Starting Keto

Options
Hi everyone! I’m back on MyFitnessPal, and ready to do things right! I’ve started the Keto diet, and would love some tips from those that have had experience on this diet.

Replies

• LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Get in electrolytes!!! Can not stress that enough. I've been at it for 6 months now and I know when I need more b/c I'll start getting headaches.
    Track your food for a few weeks. Just a good idea to see just how much you're actually eating. Especially on a restrictive diet like keto.
    First week or so... JUST EAT. Keto approved foods of course, but you may experience a lot of hunger while your body adjusts. Don't go over your carbs, but don't worry about calories. Just eat until you are satisfied. Fatty meats, eggs, pickles, olives, whatever.
    If you're starting to crave something, see if there is a keto-fied version out there. Won't be the same, but making an alternative version should help get you through a craving.
    Make sure you hit your protein macro every day.
    And IMO... do the diet however you can. If it's being super strict, do it. If it's having diet soda on it... then go for it. Do it however is sustainable for YOU.
  • kgreen82
    kgreen82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm renewing my commitment to "real" keto with the new year. I've been doing keto off and on since May of 2017. I've lost 50 pounds with about the same to go and have been stalled for several months. Time to get serious again.
  • zeds_dead_bb
    zeds_dead_bb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lil, thanks for your response! I’ve been sort of transitioning for this last week, I keep finding myself craving carbs at night, and end up bingeing, but each day gets better and easier. I’m going to make sure that today, I don’t binge, and keep my macros where they need to be. I find that if I stay away from the foods I should stay away from, I won’t binge, the minute I take a bite of something bing-worthy, I’m done for. This next week, will be diet focused, then the next week I’m going to introduce light exercise, perhaps just making sure I hit my 7-10,000 step goal for the week, and keep upping my game week to week. I feel like that’s how I’m going to be successful this time.

Try, thanks for the links!

Kgreen, you got this. 50 lbs! That’s awesome! I hope I can keep at this, and lose some weight myself. I’m tired of self-loathing, and it’s time for me to make a change in my life, or else I’m going to be stuck here for the rest of my time here. Good luck to you!
  • amiewilder
    amiewilder Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have done low carb before (similar to keto) after the first couple of weeks the sweet/carb cravings subside and it gets better. But if you cheat and eat carbs....that is the downfall.