'd find it...and I DID!!! How many months later...woohoo!

I AM beginning to declutter....now I just have to get a rather large box to put all my knicky-knacks that are shoved in my armoire...but at least they are hidden & the top of it is bare as a baby's bottom...NAKED I tell you! Under my bed is getting cleared out also...I have to be creative with storage here. I have a few other areas to tackle...but it's a start....

Thank you @NewLIFEstyle4ME for this thread!! I just stumbled on it & am really glad cause I'm getting motivated!!!
  • snoo61
    Options
    What a fabulous way to start weight blastification progress starting 01/01/2019

One of my daughters stopped by today and she had the CUTEST coat on. I asked her if I could try it on (background: EVERYONE in my entire family is skinny as rails, I've ALWAYS been the ONLY fat/overweight/obese person in my ENTIRE family-our children never saw me "normal/healthy" size for all of their lives. For more than 20 years I've been fat--I FINALLY "match" everyone in my family--not as skinny as them (nor do I want to be, I'm aiming at a size 7/8 no smaller), but I'm FINALLY at a healthy/much slimmer and trimmer weight and no longer obese/overweight. I momentarily hesitated to ask to try the coat on, knowing that even though I've lost a LOT of weight, kinda, ummmm, "leary" of asking, thinking because she's so skinny, it won't fit, but I kicked that "fear" in the butt and asked....here's the results:

hncwslsc3kf7.jpg
    n1gnoxk70x7g.jpg
    0yfa0cj0nrlf.jpg
    id2zi17nfdly.jpg

p2c0khbvca5y.jpg
    AND BEST PIC OF ALL....

Now granted, this coat fits baggy/swing coat on her BUT I got my tail into a size small coat and COULD ZIP IT ALL THE WAY UP. This time last year, I couldn't even get my arm into this coat, let alone zip it up--YAY!!! What a GREAT way to start 2019!!!!! BOOM!

What a fantastic morale boost! I love that you blasted the fear out the door. Good for you my friend!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    What a fabulous way to start weight blastification progress starting 01/01/2019

One of my daughters stopped by today and she had the CUTEST coat on. I asked her if I could try it on (background: EVERYONE in my entire family is skinny as rails, I've ALWAYS been the ONLY fat/overweight/obese person in my ENTIRE family-our children never saw me "normal/healthy" size for all of their lives. For more than 20 years I've been fat--I FINALLY "match" everyone in my family--not as skinny as them (nor do I want to be, I'm aiming at a size 7/8 no smaller), but I'm FINALLY at a healthy/much slimmer and trimmer weight and no longer obese/overweight. I momentarily hesitated to ask to try the coat on, knowing that even though I've lost a LOT of weight, kinda, ummmm, "leary" of asking, thinking because she's so skinny, it won't fit, but I kicked that "fear" in the butt and asked....here's the results:

hncwslsc3kf7.jpg
    n1gnoxk70x7g.jpg
    0yfa0cj0nrlf.jpg
    id2zi17nfdly.jpg

p2c0khbvca5y.jpg
    AND BEST PIC OF ALL....

Now granted, this coat fits baggy/swing coat on her BUT I got my tail into a size small coat and COULD ZIP IT ALL THE WAY UP. This time last year, I couldn't even get my arm into this coat, let alone zip it up--YAY!!! What a GREAT way to start 2019!!!!! BOOM!

What a fantastic morale boost! I love that you blasted the fear out the door. Good for you my friend!

Thanks my Snoo <3
    Hurry and Fear, absolute ENEMIES of mine, forevermore--hmmmph!
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Amen to getting rid if the toxic people in our lives!
    I work with a highly toxic person that brings me down daily.
    I'm not sure how to deal with it - the only way I can think of is to find a new job and let her fester.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Amen to getting rid if the toxic people in our lives!
    I work with a highly toxic person that brings me down daily.
    I'm not sure how to deal with it - the only way I can think of is to find a new job and let her fester.

Yes, that is a tough one. When you have to deal with toxic people on a daily basis & have little control over your exposure to them...BUT, this could be practice for you in setting up some boundaries with her. It can begin by just paying attention to your interaction with this person & LISTEN to your body...what are the gut reactions you get to her behavior...THAT alone will give you an indication what buttons she is pushing & how you react to that is also telling you something about yourself. Then you can figure out how to change YOUR reaction.

There is a TON of stuff on YouTube on how to deal with toxic people so that would be my suggestion to check that out. Even just learning about the effect that these kind of people can have on us is helpful because it shifts the focus on THEIR behavior...and can help you to learn how to deal with her & decrease your stress level. AND it is supportive knowing your are in good company in your attempts to cope.

You could get a new job BUT learning how to deal with these types (because THEY are EVERYWHERE) is your best defense going forward. You may be able to get away from her, but there will be someone just like her, or worse, around the corner. Hoping the best for you.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    This information is for those of you that are in "declutting mood" after the holidays. Lets make it worthy and rewarding for others as well.

Where To Donate Used Christmas Cards & Greeting Cards 9https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/donate-used-christmas-cards.html0

Charities That Collect Used Christmas Cards | LoveToKnow (https://charity.lovetoknow.com/Charities_that_Collect_Used...)

If your are interested in donating the front of your used Christmas cards to the center, give them a call at (321) 313-9591. Age UK Volunteers upcycle the donated cards they receive in order to make new cards to send to their members, who are people ages 55+ in need of services and health resources.
    Charity Holiday Card · Salvation Army Pick Up

Donate to St./ Jude's Ranch for Children: (https://stjudesranch.org/recycled-card-program/)

"We are currently updating our recycled card program to make it easier for you to support St. Jude’s Ranch for Children in our effort to provide teens with life and work skills. The NEW and improved program will be unveiled soon. In the meantime:
    Please SEND (front only) of your recycled cards (except for Hallmark, American Greetings or Disney) to: St. Jude’s Ranch for Children, 100 St. Jude’s St., Boulder City, NV 89005
    You can also SUPPORT our programs which help children and youth break the cycle of abuse, abandonment and neglect. Thank you!
    "
  • snoo61
    Options
    nooie19 wrote: »
    Don’t have any success stories yet, but I am newly motivated to do some clutter control while still on vacation

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is an excellent book about getting rid of clutter. And she gives great advice about folding clothes neatly. The author can be a little too woo-woo for some, but I like her advice to openly keep things that bring you joy. It’s time to rid myself of joyless, droopy underpants that are too big.

It is interesting how often the feeling of tidying up is equated with the feeling of losing weight.

Not sure if the show is new (and if someone has already mentioned it I apologize), but just today on Netflix there is a Marie Kondo show that popped up for me called “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo.” I can’t wait to watch it! I’m in the USA (I know Netflix has varying offerings by country).

The book was very helpful for me, I declutted a TON of things after I read the book, though I admit I stopped when it came to sentimental items. :neutral: I need to work on that. I still ask myself when decluttering, does this spark joy?

Also funny, I just bought new underpants! I know, TMI. Turns out, after losing 50+ pounds, you might need new undergarments. 😆

It's a new show, just heard about it today. I'm planning to check it out. :smile:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Ohhhhh, I LOVE this, OUR thread so much! Thanks to everyone for your much wanted/needed and just terrific replies--WOW, you guys are just the BEST, period.
    <3o:)<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Someone posted a link to a declutter site a while ago. Its 15 minutes a day and gets every part of your house. I am doing it. Today is clean the sink area. Not under the sink. It took me 17 minutes, but I don't have a lot of stuff in that area. I will say, behind the faucet was disgusting. I will do better! I also need a new potato scrubber.

Go girlfriend, you're a winner, period. o:)<3o:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!