Fat loss stalled - need advice

Options
Long time into weightlifting- got the diet straight and lost a inch or so around the waist. ... would like to loose about 2% more bodyfat but at 51 years old / taking in about 2200 calories a day - my weight and body fat has been at a standstill... don’t really want to decrease calories but also I don’t want to do so much cardio to burn what nice muscles I worked hard to get on my lean 165lb frame - any advice is welcome

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    NunyaWest wrote: »
    Long time into weightlifting- got the diet straight and lost a inch or so around the waist. ... would like to loose about 2% more bodyfat but at 51 years old / taking in about 2200 calories a day - my weight and body fat has been at a standstill... don’t really want to decrease calories but also I don’t want to do so much cardio to burn what nice muscles I worked hard to get on my lean 165lb frame - any advice is welcome

the less fat you need to lose the longer its going to take. its going to be slow going. so you can either drop calories just a little and you wont burn your muscle off . get enough protein and keep lifting heavy.fat comes off in a deficit. is 2200 a deficit for you or maintenance?
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    2200 I think would be a slight (very slight) surplus - i am thinking to try 1800 calories at 35:40:25 P:C:F don’t know if that is too extreme
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2200 I think would be a slight (very slight) surplus - i am thinking to try 1800 calories at 35:40:25 P:C:F don’t know if that is too extreme

You're not going to lose any fat eating in a surplus.

1800 sounds better. 35% protein may be a little excessive? What are your stats?
  • NunyaWest
    Options
    5’10” 165lbs 51 years old - rather sedentary but do 1hr of lifting (good intensity) 4-5 days a week- with some treadmill and some walking.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    5’10” 165lbs 51 years old - rather sedentary but do 1hr of lifting (good intensity) 4-5 days a week- with some treadmill and some walking.

so around 130g of protein per day would be adequate. how much does 35% give you?
  • NunyaWest
    Options
    That puts me at 157g
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    That puts me at 157g

if you enjoy those macros then stick with it, but if you struggle with that much protein then i wouldn't worry about dropping it down a little.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    That puts me at 157g

Its good to consume a little more protein cutting, this helps preserve muscle while in a deficit. Getting close to 1 gram per your body weight isn't necessary but If you enjoy eating this much protein, consume the macros that fuel you the best. The leaner we get the harder it gets, but some precision with your calorie intake, consistency with your exercise, will provide you with results.

Look into recomp, could add a small deficit if you want (250 or less). Your best bet, is to follow a lifting program designed to help you with your specific lifting and aesthetic goals.

You'll have to work out your maintenance (if you don't know it), log your food intake, exercise and use your scale weight over a period of time (3-4+ weeks) when you reach the sweet spot continue with this intake and adjust as needed.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm having trouble picturing a person with your height and weight who has been lifting consistently having excess body fat? Can you post a pic? Or do you having a dexa or something that estimates your bf%? I'm guessing 2200 is around maintenance for you?

• Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I'm having trouble picturing a person with your height and weight who has been lifting consistently having excess body fat? Can you post a pic? Or do you having a dexa or something that estimates your bf%? I'm guessing 2200 is around maintenance for you?

I have to agree with this. I think you might have a little body dysmorphia and your mind's eye is seeing something that isn't there.

I do it all the time myself.

I did a bodyfat% test with the hydrotank and it came out at 11%, I was blown away. My brain was still telling me I was 20%+.
  • NunyaWest
    Options

Yes - 2200 is maintenance for me.
    I wouldn’t say I have excess bodyfat per say but dropping 2% is a goal I want to achieve as although I’ve always been thin - I’ve eaten lots of junk over the years and always carried fat at the midsection. I think the down 2% will result in a look that I can maintain. As far as the actual BF% my impedence scale say I am currently at 14% ( I don’t know how accurate that is but I use it as a reference) - got to figure out how to post a pic here
  • NunyaWest
    Options
  • NunyaWest
    Options
    @RoxieDawn thanks for that link - had no idea what I was trying to do was a thing - always was torn between cutting and bulking when it is recomposition I should have been looking for
  • mmapags
    Options

Yes - 2200 is maintenance for me.
    I wouldn’t say I have excess bodyfat per say but dropping 2% is a goal I want to achieve as although I’ve always been thin - I’ve eaten lots of junk over the years and always carried fat at the midsection. I think the down 2% will result in a look that I can maintain. As far as the actual BF% my impedence scale say I am currently at 14% ( I don’t know how accurate that is but I use it as a reference) - got to figure out how to post a pic here

Ah, ok. This info and the pic are helpful. I think the BI scale is off to the low side(typical of those type scales) but it gives you a baseline to measure against, though not very accurate. I think you are more like 16% or so based on the pic but you have good muscle development. So, congrats!

You could bring calories down by 400 or 500 for a period and see some results with fat reduction I would guess. I wouldn't do that for more than 8 weeks without taking a full diet break at maintenance for 2 weeks. Then evaluate and cut some more if you want to get even leaner. FWIW
  • mmapags
    Options
    curley871 wrote: »
    ever try intermediate fasting or one meal a day? you can eat the same amount of calories but in a shorter time window or just one meal. Great for also reducing high cholesterol, high blood sugar and high blood pressure.

You might want to spend a little more time gathering information on IF. First, it is intermittent fasting not intermediate. You eat in a shorter window but also must reduce calories to lose fat. Research to date in humans indicates that it can help with insulin sensitivity for those who are insulin resistant. There is no evidence of cholesterol benefits or blood pressure benefits.

There is nothing magical about it for weight loss. It is just an eating schedule.
  • NunyaWest
    Options
    @mmapags yeah my eyeball estimation is at 15-16% as well- so I’ll try 1800 for a bit - I let u know how it goes
  • mmapags
    Options
    Sounds good. I think you are on the right track to achieve your goals. Have you seen the "Full Diet Break" thread based on Lyle McDonald's article? You may find it useful to get to your goal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    curley871 wrote: »
    ever try intermediate fasting or one meal a day? you can eat the same amount of calories but in a shorter time window or just one meal. Great for also reducing high cholesterol, high blood sugar and high blood pressure.

Ive done intermittent fasting for more than 3 decades and its done NOTHING for my cholesterol. I dont have high blood sugar or blood pressure,never had. if you eat 1500 calories in one meal or 1500 calories in 3 meals its not going to make any difference you are still eating 1500 calories. meal timing means nothing when it comes to weight loss or fat loss. Ive lost,gained and maintained doing IF.
  • NunyaWest
    Options
    @mmapags no but I will look it up and check it out. Anything in particular I am looking for there?