Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited October 2018
    Awesome post!

I am going through the same... 6 months ago I started looking at my finances, my overflowing closet, my cluttered house and the pantry.... Realized that I live a life of EXCESS and it shows. I started attacking my finances first, I had a plan. I started de-cluttering, and haven't looked back. I minimized my spending, have paid off almost all of my debt, started a morning routine that I am proud of, and have created a side business for myself. Last weekend I went over to a friends house and helped her de-clutter her closet!

I am, by no definition, a minimalist. But I am working towards living within my means. Only having what brings purpose and joy to my life and getting out of the rut that my life in excess has created for me.

Stay strong on your journey and thank you for sharing!

@SoManyCookies (LOVE your user name <3 ) But I mega LOVE your post even more! Being and/or targeting and destroying debt is a HUGE and WONDERFUL part of decluttering. Being debt-free is very much akin to being clutter free and weight blastification as well (it may be an up hill battle and hard, but NOT impossible and YAY YOU for accomplishing and making this a priority in your power-filled life) WOW, that is just so very excellent. For you to DARE to even begin to L@@K at your finances (as you LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK at the clutter in your home and DARE to do something about it is so utterly powerful and inspirational--you ROCK, period.

I'm also not a 100% minimalist either--but I now live a life of less "CAN" be more in general and how utterly lovely it is to live in a spacious and clean environment, compared to LOADS of multitudes of "STUFF" and excess everywhere (inside my heart, mind and body and my outer environment--I LOVE IT and living/thinking/being/doing it this way--so much less stress and mess and UGH! This adventure of LET IT GO and DON'T LOOK BACK has taught me that obsession/compulsion/being "driven" to be or do and be labeled/label myself/put myself in a box as a ANYTHING is a sneaky ole trap that "tricked and held me captive for years and that I hate and want no part of. I REFUSE to even be called a "Christian" because of the "labels and connotation that "label" brings-I call myself what the bible calls me...a saint (small s). I HATE labels No more ALL or NOTHING business for me and NO HURRY UP either--those days are OVER and I'm so GLAD they are.

What a tremendous contribution you have made to this thread, thank you ever so very much--you first class winner and ALL time champion YOU=BOOM!!!!! <3o:)<3

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    NewLIFEstyle4ME
    lost 1.8 lbs since last weighing in! Newlifestyle4me's lost 64 lbs so far.

17500697.png

qqs3lm6pjkib.jpg

This is the first time in 24 days the scale has moved downward. I LOVE so-called "stalls" because they keep me humble AND help teach me to love and embrace patience. Patience is so powerful and beautiful. Please gang, I want to literally beg you (and me) NOT to give y/ourselves over to fretting/worrying/even meditating on what the scale is or is not doing. As you can see from my posts, the scale is NOT the be all to end all in this business of weight blastification, it's just NOT. That said...BOOM! I'm about 1.8lbs (or so) away from meeting my 6+ years LONG goal of 153-154lbs (or so-called high end of BMI "average" weight--no longer obese NOR overweight). How humbling and amazing--mega YAY! o:)o:)<3o:)o:)

WAY TO GO!!! In both the Non-scale and scale victories!!! Also learning my lesson in patience and worrying recently. I heard the phrase, "Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair, gives you something to do but wont get you anywhere" Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us! And again Way to gooo!!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,154 Member
    edited November 2018
    Do you ever find yourself decluttering the same area or rooms? I can organize and clean a room and then a month later, it looks cluttered again. What a time waster. I need to figure this thing out.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,889 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Do you ever find yourself decluttering the same area or rooms? I can organize and clean a room and then a month later, it looks cluttered again. What a time waster. I need to figure this thing out.

If you don't clear up as you go along this happens. I clean my bathroom sink each morning, otherwise it gets grotty really quickly, especially as Hubster doesn't seem to realise it needs cleaned. Lol!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Awesome post!

I am going through the same... 6 months ago I started looking at my finances, my overflowing closet, my cluttered house and the pantry.... Realized that I live a life of EXCESS and it shows. I started attacking my finances first, I had a plan. I started de-cluttering, and haven't looked back. I minimized my spending, have paid off almost all of my debt, started a morning routine that I am proud of, and have created a side business for myself. Last weekend I went over to a friends house and helped her de-clutter her closet!

I am, by no definition, a minimalist. But I am working towards living within my means. Only having what brings purpose and joy to my life and getting out of the rut that my life in excess has created for me.

Stay strong on your journey and thank you for sharing!

@SoManyCookies

Hahaha, not sure I read this fully yesterday, but today I worked for over an hour on my finances spreadsheet.

Now I have a much clearer picture of income and expenses.

I think I only had the courage to do this after I resolved last week to have a bit of a No Spend November.

With Chrimbo coming up, I'm not going to buy any clothes for myself, and not browse in Target.

I can buy gifts for others, and food/cleaning/necessities, but no clothes, shoes, or browsing for me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

Good question, @RubyRed427 ! Sometimes cleaning can turn into decluttering. Fine line between the two.

This week I re-did my long-sleeve-top drawer and my sock drawer. I'm throwing out some old things that have been unworn for over 12 months.

Yesterday I did lots of sweeping with the brushpan and broom (great NEAT tip!) and put away lots of notes on scraps of paper and bits of stuff that had collected on my bedside table. Lots of walking from room-to-room.

Today I made a file for my health records and did my finance spreadsheet.

It takes a long time to find places for all the types of things we own.

I try not to stress about the things that gather during the week or over a couple of weeks that include a weekend away.

I know that I can restore order on an average weekend.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member

I've run into the same situation (many times). I've started putting things I'm not sure where to put them, on the couch, because its in my face. If I know where it goes, I put it away. I'm trying to take 15 minutes a day to keep things in order. Hopefully it'll become a habit.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Thank you all! I've had the desire to downsize and get rid of clutter, but haven't made much progress. Just as I can shed pounds, I can shed "stuff!" I won't be satisfied until I get it done. Thank you for encouraging me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I've been using this site for a couple of years now. It really helped me with getting rid of unwanted clutter and organise what was left. There are several challenges. I started with the 15-minutes-a-day one. You get step-by-step suggestions on how to declutter a bit at a time.

https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com

Cool! I'll check this out! (I'm already in the midst of my own de-cluttering challenge, but it's taking me forever...) ;)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,889 Member
    edited November 2018
    😎 Oops! Double posted. Lol!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

If you don't clear up as you go along this happens. I clean my bathroom sink each morning, otherwise it gets grotty really quickly, especially as Hubster doesn't seem to realise it needs cleaned. Lol!
    I've been using this site for a couple of years now. It really helped me with getting rid of unwanted clutter and organise what was left. There are several challenges. I started with the 15-minutes-a-day one. You get step-by-step suggestions on how to declutter a bit at a time.

https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com

{{{{{{ Terri }}}}}}}} You're fabulous, period. and THANK YOU so much for your posting, it's helping more than you know and more people than you can imagine. You ROCK, period. o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited November 2018
    Orphia~

Thank you Boo, you're the bombdotcom, period.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!