Options
2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    NunyaWest wrote: »
    @mmapags no but I will look it up and check it out. Anything in particular I am looking for there?

Most of the content with links is in the first page or 2. They key part is how the effect of calorie restriction on the hormones that affect hunger signalling, lipolysis and adaptive thermogenesis. Bottom line is, during calorie restriction these hormones get progressively out of whack and rate of loss can slow. A refeed/ diet break for 2 weeks resets them and gets the loss back on track. This can especially be true for someone like you who is already fairly lean.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    5’10” 165lbs 51 years old - rather sedentary but do 1hr of lifting (good intensity) 4-5 days a week- with some treadmill and some walking.
    I'm having trouble picturing a person with your height and weight who has been lifting consistently having excess body fat? Can you post a pic? Or do you having a dexa or something that estimates your bf%? I'm guessing 2200 is around maintenance for you?

Yes - 2200 is maintenance for me.
    I wouldn’t say I have excess bodyfat per say but dropping 2% is a goal I want to achieve as although I’ve always been thin - I’ve eaten lots of junk over the years and always carried fat at the midsection. I think the down 2% will result in a look that I can maintain. As far as the actual BF% my impedence scale say I am currently at 14% ( I don’t know how accurate that is but I use it as a reference) - got to figure out how to post a pic here

Ah, ok. This info and the pic are helpful. I think the BI scale is off to the low side(typical of those type scales) but it gives you a baseline to measure against, though not very accurate. I think you are more like 16% or so based on the pic but you have good muscle development. So, congrats!

You could bring calories down by 400 or 500 for a period and see some results with fat reduction I would guess. I wouldn't do that for more than 8 weeks without taking a full diet break at maintenance for 2 weeks. Then evaluate and cut some more if you want to get even leaner. FWIW

second this idea - this is what the nutrition team i work with had me do - i did a 28 day reduction, with a 2 week break and then the choice of doing another 28 day cut or going back into a maintenance period (since i'm going to train for an early season marathon i decided to go back into maintenance) - but i saw a 4-5lb loss in that 28 days (164 to 158-ish)
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @deannalfisher any changes on your body fat? How were your energy levels?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @deannalfisher any changes on your body fat? How were your energy levels?

Energy has sucked but I feel slimmer - I need to take an after photos